Let's Play: Baldur's Gate Trilogy - Ch26 (Mae'Var)

Tigranes

25. Dragonfight

aaKicnI.jpg

By popular demand, we fight Dragon. 

Nepenthe: Yet another strike against democratic decision-making.

We plaster ourselves with buffs like an insecure teenage Paris Hilton before a date. The main problem is that many buffs run out before we've finished buffing. We time it carefully to summon monsters, protect from horror & haste, give stoneskin and mirror images to the mages, and finish up with three Negative Plane Protection spread out across the melee fighters. The dragon's negative energy breath can drain 4+ levels per hit, meaning a couple of those and the characters risk permadeath.

zrW7OIH.jpg

We have a clear strategy. Since the breath attack has a cone-shaped AOE, we immediately bull-rush and surround the dragon, minimising the possible impact. It also means that by watching when the dragon pivots, we can know who he is targeting - e.g. if it's me, I can retreat out of line of sight (since it can probably one-hit kill.) The dragon casts Protection from Magical Weapons, but Pidesco immediately breaches it to open combat.

MqNqJpA.jpg

Meanwhile, I've memorised 3 Lower Resistance spells; they stack, and are critical to this battle. While Gorth and the melee fighters pack a punch, they likely won't survive long enough to take down the dragon on its own; we need at least some offensive spells to get through its resistance. 

gvWWBPt.jpg

The only problem is that Negative Plane Protection only lasts a few turns. TrueNeutral's runs out first, and he takes some level drain to the face. He evacuates to hide in a corner, useless and near death.

pHmUMBK.jpg

Unfortunately, that means the end of Nepenthe, this time by standard damage.

T693nWU.jpg

It's a race against time; each time we lose a party member, our ability to deal damage lessens. Thax'll'ssillyia is about halfway down. We need some more fodder to prolong our survival, but we've used up all of our spells. You know what that means....

Gorth: Wild Surge?

Yes, wild surge.

RtYLlk6.jpg

Maybe the dragon has berryphobia.

pH79CCk.jpg

We're running out of time. Gorth is caught and permakilled in the shadow breath; this is serious, since he is our msot reliable damage-dealer with his +2 bolts.

24yDZgB.jpg

At least his resistance is now low enough that magic missiles can hit most of the time. We can stop him casting any spell between myself and Pidesco...

23DJWK8.jpg

... I mean, between myself and myself. Yeah. (It says Tale, but it obviously can't be, or it would be game over as he is the protagonist. The breath attack caught both, and now Tale has lost some levels, while Pidesco is permakilled.) I finally succeed in summoning a skeleton warrior (seen center of screen behind dragon) with a wild surge, at least.

3hGGhQB.jpg

Azure falls not long after. It's just now me, and TrueNeutral, who was level-drained to Level 2 and has been hiding all this time. The dragon is heavily injured, but the skeleton warrior won't last long by itself, and I'm in dire need of meatbags.

CnYUc8c.jpg

TrueNeutral transforms into werewolf form and rushes headlong into the fray...

kvlXe3b.jpg

...then has to flee again after nearly getting killed. He drowns himself in potions while I nip in and out with magic missiles and flame arrows. The dragon is Near Death, and has been for the last couple of attacks. I suspect a couple more and he will fall.

oHzamcB.jpg

Oh, fine. Who thought making magic resistance work by ranges rather than absolute thresholds was a good idea anyway?

nrLdZGN.jpg

Then disaster. The dragon casually tosses a Chromatic Orb my way, and... wild mages being about as tough as a sack of marshmallows, I fail the save. Critically. 

I guess we all died there. That was the end of our adventure. Our dreams, our hopes...

sigmund-freud.jpg

G04I9sv.jpgI'm not so sure about that.

NfJih.jpg Gah!

G04I9sv.jpg I don't think you died there, Tale. I don't think that was the end.

NfJih.jpg But... I remember it! I'm remembering it right now!

G04I9sv.jpg No, Tale. It is not up to you to read your dream. I'm the psychoanalyst, remember?

NfJih.jpg Well, what does it all mean?

