Obsidian's Secret Project

Nines

What's Tim Cain's "job title"? Designer, senior programmer...?

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

Uh.. I don't know how I feel about that if that's true. Obsidian has a really bad track record with using other people's technology, while they've had a lot less problems using theirs and actually produced a technically solid game with it... and Feargus actually commented that they always hit roadblocks when they use engines outside of their intended purpose, like using UE3 for an RPG despite the fact that it didn't have built-in systems :/ I hope it'll turn out to be an Onyx project.

It also seems to contradict a lot of what we heard before. Like Avellone talking about future Onyx titles and especially Anthony Davis talking about how Dungeon Siege III and its development were responsible for getting that contract.

But Obsidian never made a game which supports DX11.

We are.. aware of that? They'll have to learn either way, since next-gen is getting closer and that will most likely be the de facto standard for the next consoles (minus the Wii U maybe). In fact, I would have initially hazarded the guess that this was a nex-gen project, but to be honest, Obsidian is very unlikely to get dev kits for those consoles.

But Obsidian never made a game which supports DX11.

And what has that to do with which engine they are using? (Edit: That is, if I haven't misunderstood you)

Maybe they implented DX11 support in Onyx (we know not really a lot about the engine in the first place).

Edited by C2B

I wouldn't worry about the game being made on CryEngine just because one guys lists CryEngine on his skillsets. I would imagine some of them learn to use other engines on their spare time, or they will look into others engines to see how something is done on that engine just so they can try to use that on Onyx as well.

Hate the living, love the dead.

I will still keep my finger crossed for a DE:HR sequel. :)

Is that even possible? It seems like they work on a more complex engine. That would be really cool though.

I'm.. not sure what this means? Anyway, it's not like it's impossible, but to be honest I'd really prefer to see Obsidian focus on its own project and Eidos Montreal to continue working on Deus Ex themselves. It's not like they have a connection to the franchise anyway.. at most they could do a spin-off.

Considering what just happened, I hope this doesn't mean that Josh got/gets kicked too. Start a Kickstarter Obsidian, we'll throw money at you, no questions asked, to atleast keep some of these employees for a while.

Josh didn't get kicked when they canceled Aliens so I don't think they'll kick him out now. The lay-offs are "only" 20-30 employees after all ("only" because it's actually a lot of people for Obsidian, basically a fourth/fifth of their workforce). And honestly Kickstarter seems like a good avenue to focus on at least for now, until they manage to come up with a plan. I don't want to sound like an annoying parrot, but the company probably needs some restructuring because business-wise it doesn't seem to be working well.

)And honestly Kickstarter seems like a good avenue to focus on at least for now, until they manage to come up with a plan. I don't want to sound like an annoying parrot, but the company probably needs some restructuring because business-wise it doesn't seem to be working well.

There is no buisness tactic against a publisher cancelling a project on a middle-sized private dev.

Other than that considering their last two games their own buisness side has improved immensly from the beginning already. Thats not to say its perfect and they shouldn't look for other methods to get money but just a little bit defending here. They have (seemingly) already restructered quite a few times.

Edited by C2B