Why isn't there a Dead State kickstarter thread? What's wrong with you guys?

Llyranor

5 people decided to back the game with 5000$, that's pretty crazy .. Who has that kind of money to throw at a game?

But extremely well done, I honestly didn't believe it would get above 200 grand.

Fortune favors the bald.

I wasn't that interested in this, but i'm still glad it got more than enough funding. Might play it when it's released, if it'll be good of course. :D

1.13 killed off Ja2.

5 people decided to back the game with 5000$, that's pretty crazy .. Who has that kind of money to throw at a game?

But extremely well done, I honestly didn't believe it would get above 200 grand.

That is pretty nuts. I don't think I'd spend $5000 on a video game, even if it was my dream game where the developer/publisher let me add/change anything I wanted along the development cycle.

Kudos to Doublebear, though. The game's definitely on my radar.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

The $5k donations were crazy. Nice that nearly all goals were met. I only donated the minimal $15 as it's just hard for me to get into turn based combat. I think it's something you have to grow up with to fully enjoy? The rest of the game outside of the combat is interesting though.

If I would have millions of euros, I would kick in 5k too, because why not. :>

Pretty sure the 5k's are from people who get a bit more money per year than generic folks.

Edited by Lexx

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

• 1 year later...
Update #37

DRM-Free and Steam Copies

This is important, so please read this if you do not want your copy of Dead State activated on Steam. The Early Access demo will activate on Steam and eventually become the full game, which for many backers, will be how the full game is delivered. Read carefully – everyone will get a Steam copy UNLESS you specify you don’t want a Steam copy.

The Early Access demo will ONLY be available through Steam. I’ll explain why at the end of this.

However, if you want a non-Steam version of the game, you will need to contact us here on Kickstarter. There are no current plans for the First Seven Days demo to be released separately from the Steam copy. If you backed us at the USB or box levels, you’re already getting a physical copy of the game without DRM and the Steam digital copy, so you’re covered either way.

I know there are many arguments about DRM and Steam, but here’s why we are distributing the Early Access demo through Steam.

-Aside from activation on Steam, there is NO DRM added to Dead State– if you have it installed on Steam, that’s it and there is no further authentication.

-Steam is the largest PC distribution platform in the world – most of our backers already have it installed or have asked us to release the game on Steam.

-Releasing on Steam saves us money on hosting the game privately, which is money we can use on production and that’s a pretty big factor for us.

-Steam activation is instant and we don’t have to worry about server overload or technical issues on our end.

-Backers who bought physical rewards such as the USB or box will be receiving copies of the game on physical media.

-We will most likely be releasing any expanded content we release on Steam first.

-Valve has made it clear that should anything ever happen to Steam, your copies will still be playable – at least, we guarantee we will make Dead State available should anything happen to Steam, barring any kind of robo-apocalypse where our machine masters forbid it.

“DRM” and “Steam” are trigger words for a large amount of PC gamers, but before you get outraged, note that we WILL have an option to download the full game (without the Early Access demo) eventually, but that Steam is going to be the fastest way to get your hands on the game. I highly advise anyone who is worried about Steam activation to read up on the latest information on the service. I have probably lost more physical media over the years and personally use Steam for most of my collection. We have not signed any agreements with any other distribution services yet, so please don’t ask us if we can activate your copy on another service – we don’t have that information yet and we won’t know until closer to release.

To recap: IF YOU DO NOT WANT A STEAM COPY, MESSAGE US HERE ON KS (Send a message for our records, don’t post in comments). Please get back to us as soon as possible.

IF YOU WANT A STEAM COPY, DO NOTHING – WE WILL SEND YOU A CODE WHEN THE DEMO IS OUT. If you have any additional questions about this, feel free to ask us in the comments or send us a message.

We’re working on progression testing and tracking down the last of our save/load and crash bugs. Every time we find a new showstopper, we need to fix it, create a new build, and start testing over again to make sure no other issues have been created. It’s a bit time-consuming given the demo’s length. Once we have a demo build with no major issues, we will create a Steam build of the game and upload it. We’re aiming for Wednesday, but there could be delays if testing shows any new issues. Thanks for your patience, everyone – we really appreciate it.

Edited by ShadySands
  • Like 1

Free games updated 3/4/21

Except Brian doesn't have to host a DRM-free version on his own private servers. Humble and GOG can do that.

You see, ever since the whole Doritos Locos Tacos thing, Taco Bell thinks they can do whatever they want.

Yep. Whole update reeks of laziness/ cheapness. Plenty of other KS give steam and gog keys, or use Humble, or whatever. Running a demo that morphs into the full product on steam (by choice, you can have demo keys time out per Div: OS, which has had few to no complaints) by default with time limited opt out based on an email/ following a game which is already a decent amount behind schedule; and when the tiers still proudly display 'drm free copy' is a richard move.

I don't read updates to KS generally, good thing I caught this one.

Yep. Whole update reeks of laziness/ cheapness. Plenty of other KS give steam and gog keys, or use Humble, or whatever. Running a demo that morphs into the full product on steam (by choice, you can have demo keys time out per Div: OS, which has had few to no complaints) by default with time limited opt out based on an email/ following a game which is already a decent amount behind schedule; and when the tiers still proudly display 'drm free copy' is a richard move.

I don't read updates to KS generally, good thing I caught this one.

Richard III?

As posted way back when, I backed this with no intention of actually playing the game - just as a favour to Brian. Needless to say, despite the decision having no personal consequence, it's a disappointing way to go about things and ensures there will be no repeat.

To clarify, the problem here isn't that Steam is an option, or even the promoted option, but that they're asking backers to make a decision *now* while remaining wholly noncommittal to what alternative platforms may be added later. Hell, why is it even a decision in the first place? A non-zero number of people will request DRM-free, so they'll have to host it somehow regardless. Just provide both versions, no exceptions.

There's precedent enough for this. The Banner Saga for example launched on Steam first, but said release came with the promise that the DRM-free version was coming (and is now available) and that redeeming a Steam key would not disqualify the backer from getting DRM-free afterwards. Likewise, for all the controversy over Shadowrun Returns, HBS were perfectly fine in allowing backers to get both the Steam and DRM-free versions without locking each other out. Is it some paranoia over potential lost sales? That doesn't even make any sense.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Update 38: Dead State on Steam Today, Info About Codes

Hey everyone,

Dead State is going on Steam in a matter of minutes. We're going to be sending out the codes for KS backers and Pre-Orders as fast as we can. Email server limits and issues may prevent us from sending them all out at once, but we will process them until we're done. If you don't get a code right away, don't worry, it's coming. If a day or two passes and you still don't have a code, message us and we'll see what we can do. At this point, the team is pretty wrecked, very little sleep, two leads down from fevers, etc. We're hoping to make this as smooth as possible, so please be patient.

Thanks, everybody - enjoy the demo, and please feel free to leave feedback on our forums!

I like it so far now that I've figured a lot of stuff out ...with the help of the manual :p

The RNG is fairly punishing but save scumming is quick and easy with quick save/load and fast load times. A lot of features are missing like character creation and advancement and the goals.

I think I'll shelve the game until the full release but it definitely has potential in my opinion

Edited by ShadySands