Piracy

No, you have to pay close attention, they are from the USSR. Which cracks me up to no end as most likely none of them were born in time to live one minute under Soviet rule.

Says "Born in USSR" in my Russian passport. Says "Born in Leningrad USSR" in my Belgian passport.

I love how americans talk without knowing a single thing about the eastern world, it cracks me up.

Actually we don't really spend much time at all talking about the eastern world. You, however, go on and on about the western world.

Says "Born in USSR" in my Russian passport. Says "Born in Leningrad USSR" in my Belgian passport.

I love how americans talk without knowing a single thing about the eastern world, it cracks me up.

So you have a document thats only valid for a maximum of ten years but still references a place that hasnt been a country for 22 years? Only in the USSR comrade.

My passport says Confederate States of America. True story.

Well, just that unlike games or movies, not every book gets pirated. Heh, I'll have to ask my friend about his reaction if his game gets cracked.

It seems the vast majority of stuff floating around (to put it nicely) on the internet is "easy" entertainment. Maybe people who read Tolstoy are more likely to buy the book than people who watch Indepence Day are likely to buy the dvd?

Yep, been too long since I checked. Doesn't matter if people who like readin Tolstoy are more pure or whatever, I think, high profile name so they'll put it out there. From what it seems though, good bit of Kindle files up, so who knows maybe they've just started grabbing anything and everything :lol:

Tolstoy's in the public domain (at least the earliest translations for non-original language versions) so you can legally make the text available any way you like. I can download War and Peace for free on a Kindle (if I had such a device).

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

If the therapist conducts their freelance work at the parlor, then the parlor may be shut down. It usually requires a few warnings and investigations first to see if the owners are actively trying to prevent the illegal activity.

What I'm saying here is TPB is not actively trying to prevent any illegal activity at their site, and so they can be held responsible.

Doesn't seem to work that way on the Internet. Read up on Kim dot Com's case, they were able to bust him because there's alleged proof that they not only knew that illegal **** was going on in their servers, but also actively encouraged it to make money.

If it were as simple as you say, there would be no online hosting services when, in fact, they pop up like mushrooms.

@delfosse: it's not that there's no freedom in the West (which is only true in an absolute and meaningless scale), but rather that no one really cares about that **** anymore.

pl_george_orwell.jpg

D:

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

So you have a document thats only valid for a maximum of ten years but still references a place that hasnt been a country for 22 years? Only in the USSR comrade.

I realize the intricacies of such simple things must be confusing you, but the passport copies what is written in the birth certificate, and you can't modify birth certificates. Don't worry, it's okay, you get confused about many things. I hear Americans even think they're the ones who won WW2. And that in their school books, the war is told to have been started on the D-Day. And that it's never explained that d-day actually means the opening of the second front line, because then all kinds of questions would arise, like "where was the 1st front line then?", etc. That might make people question things, etc. Don't want them to do such thing.

Hell, you're even taught "intelligent design" instead of evolution, so what am I complaining about?

Edited by Delfosse

You can keep your expired passports, no ?

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Yes; as I recall you can use them to get a renewed passport as well.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Yes; as I recall you can use them to get a renewed passport as well.

Of course you can keep it, nobody comes to your house to collect them after ten years. Well maybe in the USSR they do. But any current passport will reflect the current name of the country thats issuing it. Except mine. Mine has a Confederate flag draped in the backgroud but I dont show it to anybody as to not offend them. Its even personally signed by Jefferson Davis. And when you open it, it plays Dixie Land like one of those musical greeting cards.

I hear Americans even think they're the ones who won WW2. And that in their school books, the war is told to have been started on the D-Day. And that it's never explained that d-day actually means the opening of the second front line, because then all kinds of questions would arise, like "where was the 1st front line then?", etc. That might make people question things, etc. Don't want them to do such thing.

Hell, you're even taught "intelligent design" instead of evolution, so what am I complaining about?

Do you notice anything about your two quotes here? Anything at all?

• Like 1

Well you having a Confederate passport wouldn't surprise me.

I'd thought he just had an old one on hand, as I've no idea how old he is to begin with. Could always be weird clerical policies, too, record the name of the country as it was at the time.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I'd thought he just had an old one on hand, as I've no idea how old he is to begin with. Could always be weird clerical policies, too, record the name of the country as it was at the time.