G04I9sv.jpg The dragon, Tale. It is your father. Your visions manifest your repressed desire to vanquish him. To take his power as yours. To stand proud upon his broken corpse. And the dark, cavernous room that is the site of your battle. It is no more than a representation of the mother, to be precise, your repressed memory of your own birth. Thus when you entered through the narrow corridor- 

NfJih.jpg Uh. You're freaking me out.

G04I9sv.jpg Fine. I'm just saying, you've still got a shot at this.

NfJih.jpg I thought this was an overwrought commentary on how games that try and rationalise gamey mechanics are terrible and annoying.

G04I9sv.jpg You believe what you need to believe, Tale. Me, I believe what I believe.

(Remember our semi-ironman rules: due to the hardcoded BG rules that protagonist death is game over, we are free to reload. I'm not sure if TrueNeutral would have been able to take it down on its own though. My suspicion is it had 15 or less HP, but he might not have been able to deal any damage. So, let's try again...)

p1wSpdw.jpg

...and we're back. For consistency's sake, we'll use roughly the same tactics. Again we surround, breach, smash. This time though, I will use my wild surges early, hopefully conjuring up some useful fodder...

Nr6nqfv.jpg

...or, you know, doom the entire party from the very first turn.

ebqHpoj.jpg

While I sit useless, Pidesco moves in aggressively. He gets his second debuff (Spell Thrust) off, but vanishes in a puff of cold breath. It was his third death; Pidesco dies his final death.

AyjWOhK.jpg

TrueNeutral rushes over and casts Dispel Magic, which thankfully works on the wild surge Polymorph. I lose all my buffs, but it will have to do. 

ZWFgHcf.jpg

I get to Lower Resistance straight away, but the dragon is more aggressive than the last time. Well-aimed breath attacks take out the fire elemental as well as Azure; Azure dies his second death.

j6A3KG0.jpg

Still, we get about half his health down. Now we try something we forgot to use last time. Remember that in Irenicus' Dungeon we picked out several wands, all of them with only one charge each. Not enough, but we also picked up an extra Lightning Wand with 8 charges...

njz6mqc.jpg

Excellent. With 3 Lower Resistance in him, the wand does decent and reliable damage; together with Gorth's bolts, we should only need 5 turns or so to bring him down now.

WJGNFZ1.jpg

I swear he can hear me talk. Gorth dies his final death. While he avoided permadeath, it was his third. This isn't good.

iIT5VJC.jpg

Our only hope now is in the wand; as we fire our 5th (out of 8) the dragon is Near Death. TrueNeutral still lives in werewolf form, but can't stand up to melee combat for long. Nepenthe is behind the dragon in this shot.

p2bET89.jpg

Ah, there you are, Nepenthe. Nepenthe dies his second death.

zGbSlry.jpg

Now it really is a race against time. If you look carefully you see TrueNeutral dies his final death. Again, it's not permadeath, but his third anyway. Only I live, but only 2 charges on the lightning wand remain - plus my other one-shot wands, but I don't know if they will do much. In fact, those wands were carried by Pidesco...

MKe55dt.jpg

We have a plan. I run quickly over to Pidesco's corpse, where the wands survived the cold breath blasting. We pick up the Wand of Monster Summoning with one charge.

wajkY3d.jpg

Three Ogres. They'll probably last about 3 turns, max. Hopefully that is enough...

Idp3E6a.jpg

...and it is. With my final charge on the lightning wand, Thax'll'ssillyia falls, even as you see the ogres slide away unconscious to the corner of the room. The dragon has fallen; but we have lost fully half of our party permanently. Now, beyond in the next area, the Shadow Lord awaits.

Well that went... about as well as I expected. I think I did the best I could with the resources at my disposal. The dragon's targeting is a lot more dynamic with SCS, and the moment Tale nips in to cast a spell it tries to kill him. There were a couple of reloads inbetween where Tale died pretty much in the first or second turn, which was annoying. Since we had found all our wands 'in nature' and did not recharge them through merchants, our victory remains pretty cheese-free. 

