Shadowrun Returns

Guest Slinky

Old schoolish dialog heavy rpg... with a checkpoint save system  :huh:

That's an.. interesting design choice.

More technical limitation than design choice. I think I heard they had problems implementing manual saves and not enough money to get around them.

That really sucks :(

That means if I'd get a less desirable outcome from one dialog option, or would like to check the other options out of curiosity, I'd have to replay a portion of the game to get back where I was. And I play around with dialogues A LOT.

Looks like I have to pass this one.. really a shame, like dialog heavy rpg's rain from the sky.

Old schoolish dialog heavy rpg... with a checkpoint save system  :huh:

That's an.. interesting design choice.

More technical limitation than design choice. I think I heard they had problems implementing manual saves and not enough money to get around them.

That really sucks :(

That means if I'd get a less desirable outcome from one dialog option, or would like to check the other options out of curiosity, I'd have to replay a portion of the game to get back where I was. And I play around with dialogues A LOT.

Looks like I have to pass this one.. really a shame, like dialog heavy rpg's rain from the sky.

I actually think it's kind of good.  It'll force me to role-play more, and actually commit to certain choices instead of reloading a few times to see where they go.  (Which I am always tempted to do, no matter how hard I tell myself not to.)

IIRC, there's something about not being able to loot bodies either.

I think that they said in one of the Q&As that they decided not to do loot able bodies in their campaing, except in some occasions to furher plot, but you can do loot able bodies with editor, so at least people can make them in their own campaings.

Again it is a budget title, you can buy it for $20 so I'm not surprised by some of the limitations.

I'm really excited to hear the buzz about the toolset.  Hopefully we will get a good modding community going and end up with some amazing user campaigns.

Yeah, I used to meta-game dialogue options.  These days I stick with an outcome, even if it's not what I expected.  To each their own.

sky_twister_suzu.gif.bca4b31c6a14735a9a4b5a279a428774.gif
🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

I'm excited to get my hands on the tools.  After I finish the main campaign I plan to give it a looksie and hopefully get crackin' on some shadowrunning goodness.  Hopefully this will grow into something like the NWN modding community, so many awesome community made modules for that game.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

"Any organization created out of fear must create fear to survive." - Bill Hicks

When I was in college, I actually started working on a Shadowrun type game with an artist friend and a programmer friend.  We really only planned out a couple mission ideas, but I'm going to see if I can make them work with the toolset.

One of my story ideas I'm trying to figure out how to make it more Shadowrun. It already leaned Cyberpunk so that's a bonus.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

When I was in college, I actually started working on a Shadowrun type game with an artist friend and a programmer friend.  We really only planned out a couple mission ideas, but I'm going to see if I can make them work with the toolset.

Sweet.  You got a head start then.

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

It is a relatively short game, so you'll probably be able to play through it with different styles easily enough.

Any idea how long?  Thought I heard something like 10 to 15 hours.

That's the word out on the street I'm hearing too.

Edit: Woot!  It's downloading.

Edited by Keyrock

🇺🇸RFK Jr 2024🇺🇸

I already completed the game thanks to a review copy I got a couple of days back. You're in for a treat, chummers. Regarding story length 10 - 15 hours is about exactly right. Took me about 17 hours because I ****ed up one run and there's no quicksave button. If you can understand German, head over to combobreaker.ch

Also, if you've got any questions, ask away! 

Yeah, I used to meta-game dialogue options.  These days I stick with an outcome, even if it's not what I expected.  To each their own.

That's not so bad, because a lot of the dialogue options are pure flavour and I never ran into a reeaaaally drastic consequence, to be honest. 

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

I already completed the game thanks to a review copy I got a couple of days back. You're in for a treat, chummers. Regarding story length 10 - 15 hours is about exactly right. Took me about 17 hours because I ****ed up one run and there's no quicksave button. If you can understand German, head over to combobreaker.ch

Gut geschriebenes Review. Ein bisschen überschwänglich zuweilen (Speziell bei der Story. Oder besser gesagt hätte ich *gehört zu den best geschriebenen Rollenspielen* eher ins persönliche Fazit getan als mitten in den Text wo es meiner Meinung nach eher Bias ausdrückt.) Einleitung ist klasse.

Aber ist ja egal. ;) Aufjedenfall hat das Review noch mal meine Vorfreude vergrössert. Danke. :)

Edited by C2B

Gut geschriebenes Review. Ein bisschen überschwänglich zuweilen (Speziell bei der Story. Oder besser gesagt hätte ich *gehört zu den best geschriebenen Rollenspielen* eher ins persönliche Fazit getan als mitten in den Text wo es meiner Meinung nach eher Bias ausdrückt.) Einleitung ist klasse.

