Black Isle's Torn

McClure

Hello everybody.

I'm an old fan of Black Isle's work, and think that the new Obsidian games are the best contemporary CRPGs out there (and yes, you do not fool me with your new name, guys. BI's touch is so obvious everywhere).

While googling for other BI/Obsidian games, I found an unfamiliar name: Torn.

I'm curious to know if there is any chance that at any point in the future Obsidian will try and complete this old project, or did the idea die with the name of Black Isle?

Yes, I think it is safe to presume that Torn, as it was supposed to be, is gone. But from what I read, New Vegas borrows A LOT of its ideas, concepts and names from Van Buren (RIP), so hope is still there :)

Do Obsidian employees sometimes comment in the forum and/or answer questions?

Do Obsidian employees sometimes comment in the forum and/or answer questions?

Many years back Obsidian staff was quite talkative, nowadays not so much. Even the Big Cheese dropped into the forums and talked to us lower pawns.

You're lucky today if you get a developer saying "W00t I like dat horse armor too!" comment. I.E. Non-informative, useless stuff.

Many years back Obsidian staff was quite talkative, nowadays not so much. Even the Big Cheese dropped into the forums and talked to us lower pawns.

You're lucky today if you get a developer saying "W00t I like dat horse armor too!" comment. I.E. Non-informative, useless stuff.

any guesses what changed? Edited by McClure

They realised the community was made up of rabid miscreants and misfits - a whole new kind of global social underclass, and further association would only result in the demise of Obsidian, much as with BIS.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

It's not quite as bad as Motgoth makes it out to be. A couple of developers can write fairly lengthy and informative posts, although not very frequently.

As for Torn, the game died long before BIS, so I doubt it will ever be revisited (but I'm sure they've already used some ideas in other games)

They realised the community was made up of rabid miscreants and misfits - a whole new kind of global social underclass, and further association would only result in the demise of Obsidian, much as with BIS.

...what a load o' horseshyte; whilst anyone 'round in them days knows I obviously admits ta possibly knowin' a few o' yer rabid micreants, said miscreants also replied ta an' answer faaaaaar more queries an' comments than any dev e'er thought o' on the ol' BIS boards, hence one o' the main reasons the devs made theyselves more available ta us miscreants an' the community expanded soo much in so li'l time...BIS died cuz Herve's a dumb@ss...BIObsidian be a ghost town most times cuz the community ain't gittin' that luvin' feelin' anymores...cuz it's gone...gone...gone...whoa oh whoa oh OH!... :lol:

...WHO LUVS YA, BABY!!...

A long, long time ago, but I can still remember,
How the Trolling used to make me smile.
And I knew if I had my chance, I could egg on a few Trolls to "dance",
And maybe we'd be happy for a while.
But then Krackhead left and so did Klown;
Volo and Turnip were banned, Mystake got run out o' town.
Bad news on the Front Page,
BIOweenia said goodbye in a heated rage.
I can't remember if I cried
When I heard that TORN was recently fried,
But sadness touched me deep inside,
The day...Black Isle died.

For tarna, Visc, an' the rest o' the ol' Islanders that fell along the way

Thread Pruned: Seems someone double posted ... must be rusty @ the Internet :p

...tryin' ta use "Back to..." ta fix up spellin'...me lazyness still knows no bounds... :shifty:

...what a load o' horseshyte; whilst anyone 'round in them days knows I obviously admits ta possibly knowin' a few o' yer rabid micreants, said miscreants also replied ta an' answer faaaaaar more queries an' comments than any dev e'er thought o' on the ol' BIS boards, hence one o' the main reasons the devs made theyselves more available ta us miscreants an' the community expanded soo much in so li'l time...BIS died cuz Herve's a dumb@ss...BIObsidian be a ghost town most times cuz the community ain't gittin' that luvin' feelin' anymores...cuz it's gone...gone...gone...whoa oh whoa oh OH!... :p

Hey man, I was around - I really was takin the piss with this.

We all know why Interplay imploded, heck, us old folks know damn well that Interplay survived a little longer because of BIS, heck IWD2 is a testament to making a game with next to no resources at all, I remember Josh actually coming to the community with the suggestion of going 3E, obviously trying to figure out if it'd be such a negative backlash it may infact not be worthwhile.

Hell, d'ya remember the merc class? Which basically became a feat because of that change.

That said after 10+ years of jabbering back at us, they've surely figured that we ain't worth jabbering at.

Obsidian ain't BIS, and if the folks ain't posting its good news, means they've got too much to do.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I actually find a couple of the guys (Nathaniel, Alvin and others) have been doing a decent job in keeping the "miscreants" company in the DSIII forum and J.E. Sawyer is still talking to people in the FO3:NV threads the last time I looked :p

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

if only these forums had a dev-tracker tool to be able to follow dev posts... *sigh*

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

...misses the Isle, I does...ya can ne'er truly go 'ome... :thumbsup:

I actually find a couple of the guys (Nathaniel, Alvin and others) have been doing a decent job in keeping the "miscreants" company in the DSIII forum and J.E. Sawyer is still talking to people in the FO3:NV threads the last time I looked :thumbsup:
His inbox is always full (J.E. Sawyer's)... No new messages make it through.