However, we'll see a major shuffle next update. Gorth, TrueNeutral and Pidesco are done; we shall see entering on their behalf Deraldin (Cleric), Chilloutman (Blade) and BBMorti (Fighter/Illusionist). The queue will now have Oner, Enoch, Bester, Serrano. Turns out the party composition doesn't change too much, but now battling the Shadow Lord might become just as deadly. Nepenthe and Azure, of course, are themselves on their last lives now.

Next update we'll do Shadow Lord, then try and go somewhere easy - probably Mae'Var - to get the new members up to speed.

Wheee... Talk about going out in a blaze of glory. If I had been a dwarf slayer, my ancestors would have been proud of me! :grin:

Well, better line up in the queue for when the next job opening comes up :)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Wheee... Talk about going out in a blaze of glory. If I had been a dwarf slayer, my ancestors would have been proud of me! :grin:

Well, better line up in the queue for when the next job opening comes up :)

With this speed you will be back in no-time (and we will have fresh new lowlevel members to die as meatbags). Hurray

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

Noooooo.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Arr! You be Fergettin my Piratey Goodness in that que! Don't be makin me come over there and make you walk the plank!

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Thank the lord for that reload - that first battle was just sad for poor old me - ten levels drained within seconds! I much prefer dying in battle in wolf mode even if it meant my death and it looked like I might have survived the first - that would have been a survival filled with shame! Congratz on your hard won dragon kill, Tig. Who's getting thrown into the meatgrinder next?

Throwing myself back unto the bottom of the list as a Half Orc Cleric / Thief. That one's possible in BG2 right?

Edited by TrueNeutral

You can put me in line as well.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Oooh, I didn't know there was a line for the privilege of dying under Tigranes' hilarious writing (and dubious leadership?)

What insanity check is required to sign up?

And if I can queue up can I play as a Jester?

... and it took me a week of nothing but eating, gaming and sleeping to complete :p

Oooh, I didn't know there was a line for the privilege of dying under Tigranes' hilarious writing (and dubious leadership?)

What insanity check is required to sign up?

And if I can queue up can I play as a Jester?

1) All of them

2) We've had a shapeshifter. You do the math ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I cant wait to see my heroic death. Tigraness give me email of your teacher I will send him message that he have to give you more time so you can spend it on BG :)

I'm the enemy, 'cause I like to think, I like to read. I'm into freedom of speech, and freedom of choice. I'm the kinda guy that likes to sit in a greasy spoon and wonder, "Gee, should I have the T-bone steak or the jumbo rack of barbecue ribs with the side-order of gravy fries?" I want high cholesterol! I wanna eat bacon, and butter, and buckets of cheese, okay?! I wanna smoke a Cuban cigar the size of Cincinnati in the non-smoking section! I wanna run naked through the street, with green Jell-O all over my body, reading Playboy magazine. Why? Because I suddenly may feel the need to, okay, pal? I've SEEN the future. Do you know what it is? It's a 47-year-old virgin sitting around in his beige pajamas, drinking a banana-broccoli shake, singing "I'm an Oscar Meyer Wiene"

26. Athkatla: The Buddy Movie

bPs8XVU.jpg

Our first dragon-kill. A great achievement, but at the cost of fully half our party. Is it really worth it, I wonder? To have my comrades fall again and again, leaving behind a trail of dead bodies, unfulfilled XP, just to further my own goals for power and vengeance?

Probably, yes.

rmJ80wu.jpg

We decide to recruit some replacement meatbags. Given that we are in an underground dragon's lair deep in a dark, undead-infested forest in the rural regions of the Shadow Coast, adventurers are everywhere.

Deraldin: I'm back! I'M BAAAACK!

Nepenthe: Deraldin! Where've you been, buddy?

Deraldin: Don't you remember?

Nepenthe: Well, I remember you joined the party with me all the way back in Nashkel, and that we were intended to fill the Two Guy Buddies Who Lust After Women But Never Get Any And Instead Have Not So Subtle Homoerotic Undertones gap in the party.

Deraldin: That's right, buddy. And we'd have done a great job, except some bloody spiders bit me off whole back in Durlag's Tower.