I think we may be glossing over the point. The USSR is not a country anymore, and it is The Pirate Bay's fault.

I think we may be glossing over the point. The USSR is not a country anymore, and it is The Pirate Bay's fault.

Those bastards! And all because dedushka wasnt going to pay ONE GODDAMN MORE ruble to those iTunes thieves!

You should do PR for the place, I'm warming up to the site. :)

Fortune favors the bald.

Y'know, seems like Pirate Bay and other such places that claim they don't actually have anything to do (from their business side perspective) with piracy could easily manage complaints by actually monitoring what people upload. eg, approved uploads. And then not approve anything that has region/copyright still attached to it, if they're concerned about keeping those regions active to their site. But they complain that would be too much work/cost or perhaps technically too prohibitive/less "free" (boohoo - can't afford it, maybe you should find another business/hobby) and of course would mean their sites may not get as much traffic/use as they'd like, for whatever reasons.

Point being, while I do believe there are legitimate uses for torrent file sharing, there are ways to minimize the piracy-use of such claimed "freedom of expression" sites to the point where companies/specific country courts might leave them alone a lot more often. They just (seem to) choose not to.

....then again, what to do I know about such things. I'm just a dumb Western idiot who doesn't think personal rights necessarily trumps property/creative rights. :getlost:

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

I'll offtop a bit, cause I get provoked to answer very easily.

I don't know what you're all happy about. While USSR model was a real alternative in the world, western capitalism couldn't afford making its citizens look poor or stopping the progress and development. Now that USSR is no more, they're doing exactly that. Look at PIGS, look at British and US debt. Is it getting any better? No.

All the cheerful talk about the crisis being through with is just a fake, all 3 major credit rating agencies agree that all western countries are more and more prone to default, even US is having its rating downgraded gradually by major and minor agencies.

Now look at the Chinese growth. According to many analytics, their shadow GDP has already surpassed USA's partially artificially inflated GDP, and it will officially happen in 2017 if the trends don't change. As Lenin said, "politics are a concentrated expression of economy". The current worlds leaders aren't gonna want to leave without a fight, Anglo-Saxons never did it in the whole history. USA is already planting their bases in Australia for example.

Precisely because the bipolar world ceased to exist, and because monopolar one can't exist in its current state, there will be a war.

Keep on enjoying your gay iphones. For you, there are no consequences to anything. Even to gigantic things like the destruction of one of the two most powerful states in the world. "Oh it's dead, cool!"... You probably don't know it, but there were 7 civil wars immediately after the dissolution of the SU. Wonder why you don't know what was the price of the SU destruction in human lives? I doubt it. The price of a foreign human life in the West is $3 a piece.

Edited by Delfosse

That would definitely take a lot of resources for sites like TPB. That's not an absolute reason not to do it, but I'm not sure if they have any kind of revenue/hiring/logistics structure.

....then again, what to do I know about such things. I'm just a dumb Western idiot who doesn't think personal rights necessarily trumps property/creative rights. :getlost:

You protect laws that were lobbied by the rich for the rich. In the west, rich trumps poor. That's all there's to it.

Y'know, seems like Pirate Bay and other such places that claim they don't actually have anything to do (from their business side perspective) with piracy could easily manage complaints by actually monitoring what people upload. eg, approved uploads. And then not approve anything that has region/copyright still attached to it, if they're concerned about keeping those regions active to their site. But they complain that would be too much work/cost or perhaps technically too prohibitive/less "free" (boohoo - can't afford it, maybe you should find another business/hobby) and of course would mean their sites may not get as much traffic/use as they'd like, for whatever reasons.

Point being, while I do believe there are legitimate uses for torrent file sharing, there are ways to minimize the piracy-use of such claimed "freedom of expression" sites to the point where companies/specific country courts might leave them alone a lot more often. They just (seem to) choose not to.

Might be better to just take stuff down if some one complains, you put the onus on the thoroughly victimized, bleeding media companies to patrol the torrent sites.

Might be better to just take stuff down if some one complains, you put the onus on the thoroughly victimized, bleeding media companies to patrol the torrent sites.

