Guild Wars 2

I may have said this a couple of times already, but the engineer is loads of fun. The pistols are AOE and the rifle is single target damage/distance creator. Tougher enemies require you to cycle between net shot and overcharged shot to keep them back while your turrets pound away at them. The turrets are a bit of a pain to use (have to pick them up when the area is clear) and I don't have the targeted turret deploying trait yet.

I don't think it's real open beta, is it? eg, if you didn't sign in for beta long ago you can't get into this? From what I'm reading they were having similar server issues as D3 - too much load for many. Not a bad thing, typical of popular betas. Is it still going to be the same as GW1 where if you wanted to play solo much of the time, you could - with AI companions and such?

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

No companions, but you can solo most things. I solod an even that was 4 levels higher, was easy as long as I was careful *cough* and no Veteran Aataxes spawned *cough*. On the other hand, there will be people in the area with you most of the time, but partying is not required. Other players' presence really is not a hindrance anymore.

And yes, it was an invitational beta. Server issues weren't as big when I logged in (1,5 hours after the initial launch). After the initial horde of people got past the log in, things became smoother.

im kind of bummed out that there will be people running around everywhere, i really liked in guild wars 1 that the only time i had to see other players was in town

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Sorry, open in the sense that there's no NDA and it's not press-only, it's for everyone who pre-ordered.

I actually ended up buying it, so I'm in today. Yesterday I couldn't get in, there was some serious login problem with the European server as I heard - lot of people couldn't get in, but today I managed to put in quite a few hours and it's fun.

I played solo for now, absolutely doable. You have a private story which has instanced maps like GW1 but outside of that it's really is an MMO. But mobs seem to scale to the number of people around and there are some funny moments when strangers actually want to revive you and stuff. :)

I didn't like MMOs so far, mainly because of the subscription model - and the lot of running around... And there's still a lot of running around, but this 'event' system does feel more interesting then the 'standard' questing thing and I don't know if it would be possible to do in a single player game/experience. jmo

im kind of bummed out that there will be people running around everywhere, i really liked in guild wars 1 that the only time i had to see other players was in town

Yeah, it's what made it feel different, outside of being non-subscription fee, of course.

Sounds more like WoW/others then, these days, then the original. I don't mean gameplay/style similarity, to be clear...I have no idea on that at all...just mean the MMO mechanics. But at least no monthly fee, so that's still a plus.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Ooookay, now I can't log in. :lol:

The story is pretty good too, btw. The first few personal story bits are kinda boring, but then it starts to kick in. The missions are more fun and you do more intriguing stuff. The writing isn't so narmy as the first game either.

Edited by Oner

Well if iirc they said that it will be possible to play through only 'your story' which consists of separate instances fwiw. But despite playing solo I'm surprisingly sticking to events and overlooked the personal part so far.

But the skill mechanics are very different from GW1. More action, less 'trying to come up with the best chain'. Not that you can't optimize your skill usage, but it's less forefront. It's more 'streamlined' I guess. :p:)

Guest Slinky

So there I was, thinking about would I like this game. Got rid of my hate against MMORPG's with The Old Republic, maybe I'd like this one too. Could check this one out at least?

asuraingame.jpg

I think I'll wait the world of darkness MMO.

Says the guy who played an SW MMO. :p

Steampunk is mostly limited to charr and engineers. Don't see where you guys get your anime bs all the time. Everythings an anime to you. :rolleyes:

Edited by Oner

Says the guy who played an SW MMO. :p

Steampunk is mostly limited to charr and engineers. Don't see where you guys get your anime bs all the time. Everythings an anime to you. :rolleyes:

I guess I can understand not liking the look of the Star Wars universe, but at least it is unique. You can pretty much always tell it is TOR when you look at a screenshot.

Guild Wars looks terribly generic, and it totally looks like anime. Plus I can hardly tell the difference between this, Tera, Final Fantasy, Lineage, and every other game out there.

I found GW1 generic even when it was new, but I still found it fun. Generic doesn't always = boring, if one likes the gameplay and all of that stuff. I don't know about the anime either. Outside of that one screenie up there, I don't think it looks like anime at all.

