Guild Wars 2

all i need to know: if i liked the first one, will i like this one?

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

If you enjoyed 1 face per race in the first gw, you'll like gw2's character creation process as well.

Are you serious? GW2 has some of the best character creation options I've seen. The Sylvari face options are fantastic.

Sylvari_male_faces.png

Keep in mind you can then change the coloring, brow, lips, blah blah, until you have exactly what you want. Oh, the hair has some great options too.

Edited by Hurlshot

I was going to get it, but their stupid region locking means I can't until I'm back in the States. Maybe I won't bother at all then. Idiots.

Ex-WoW guildie threw me a beta key for this, so while I have no real interest in buying this (or any other MMO for the foreseeable future, really), I was bored enough to give it a try.

Character creation feels like the Sims, with more customisation of appearance than any MMO I've tried, and about on par with the likes of Bethesda's single player games. There are also a set of background questions, which while relatively shallow in absolute terms, appear to personalise the main questline to a degree. Think roughly like Mass Effect's sole survivor vs war hero vs ruthless option; at least as far as I can tell to my limited experience - only up to level 8 currently.

It's a shame then that the gameplay proper leaves me cold. Combat, at low levels at least, is doing nothing for me as a Thief: it's more or less leaving autoattack of your "free" cost ability on, and using the most damaging ability when the resource bar allows it. The story has been absolutely linear (and for the thief, out of character) so far, and there's some pretty cringeworthy dialogue.

I'll probably try one more class before this beta weekend is through, but at the moment I have to say I like it less than I did TOR, and I didn't last even one month with that.

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

Are you serious? GW2 has some of the best character creation options I've seen. The Sylvari face options are fantastic.

Keep in mind you can then change the coloring, brow, lips, blah blah, until you have exactly what you want. Oh, the hair has some great options too.

OH SORRY! 9 faces, all of them bad. Brows, lips, etc don't change anything, the difference is only slight, and changing the defaults to anything makes the face even uglier. I can't relate to any face in any race they've got. It's not that I'm a homophobe, but none of them are even slightly manly and I can't play gay characters, I don't relate to them. And to prove my words, the first Sylvari quest is about a gay couple (both males) being in trouble. I'm sorry, I'm just not into this gay thing.

HEY, I'M GW2, YOU WANNA PLAY A NEW AMAZING RACE OF TREE PEOPLE? HERE, THAT'S GONNA BE YOUR AVATAR!

greenman1.jpg

or maybe you used to play gnomes in other MMOs? COOL! We've got that too!

goodlucktrolls.jpg

Ok Delfosse, we get it. You are not a fan of the game.

I'm up to level 8 with my Asuran warrior. While the whole gnome angle doesn't appeal to me, the Asuran city is pretty amazing. It's a floating cube. The Sylvari city is less exciting to me, I've seen this whole nature grove thing before.

I've been trying different weapon combinations as a warrior to get a feel for them, and ArenaNet did a good job making them all very different. You unlock specific abilities for each weapon. For example, a two handed hammer has an entirely different ability bar than a sword and shield setup. You even have different abilities if you switch to two swords. You also have combat abilities underwater that change, basically you use a harpoon and need to unlock abilities for that too. It gives a nice variety of options.

Humanoid, as you level you unlock the 5 abilities on the right side bar, and then you spend skill points to get those. They become pretty important as combat gets harder. I also find myself moving around a lot in combat, so I don't get too bored with my autoattack going to town. One of the issues with beta is there is so many people around, the tactics you need to survive tough fights don't come into play as much, because you have a dozen people beating down the bad guys.

It is odd having relatively few abilities, especially after TOR which really had way too many. But the diversity of the skills available have kept me engaged so far.

One of the issues with beta is there is so many people around, the tactics you need to survive tough fights don't come into play as much, because you have a dozen people beating down the bad guys.

Try Kessex Hills, south of Queensdale. I spent an hour there before I met a second player. I think it's still pretty empty.

Vengeance is awesome. I don't what the specific requirements are, but I didn't drop dead when it ended if I managed to complete an event while under it's effect, I think. It pronounced last ditch effort feel of the skill greatly. :D

Edited by Oner

Ok Delfosse, we get it. You are not a fan of the game.

I'm up to level 8 with my Asuran warrior. While the whole gnome angle doesn't appeal to me, the Asuran city is pretty amazing. It's a floating cube. The Sylvari city is less exciting to me, I've seen this whole nature grove thing before.

I've been trying different weapon combinations as a warrior to get a feel for them, and ArenaNet did a good job making them all very different. You unlock specific abilities for each weapon. For example, a two handed hammer has an entirely different ability bar than a sword and shield setup. You even have different abilities if you switch to two swords. You also have combat abilities underwater that change, basically you use a harpoon and need to unlock abilities for that too. It gives a nice variety of options.