24.jpg

Teleport + Poison Attack is such an OP build.

Nepenthe: Well I'm glad you're back, buddy. No doubt you'll be slaying monsters and rescuing our party from trouble like the good ol' days.

30.jpg

Why, yes, the good old days when Deraldin laid low ten whole enemies in the blink of an eye. That is, sixty-two days and nineteen worthless hours. Welcome back, buddy.

Deraldin: Good to be here.

2XNvi2c.jpg

We also welcome Chilloutman the Bard, only our second member in the profession since Rosbjerg. Rosbjerg has the honour of being the first member to be killed in the adventure, laid low by the fearsome Chromatic Orb.

vLueryq.jpg

Finally there is BBMorti. (Since you don't have a portrait, we're going to have some unreasonably gargantuan mammaries. This will drive my ad revenue sky-high.) While they are all about as competent as I was back in Irenicus' Dungeon, they will have to play some catch-up to ensure they don't get picked off like flies.

87HfQsF.jpg

Obviously, their combat debut happens to be the Shade Lord, who you can barely see here to the upper right of the statue. We've buffed like mad for this, investing Negative Plane Protection on Nepenthe and Azure as they will go toe-to-toe with the Lord.

uRqHLLq.jpg

The Shade Lord begins by making himself immune to all spells below 5th level, i.e. all of our spells, and magical weapons, i.e. all of our weapons. Wonderful. There is also Shadow Patrick casting a spell, the former companion of Mazzy, and the Shadow Altar which periodically summons some pesky shadows.

4MJTgNk.jpg

Since we can't do much about the Shade Lord until the buffs wear off we quickly dispose of the altar, then pounce on Shadow Patrick. Unfortunately, Negative Plane Protection doesn't last that long, and Nepenthe gets chunked when the Lord rolls 20.

Deraldin: Buddy!

Nepenthe: I... it just wasn't meant to be, buddy. It just-

Deraldin: BUDDY!

GWyR2Hq.jpg

Deraldin, as a cleric, can finally use the Wand of Flamestrike we had found earlier; it burns Shadow Patrick to a crisp.

cZrPWeQ.jpg

And now comes the annoying part. The Shade Lord's buffs still haven't worn off, and we are helpless as he pulls out some nasty special abilities. Still, everyone surviving are in relatively good shape, and we should stand a chance-

12aE1h3.jpg

-or, you know, he could cast Chromatic Orb on me, and I could fail my save. Again. (Remember that as the protagonist, Tale's death means game over, but we will try again, given we were far, far from a party wipe.)

rhX0koq.jpg

Let's try that again. We start off same as before, though now we've remembered to summon our Air Elemental.

1R7SRcK.jpg

I trot off out of the Shade Lord's sight to avoid another embarrassment.

sRbMSxH.jpg

All enemies are dead save the Shade Lord, who casts Globe of Blades and Improved Invisibility. We quickly dispel, then try an AOE spell which will not be nullified by his protections: Web.

w8P1yXA.jpg

A wild surge, and a Nishruu is born. It doesn't do much, but continues to distract the Shade Lord as it flits in and out of webbed status.

UnUY4L3.jpg

And finally, I think at least 20 turns later, his protections wear off. It's a smash and grab. He still has many powerful spells, however, and we need to get him down quickly.

Azure: Even my long, sharp, rigid daggers cannot penetrate his hard shell!

Alright, well, since we're out of time...

1TPAgyR.jpg

Fireball.

Nepenthe: Dude! I could have died!

I know.

ytOTU53.jpg

As the Shade Lord falls, the forest magically returns to daylight. Guess we won't need to clean up, then.

V0sNn82.jpg

BB-Up.

QcXQhjc.jpg

We do some clean-up. We take the mimic's blood back to the weird old wizard, allowing him to complete his toy.

tKKYLPK.jpg

Award-winning writing, right there. Such a pity the scene could not come to life with rapid, migraine-inducing cinematic cutting and edgy camera angles.