Whether GW2 is a fun/good ARPG/MMO game I reserve judgement on since I haven't played it.

i really liked guild wars 1 for a lot of reasons, but primarily for the way the necromancer played, hopefully that character class still feels similar but with more options in the new one

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I guess I can understand not liking the look of the Star Wars universe, but at least it is unique. You can pretty much always tell it is TOR when you look at a screenshot.

Oh, I like the look of Star Wars, as you said, it is unique. Problem is, every era of SW looks exactly the same. Storm troopers? All the same. Capital ships? Star destroyers, all of them. I brought up the blandness of TOR because it's made by people who copy/paste the same 'ancient evil is back, go three places, smash them' story since 2002, set in a universe that is the most persistent ever, because everything is either made by fans who are so hardcore that they feel the urge to stuff everything full with references and creae whole games as memorials to the original trilogy, or by George Lucas. Lucas is the only one who makes any actual changes in the setting. Too bad all he's doing is trying to retcon details. And to top it all off, the game is based entirely on WoW. Fetch quests, raiding (by which I mean begging an hour for a healer/tank to show up), stand around hotkey spamming combat, classes that are differentiated by their damage:survivability ratio and wether they heal or not... and then you call GW2 bland?

[/qGuild Wars looks terribly generic, and it totally looks like anime.

http://i.imgur.com/XaHac.jpg

vs

http://pctrs.network.hu/clubpicture/1/1/9/7/_/suzumiyaheadband_anime_1197738_5020.jpg

Yep, totally anime. Want to borrow my glasses? Compare this to TOR's flat out cartoon look.

GW2 isn't generic. It's a fantasy that's finally willing to look down to earth (except for the friggin' greatswords). Humans are humans, what do you expect them to look like? Gelatine?

Plus I can hardly tell the difference between this, Tera, Final Fantasy, Lineage, and every other game out there.
Sure, since you don't bother looking.

As for why the game get's so much love: They pushed the verisimilitude of the world with the dynamic events, content that's actually fun; a story with choice and consequences; a character bio, like in DA:O; lot's of lore, developers who are not just passionate but obviously competent (well, most of them). Other people are actual help in this game, not just baggage you don't need. Modern combat mechanics instead of that outdated crap. Truly different classes. I don't see why it is so hard to see what's so good about GW2. The trailers, videos and blog posts are all there, for all to see.

i really liked guild wars 1 for a lot of reasons, but primarily for the way the necromancer played, hopefully that character class still feels similar but with more options in the new one

I tried the necromancer briefly, it's a good class. Minion masters aren't as spammy as in 1, but they still have their diverse builds.

Just like all the classes. Unique, varied builds. Not just tanks, DPSs and healers :p

Before you get too up in arms, Oner, I did enjoy the combat and gameplay of the original Guild Wars and I'm sure that GW2 does a great job at that. This really is a matter of taste, so no need to get too defensive about it. It really comes down to the character models for me.

000grzxh-300x225.jpg

The stance and the body type are very different. Your character in GW2 has a very waif-ish look.

GW1vsGW2-260x300.jpg

Here is one from Tera, which actually looks good but is still not the type of character style that appeals to me:

f7e0a8920f716988.png.png

Here is some Final Fantasy doll image.

final_fantasy_13_play_arts_kai_serah.png

Forgot how rubber everything looks in TOR.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Really enjoying the beta so far. Love the combat and animations of the Thief. Haven't played any of the other classes yet. Graphically the game is beautiful. I love the style of the game. Lord of the Rings was the best looking MMO I played until now. My only complaint would be FPS issues in certain areas mainly the events which remind me alot of public quests in Warhammer. There was just so many people doing it at the same time that it almost became unplayable and I have a pretty decent computer. It's beta though so I'm sure Arenanet will get this fixed before the game launches. Those events need to be instanced so there's a cap as to how many players can be in one area at one time. Haven't messed with crafting yet and I need to because its a big deal for me. Overall, though, I love the game and definitely going to be playing this at launch.....and no monthly fee to boot!