They did that with youtube, although they allowed everyone to patrol youtube, not just the "bleeding" companies. Tons of creative material just gone. Things that you can't even buy, because nobody's selling it. They just own rights and they store it in some warehouse in the basement, so now nobody can have it.

That would definitely take a lot of resources for sites like TPB. That's not an absolute reason not to do it, but I'm not sure if they have any kind of revenue/hiring/logistics structure.

Yeah, I know it's not a likely technical scenario to try to police everything, or even close to it, even if you had millions. But you can at least make the good jolly try, to show companies etc. that you're trying/in good faith and all of that. YouTube, for example, isn't what I'd call exactly successful (heh) at keeping copyright stuff off, but with their automated algorithm programs for music and keywords (MLB footage, for example, is pretty much yanked off YouTube as soon as it's uploaded) it's at least something.

Do I always like that it means that sometimes someone's video of their baby walking around to half the length of a famous pop tune gets censored? No. But it's one of the better middle-grounds that I've seen re: this type of thing so far.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Tons of creative material just gone. Things that you can't even buy, because nobody's selling it. They just own rights and they store it in some warehouse in the basement, so now nobody can have it.

But that's the point of creative rights. Just because someone made it, doesn't mean they have to share it just because you want them to. They have their own personal right to use their creation as they see fit/feel like...whether we personally agree with it or not.

Edit:Oops wrong quoter...fixed, sorry.

Edited by LadyCrimson

Tons of creative material just gone. Things that you can't even buy, because nobody's selling it. They just own rights and they store it in some warehouse in the basement, so now nobody can have it.

But that's the point of creative rights. Just because someone made it, doesn't mean they have to share it just because you want them to. They have their own personal right to use their creation as they see fit/feel like...whether we personally agree with it or not.

You're funny. You assume people who created this material don't want it to be distributed, but I'm talking about some media company that inherited rights to the material whose creators are long dead. This kind of stuff, you can't even buy it anywhere, because those media companies aren't selling it, because there would only be a 100 buyers in the world, so it's just not worth it for them. And this way, priceless material is lost and forgotten. Just like Caliph Omar destroyed the priceless library of Alexandria, current laws are destroying all non-mainstream material. Posterity will call you ****ing idiots.

You're just a bleeding heart for the rich, unable to see the difference between the law and the morality because you've been brainwashed not to.

Edited by Delfosse

You're funny. You assume people who created this material don't want it to be distributed, but I'm talking about some media company that inherited rights to the material whose creators are long dead. This kind of stuff, you can't even buy it anywhere, because those media companies aren't selling it, because there would only be a 100 buyers in the world, so it's just not worth if for them. And this way, priceless material is lost and forgotten. Just like Caliph Omar destroyed the priceless library of Alexandria, current laws are destroying all non-mainstream material. Posterity will call you ****ing idiots.

You're just a bleeding heart for the rich, unable to see the difference between the law and the morality because you've been brainwashed not to.

The same things applies to the current owner of something. If someone sold the rights, the current owner of said rights can do as they please with it. Now if the original creator/owner was somehow shafted out of their rights (which happens sometimes) then that can be something different, but unfortunately legally the original owner may not have much recourse outside of trying to sue/take to court...which if the sale was done legally by whatever country/state process there is, they're unlikely to win.

As for bleeding heart - hahaha. If you knew me personally I doubt you'd think I was that much of a bleeding heart. But whatever, believe what you want.

I don't need your explanations of how the law works, that isn't what is being debated. You're like the good girl at school that always gets A's, always reports on everyone and sides herself with the teacher. Good for you that you know the school rules. But this is a grown up discussion and an adult world, in which the school teacher will pat you on the head for siding with her, then she'll take those millions that she got thanks to you and fly away to c

Edited by Delfosse

Delfosse, you need to cool it a bit - you are throwing generalizations left and right at people disagreeing with you, that's not a good approach.

Personally I too have a problem with material being withheld simply because it's not profitable to release and in many ways I think the current copyright laws are outdated in a digital society, but simply releasing all material for free would be detrimental to the creative process unless our entire value system was reworked of course, but since that isn't gonna happen anytime soon authors and creators of content need to be paid in order to motivate them to keep on producing.

Fortune favors the bald.