0pktlx6.jpg

The golem falls at our hands in about four seconds, raising the question of whether it would have been a useful invention even if it didn't go berserk. The wizard decides this means he must now give his daughter away to the random suitor outside his door who didn't even come in and help. Yeah, I don't know how that works out, either.

RvXDwbM.jpg

Dude, it's a level. Up.

J0RGYcp.jpg

Most importantly, we report our heroic deeds and ask for reward. The portly minister looks warily at our crew, perhaps wondering why it looks so different from two days ago, but says nothing.

J6GXf03.jpg

A hundred gold. 

Really?

For killing a dragon and saving all of you from death you're paying me a hundred gold? When your inn charges sixteen gold pieces a night?

I could kill you all.

qKCOyqw.jpg

At least you kids are growing, so fast.

D3Dvejj.jpg

I didn't really talk about our loot haul from the Shade Lord and Dragon. Immediately useful is the Reflection Shield that is to arrows like lightsabres are to energy blasters. The dragon's haul, parts of the Crom Faeyr and dragon scales, will require some forging work to be useful. (That reminds me, I forgot to do that... next update.)

8ljfOn2.jpg

Returning to Athkatla, we're ready to take a less risky job while our kids get used to the hard life. No dragons, no forgotten dungeons. Local investigative work for the thieves guild should fit the bill. Can't imagine what would go wrong with that.

zuiPLxz.jpg

Remember, foreplay is critical to winning good adventurer contracts.

UcPrqcS.jpg

THe situation is simple enough. Mae'Var is clearly getting too big in the head for Renal Bloodscalp, so external intervention is needed. We are the externals.

Deraldin: Think Mae'Var's a lady? A hot, smokin lady in thief's leather?

Nepenthe: I could go for some smokin' ladies.
  • Like 1

mpxSnOZ.jpg

Deraldin: Aww, man. He's just an ugly dude in flaming pink.

Nepenthe: That is some smokin' leather.

LPauxxO.jpg

For some reason, Mae'Var believes that the best way to integrate new members of the guild and to prove their trustworthiness is to assign them petty thievery missions across the city. What do you want to know, that I can steal things? Fine. 

Here we are at the Temple of Lathander. 

BBMorti: Why would they put chairs inside the central circle? How would you get in there?

Question not Divine Architecture.

ve51Rms.jpg

BBMorti casts Knock, and Chilloutman grabs the Statuette for Mae'Var. It's a far cry from our good old chest-bashing days.

L6bNKRM.jpg

Having fulfilled our first infant-task, we are assigned to the resident mage, who is none other than dear old Edwin. (I feel so sad seeing him here. In every other playthrough, Edwin is a staple in my party; I do Mae'Var straight out of Irenicus' Dungeon for this purpose.) 

vjKSWjh.jpg

Our next mission is to kill Rayic Gethras, a Cowled Wizard who's ticked off Edwin for some reason or another. Since just about everything ticks Edwin off, I assume this Gethras had the temerity of being a wizard and being alive at the same time. 

Gethras' mansion is filled with a menagerie of mephits. Clearly, this is the latest in innovative home design for the Athkatlan bourgeoisie.

tbfqBZo.jpg

The next floor, golems. We're a long way from De'Arnise Keep now.

vJqVfXn.jpg

Instead of attacking us at the same time as the mephits and the golems, Gethras chooses to face us alone, like some supervillain. He will regret trading tactics for drama...

fRU72KA.jpg

...or not, given he's got enough buffs to fill a bucketful of steroids. Gethras is now temporarily invisible, immune to every spell we can cast, and indeed just about everything else we can do. 

9b0Qd65.jpg

Invisibility is easy to dispel, and we summon some monster fodder then spread ourselves out. Still, we're all sitting ducks...

qenWlVC.jpg

Oh, wild surge, you are yet again totally freakin' useless.

GMY7HMo.jpg

The situation is dire. Rayic Gethras has access to 8th level spells and lower. Bypassing our Minor Globe of Invulnerability, he stuns me, Azure and Chilloutman, and drains Nepenthe.

ncFCCnY.jpg

Worst of all, Deraldin is charmed. He's killed about eleven enemies in his entire adventuring career and now he's going to take us out. Off-screen, Nepenthe is also confused; our only hope is he kills Deraldin then starts on the wizard.