Humanoid, as you level you unlock the 5 abilities on the right side bar, and then you spend skill points to get those. They become pretty important as combat gets harder. I also find myself moving around a lot in combat, so I don't get too bored with my autoattack going to town. One of the issues with beta is there is so many people around, the tactics you need to survive tough fights don't come into play as much, because you have a dozen people beating down the bad guys.

It is odd having relatively few abilities, especially after TOR which really had way too many. But the diversity of the skills available have kept me engaged so far.

The skills are the same, even though they've got different names and icons. The way they are cast is basically the same. Unlike other MMos where you know what your opponent is casting, in GW2 you've got no idea. And it doesn't matter much, because the spells do the same thing, the damage moderately and that's it. The only thing changing is the area of effect and the duration of the spell. I can't tell the difference otherwise. They're all the same.

You know how in WoW you could tell what spec the mage has, you knew exactly how to kill him, you knew what he was gonna do and what he was gonna cast and in what order? You know how many escapes he's got, you knew what to do with him depending on your class. It doesn't exist in here. In here, water spec heals you a bit. Other specs (fire, ground, something else) damage. Difference? None. Does the way you move change anything? No. How many escapes he's got? Doesn't matter, there are no stunning abilities and no nuking abilities, only moderately damaging abilities.

If they expected to make this game PVP-oriented, they have failed oh so much. No professional PVP can be made in this game. Maaaaaybe strategic PVP. That's a big maybe.

PVE? Maddeningly boring. Rift-like or wow-like pve. SWTOR and Secret World at least offer some PVE that looks like a single player game. That's SOMETHING. There's none of it here.

Player interaction? No, everyone is self-sufficient.

New mechanisms? Nope. I could come up with 20 revolutionary game mechanics for MMOs, I don't even have to be a genius. I just open ADOM or MUDs and play them half an hour, then take amazing ideas that people used to come up with when there was no graphics. Nowadays, it's just about making FX with a lot of lights/flickering and sluggish controls, and nothing else is required. You've got yourself a game, you sell it, make money, you're happy, because all you cared about in the first place was money.

I'd say that this game has no soul, but it's much more than that. Warhammer was bad. SWTOR was worse. Now Secret World is worse, too. And now we've got GW2 even worse than all previous MMOs. First they made pop music bad after the 80s, then made movies bad after the 90s, then single player games after around 2003, now they've ruined MMOs and make them worse and worse every year. And all this is partly because of people like you who've got no taste and will swallow anything, they're the core audience and they bring in all the money. Until you keep saying it's good, nothing is gonna get better. Don't ****ing play it.

Edited by Delfosse

Spent the last hour trying to comb together a trait build for my warrior. Still not done, but the world is starting to spin.

http://en.gw2codex.com/build/generator/

Note that it's not up-to-date yet.

It feels a lot less like a card game, and a lot more like an action game. Otherwise, what Hurl said.

I basically missed this event, lot of irl things going down these past weeks... still aiming to be in the headstart though, as a sylvari ranger most likely.

Have you checked this out?

http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=welcome

I hadn't played the original in a number of years, and I was never super into it to begin with, but the Hall of Monuments has me hooked. In the last few days I've taken one character through about half of the original campaign, and I've got 6 points towards some legacy gear for Guild Wars 2.

The nice thing is I had old characters that had sat for about 7 years, and they had all these birthday presents that count towards the hall of monuments.

Took half a year, but managed to get my 30 points. :D

I'm struggling a bit, I feel like I'm always out of money. I really need some Deldrimor armor remnants to upgrade my heroes, but there is no way I have the time to run a dungeon 5 different times. I know the Cloth of the Brotherhood is cheaper, but it also requires finishing a good chunk of the Eye of the North campaign.

I also need just one more minipet to get my collection to twenty. That seems like an achievable goal at least.

Took half a year, but managed to get my 30 points. :D

I'm struggling a bit, I feel like I'm always out of money. I really need some Deldrimor armor remnants to upgrade my heroes, but there is no way I have the time to run a dungeon 5 different times. I know the Cloth of the Brotherhood is cheaper, but it also requires finishing a good chunk of the Eye of the North campaign.

I also need just one more minipet to get my collection to twenty. That seems like an achievable goal at least.

I'd say it's bbetter to go through the EotN storyline. You'll make progress with some title tracks, get money and unlock the related missions for the daily Zaishen quests, which net you a lot of money if done regularly. Besides, Slaver's Exile is really hard.

I also usualy break down items of around 55 gold value into iron ore and sell the stack.

I've only got a few more days before I go back to work, so I'm hoping to just buy one Deldrimor remnant, so I can get one hero in, which is worth two points.

Other than that I plan on finishing the Prophecies storyline and calling it a career.