Making simple games

I think it depends on what skills you're trying to learn. Using an existing engine will teach you some of the skills you'd need, and hey you may even make a game, and in some respects that's worth it. It's a long route, which I feel leaves the end user with massive technical gaps, and a dependency on existing technologies.

I would also recommend this as another good way to develop something small and simple: http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/1430209798

There must be a reason though why game developer always use a game engine these days. Maybe they don't feel like constantly re-inventing the wheel? :p

Making a game engine from scratch really only makes sense if you are interested in the tech aspects (or your game revolves around a particular new feature you want to introduce). If you are mostly concerned about the game design and content, it makes sense looking at what's already available. E.g. this thread about Fife (new homepage)

I wouldn't disagree with you, but it really depends what the focus is.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

Aren't you an engine programmer? I mean there could be a hint of bias.

Like if I was asked about lazy slackabouts. I think they're great and hold society together.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."