JKJ5V3b.jpg

But just a second after, Gethras comes in and takes Tale out. I genuinely can't say if we'd have survived. It would have been very dependent on luck; Deraldin and Nepenthe could easily have chopped the entire party apart. 

8kKUOoV.jpg

But this being semi-ironman, we won't accept full party wipe until it actually happens. We start by summoning some monsters, then take flight down the stairs. (Now, it's possible to wait and rest and totally cheese the area transitions. Some mods allow enemies to chase you down the stairs, and I thought SCS did, but apparently not. So in order to not abuse this, we will make sure to only retreat to the below floor as long as the monsters are alive, reasoning that the wizard will be reasonably distracted.)

dJYHv36.jpg

The monsters, of course, don't last very long, especially as Rayic Gethras can cast Death spells. We come back up after a few turns, spread out, then I cast a Wild Surge - Pierce Magic (a sixth level spell, not yet available to us normally). With a stroke of luck, it dispels most of Gethras' buffs. (I think you also see here a Dispel Magic hitting from BBMorti, on the bottom right.) We begin chopping immediately. 

WZbvB6V.jpg

All within a single turn, Deraldin now unleashes a flame strike...

ukGvri1.jpg

...and chilloutman lands the final blow with none other than a magic missile. 

8EO8N9S.jpg

Gethras dead, we proceed to loot his heavily trapped dinner table. 

Nepenthe: He trapped his own dinner table? What is he, Durlag's cousin?

T2GaZ5w.jpg

I think so, yes.

xGqPxoP.jpg

Gethras and a couple more menial tasks later, we have earnt Edwin's trust, and Mae'Var's, but we still lack the evidence to incriminate Mae'Var in the eyes of the guild. 

nzk8jiL.jpg

This is, of course, when we find that Edwin too has his own agenda, and is willing to betray Mae'Var to us so that we can betray Mae'Var to Renal so that Renal can punish Mae'Var for betraying him. 

Politics. Tsk tsk.

cTU6csY.jpg

We pick up an excellent pair of boots of stealth from Mae'Var's strongbox along with the evidence. This will be immensely useful to our thief. 

Chilloutman: We ain't got none.

I know. You people suck.

JzevtAE.jpg

Renal says we've done the rest of his job, we might as well go and kill Mae'Var too. You'd think he'd send us a little bit of backup, but nooooo. 

wrGKiZU.jpg

Yes, BBMorti. Drink upon the betrayal, the murder, the intrigue. Drink, and grow strong.

CvnQu1s.jpg

We return to Mae'Var's compound, storming it fully buffed. All they will see is a rush of blinding rainbow-coloured men, then death.

JAH7uVM.jpg

We cut through the low-level thieves in no time, and confront Mae'Var in his torture-room. 

Nepenthe: I hope we can loot that leather of his. 

Chilloutman: I ain't fightin' ya for it.

fnnOVB4.jpg

After the mess with Rayic Gethras, we play it safe and sensible. Immediately withdrawing a fair distance, we earn the time to explode a skull trap; the cries from thin air tell us of numerous cloaked assassins.

9RxUOvJ.jpg

Greater Malison takes hold on them, showing their current position; one up front, two near the cleric.

UkGUUm5.jpg

I cast Detect Invisibility, but for some reason, it doesn't reveal the thief. It should have been in the spell range, and I'm not sure what's happened. It costs us dear, however...

uyUKIVM.jpg

...as he backstabs BBMorti for 56 freaking damage. Guys, this is why we need a thief. 

BBMorti, three minutes after joining the party, receives his first death out of three.

mo3JJVm.jpg

Well, that can't let us down. Another detect invisibility reveals the assassins fully; summoning monsters to distract the cleric, we quickly chop them up before Mae'Var arrives via Dimension Door.

Opzwen8.jpg

Mae'Var manages to get off a confusion spell, but by this time, all of his allies are dead. This should be no problem...

JCbSwqY.jpg

Even our wild surges are working right.

