Obsidian's Secret Project

Nines

There is no buisness tactic against a publisher cancelling a project on a middle-sized private dev.

Other than that considering their last two games their own buisness side has improved immensly from the beginning already. Thats not to say its perfect and they shouldn't look for other methods to get money but just a little bit defending here. They have (seemingly) already restructered quite a few times.

That's true and I honestly have no easy solution for the situation! Honestly, the game industry is kind of bad place to work in (any kind of creative industry is, I suppose, though I don't really have stories on e.g. the movie industry).

That's true and I honestly have no easy solution for the situation! Honestly, the game industry is kind of bad place to work in (any kind of creative industry is, I suppose, though I don't really have stories on e.g. the movie industry).

With Kickstarter I think some of the talented companies can get some capital of their own, so they don't have to rely on publishers. But even then getting the capital to make AAA quality projects will be damn hard if not even impossible. And everyone and their mom know that publisher model doesn't work for devs, it only works for publishers and even for them it works badly. If you look at where gaming was back in the 90's and you compare it to what it is now, it's pretty sad. While gaming in general is popular and there more ways to get your products into the market the AAA games / publisher released games have gone down the drain. It's just sequels after sequels, generic shooters, licence games and sports games (Yes, I'm exaggereting a bit) with massive gudgets. There's no room for new IP's or actually something innovative, even though if it's not that expensive to make that.

At least there's still Paradox, they actually try to make games that aren't generic clones of what everyone else is making.

Edited by Flouride

Hate the living, love the dead.

The fact that they (apparently) laid off someone who had just started working is generating a lot of bad publicity on the bigger gaming press. Won't be helpful for when they'll eventually have to hire again :/

It's sad that dev takes the reputation hit, while the publisher remains anynomous even though it's publishers call to kill the project.

• Like 1

The fact that they (apparently) laid off someone who had just started working is generating a lot of bad publicity on the bigger gaming press. Won't be helpful for when they'll eventually have to hire again :/

It's sad that dev takes the reputation hit, while the publisher remains anynomous even though it's publishers call to kill the project.

It's also unjustified. If it was really Sawyer's project this was very sudden as Sawyer was still checkin' Design Documents shortly before GDC.

It's also unjustified. If it was really Sawyer's project this was very sudden as Sawyer was still checkin' Design Documents shortly before GDC.

Indeed, but like always the publishers name won't be mentioned due to NDA's. So people like me can't boycott their ****** products unless they are dirt cheap on Steam.

Uhm, I don't want to fearmonger though, I was just taking a look on Joystiq. GAF, for example, doesn't seem to be pissed at Obsidian about that.

GAF writers are pretty educated when it comes to gaming business, it's the masses of tards that write on some of other sites that I would worry about.

Can a publisher even pull out in the middle of a project? Aren't there any commitments/clauses that binds them to the agreement?

We're talking about the gaming industry here. I figure it's something like "Why do you complain. You are working on GAMES!"

GAF writers are pretty educated when it comes to gaming business, it's the masses of tards that write on some of other sites that I would worry about.

No, there are some that are quite well versed but a ****load of really pretentious people too. The mentioned thread isn't that great as well.

Well, this definitely sounds good.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

So, can anyone with more insight in this stuff say... How high is the chance for North Carolina to be picked up by some other publisher? Would that even work at all?

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

"the owners weren't paid for 6-7 months"

Any hints who the publisher was supposed to be?

It'd be interesting if it's THQ considering the South Park situation.

No hints from the tipster, at least from now. And THQ is not funding South Park as far as I know, just distributing it (I think they were working on South Park before signing the contract with THQ in fact). Still yeah, South Park doesn't seem to be in the best position either :/

South Park in doubt? Kickstarter immediately. Shut up and take my money MCA & Feargus.

Edit: Oh and WUE, I seriously hope your tipster names and shames the publisher.

Edited by Flouride

What? Is South Park at peril too?

It's all in Buck's article already, they resized the South Park team/it was affected too. I don't think it will get canceled, but between that and the THQ problems it's certainly not in the best position. It does sound like a project Matt Stone and Trey Parker care about a lot, so I think they'll try to make it work out in some way. Hopefully it works out for Obsidz too in the end.

EDIT: Devs listed on LinkedIn down to 116.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

What? Is South Park at peril too?

It's all in Buck's article already, they resized the South Park team/it was affected too. I don't think it will get canceled, but between that and the THQ problems it's certainly not in the best position. It does sound like a project Matt Stone and Trey Parker care about a lot, so I think they'll try to make it work out in some way. Hopefully it works out for Obsidz too in the end.

So it is. Don't know how I managed to miss that part.

So it's all going more or less downhill now... that's just wonderful. :getlost:

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."