Aber ist ja egal. ;) Aufjedenfall hat das Review noch mal meine Vorfreude vergrössert. Danke. :)

Dankeschön! Freut mich, dass es dir gefallen hat :)

Zum Bias: Wir schreiben klar subjektiv gefärbte Reviews, da so etwas wie Objektivität in einer journalistischen Berichterstattung prinzipiell unmöglich ist (das fängt schon bei einzelnen Wörtern an und so weiter, aber ich will dich da nicht mit Unitheoriegefachsimpel langweilen) und noch unmöglicher  ( :D ), wenn es um Rezensionen von "Kulturprodukten" geht. Deshalb vergeben wir auch keine Prozentpunkte, da man so etwas einfach weder objektiv, noch irgendwie wissenschaftlich bewerten kann :) In dem Sinne: Ja, der Bias ist klar! :D

Edited by SophosTheWise

Elan_song.gif

Zum Bias: Wir schreiben klar subjektiv gefärbte Reviews, da so etwas wie Objektivität in einer journalistischen Berichterstattung prinzipiell unmöglich ist (das fängt schon bei einzelnen Wörtern an und so weiter, aber ich will dich da nicht mit Unitheoriegefachsimpel langweilen) und noch unmöglicher  ( :D ), wenn es um Rezensionen von "Kulturprodukten" geht. Deshalb vergeben wir auch keine Prozentpunkte, da man so etwas einfach weder objektiv, noch irgendwie wissenschaftlich bewerten kann :) In dem Sinne: Ja, der Bias ist klar! :D

Ja, ist klar.

Einleitung war klasse gemacht wo wir schon hier sind. :)

Das is natürlich auch meine persönliche Meinung und hier ist es auch gar nicht ein schlimmes Beispiel. Aber aus der Perspektive des Lesers habe ich es schon einige Male erlebt wo das Bias übertrieben wurde (was ich schlimm finde). Oder besser gesagt wenns ins Eigenlob und ähnliches übergeht.

Um zwei Beispiele zu nennen

- Das South Park: Stick of Truth Preview von Pure Sophistry

- Das Shadowrun: Returns Review von Blistered Thumbs

Beide stellen während ihres Reviews die eigene Meinung in den Vordergrund (z.b Ich bin DER South Park Fan/Ich bin DER Rollenspiel Experte) um die Validität ihrer Meinung zu verdeutlichen und argumentieren über spezifisches, das wahrscheinlich die wenigsten interessiert. (Das Stick of Truth Preview ist hier hervorzuheben, da der Autor soweit geht uns mitzuteilen wie viele Male exakt "**** you, bitch" gesagt wurde)

Das kann dir natürlich egal sein. Wollte nur aufzeigen woher meine Befürchtungen kommen.

• Like 1

Ja, ist klar.

Einleitung war klasse gemacht wo wir schon hier sind. :)

Das is natürlich auch meine persönliche Meinung und hier ist es auch gar nicht ein schlimmes Beispiel. Aber aus der Perspektive des Lesers habe ich es schon einige Male erlebt wo das Bias übertrieben wurde (was ich schlimm finde). Oder besser gesagt wenns ins Eigenlob und ähnliches übergeht.

Um zwei Beispiele zu nennen

- Das South Park: Stick of Truth Preview von Pure Sophistry

- Das Shadowrun: Returns Review von Blistered Thumbs

Beide stellen während ihres Reviews die eigene Meinung in den Vordergrund (z.b Ich bin DER South Park Fan/Ich bin DER Rollenspiel Experte) um die Validität ihrer Meinung zu verdeutlichen und argumentieren über spezifisches, das wahrscheinlich die wenigsten interessiert. (Das Stick of Truth Preview ist hier hervorzuheben, da der Autor soweit geht uns mitzuteilen wie viele Male exakt "**** you, bitch" gesagt wurde)

Das kann dir natürlich egal sein. Wollte nur aufzeigen woher meine Befürchtungen kommen.

Ah, ich verstehe total was du meinst. Nein, eine Meinung sollte natürlich schon aus einer Argumentation hergeleitet werden können, da stimme ich dir absolut zu. Das versuche ich natürlich zu vermeiden, auch wenn man natürlich noch dazu sagen muss, dass wir Reviewer uns halt manchmal schon etwas zu wichtig nehme, aber ich gebe mir Mühe das natürlich einzudämmen! :)

Aber danke für das Lob! Vielleicht bringt die wieder mal etwas auf unsere Seite! :)

Elan_song.gif

Hey swinehunds, use the spoiler tags and write english please.

Du wollst lernen Deutsch und mag es.
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."