JsrnIQP.jpg

Confused party members wander the room, but do little to stop our progress. 

oIwjjKN.jpg

Finally, Mae'Var falls, though confusion still hasn't worn off. Nepenthe and Deraldin, both confused, square up against each other.

Nepenthe: BUDDY, YOU WANT A SKEWER UP THE- *hic* YOU WANT A SKEWER?

Deraldin: YOU'RE A RIGHT OL' KEBAB, YOU ARE!

TT9xUat.jpg

A quick heal is all that stops Deraldin from revisiting Hades. 

Deraldin: OH, THAT WAS GOOD! YOU GOT ME RIGHT GOOD, YOU FU-

Alright, alright.

WbfIJzR.jpg

Eventually we settle down, and proceed to loot Mae'Var with impunity. The Shadow Armour will be a great boon to Manfred, our Imaginary Thief, as he adventures with us throughout the Sword Coast. *sob*

5TRboYf.jpg

We are offered the thieves' stronghold, but decline; our energies shall be directed to the Bardhouse we earnt after the Planar Prison, and the timeless mission of Art. 

m5IKVuA.jpg

Our reward for the endeavour is- yes, Manfred, it's for you! Isn't it a neat little sword? Oh yes it is! I bet it could lop off a hobgoblin's head just like that! Yes, Manfred! It's called the Short Sword of Back-sta-bbing! Go on, try it now-

tJ4uAZ1.jpg

We level up

vyf5b1X.jpg

like there's no tomorrow.

qZ3iDCJ.jpg

After all that, we've technically accrued the 20,000 gold necessary to pursue Irenicus. We won't be doing so yet, of course; we are still not yet experienced enough.

220px-Are_You_Experienced_-_US_cover-edi

No.

Of course, this does not stop a mysterious faction from mysteriously working out exactly how much money we have in our purse, then coming to us with a proposition to spend it. It's like targeted advertising to the max. 

XbIzlZF.jpg

Where there's one, there's the other. 

Well, there we are. With our reconstituted party we do need to do a few more sidequests, but provided we avoid more permadeaths, we can probably then move on to Chapter 3. I do have next week off from classes and meetings. I'll be working to set up some interviews for research, but hope to do at least one update then. Do vote on:

1. What deadly peril should we flirt with next?

• A: The Planar Sphere. Iron Golems, demons and an immortal possessed mage should result in some delightful violence.

• B: Trademeet. Animals, druids, animals, and druids. 

• C: The Unseeing Eye. Pick this if you really want to move up the party queue, I guess.

• D: Other.

2. When we are ready, how should we chase down Irenicus?

• A: Ally with Valen's 'mistress'. In the graveyard we shall meet powerful undead and bargain for our own ends. We are sick of messing around with thieves.

• B: Ally with the Shadow Thieves. Everything's been swell with them so far, and they're not so mad that we just killed half of them. What could go wrong?

1. What deadly peril should we flirt with next?

• A: The Planar Sphere. Iron Golems, demons and an immortal possessed mage should result in some delightful violence.
  • B: Trademeet. Animals, druids, animals, and druids. 
  • C: The Unseeing Eye. Pick this if you really want to move up the party queue, I guess.
  • D: Other.
2. When we are ready, how should we chase down Irenicus?
  • A: Ally with Valen's 'mistress'. In the graveyard we shall meet powerful undead and bargain for our own ends. We are sick of messing around with thieves.
  • B: Ally with the Shadow Thieves. Everything's been swell with them so far, and they're not so mad that we just killed half of them. What could go wrong?

Hehe...

Tale: "Nepenthe, grab the shadow guy and hold him while I cast fireball on him!"

Nepenthe: "What? Wait!!!..."

*Woosh*

:lol:

As for choices, I believe each of A, B and C provides some bone crunching, player chunking choices. The demon and golems in the planar sphere, the numerous regenerating trolls in the druid grove and the beholders everywhere level in the unseeing eye. The latter is easy with the shield of Balduran though.

I think I've only ever tried siding with Bodhi once, so that would be nice to see again. It's not like we have a lot of thieves in our party anyway :grin:

• Like 1