The NHL Thread

Kor Qel Droma

NYR vs OTT: Rangers in 7 but an upset is possible. I kinda hope it happens to so I can laugh at Torturechips choking.

BOS vs WSH: BOS in 6.. I want Caps to win so Ovie can shut people up but no way do the defending champs lose in the 1st round.

FL vs NJ: NJ in 5. Panthers are a joke. Plain and simple.

PIT vs PHI: PIT in 7. If PHI had Pronger it a different story.

VAN vs LA: VAN in 5. LA is a joke. Defintion of a one man team. Only way Kings win is if Quick pulls out 4 1-0 or 201 games. Canucks' offense is too good. Total mismatch.

STL vs SJ: SJ in 6. STL is a one dimensional team. pure defence. I'd laugh if SJ loses to this overrated team.

PHX vs CHI: CHI in 6. Hawks are simply better.

NSH vs DET: DET in 6. I know the Wings ar enot at their strongest but Preds need to prove themselevs before giving them the benefit of the doubt.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

The Panthers being rewarded with the third seed for winning their division is a perfect example of how the NHL needs to reassess the reward for winning your division. Currently, the Panthers are arguably the worst team in the playoffs. In effect, despite finishing SIXTH in the conference, the New Jersey Devils arguably have the easiest first round opponent. Something is wrong with that.

My personal feeling is that if the NHL wants to "reward" division winners, reward them with automatic playoff berths. But not necessarily one of the top three seeds. For instance, since Florida won their division they are guaranteed a spot in the playoffs. However, where my thinking differs from the current system, is that they'd then be ranked in terms of their points. So instead of being the 3rd seed, Florida would actually be the 6th seed.

IMO, it's the best of both worlds. The division winner is still rewarded with a playoff spot, but it makes sure that weak divisions don't benefit by getting a higher seed than their point total suggests they should have.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

I disagree. Despite my earlier rant about the Pantehrs I believe you shoudl eb rewarded with a high seed if you win your division. Period. if Florida is a crappy as we and their record indicates theya re, the Devils will make quick work of them just like the 6th seeded Rangers made quick work of Atlanta a few years back.

I know Phoenix has a pretty low point total in the West, but to me that speaks more to a competitive division than a weak one. You play your divisional rivals a lot, and in the Pacific that means a lot of games against tough teams. That is backed up by the entire divison being in the playoff picture until very late.

I'm not sure about Florida, I don't get to see many games in the Eastern conference.

What will REALLY be interesting is when the Islanders can put together a decent season (which could be as soon as next year). There's a high possibility all 5 teams from the Atlantic Division will be in the playoffs

Edited by Krookie

This might be funny for you hockey folk.

leafsopenletter_040912.jpg

Edited by Malcador

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Rangers v Senators: Rangers in 5. I can't see Ottawa making it out of the first round. Brad Richards will start shining again after a ho hum regular season.

Bruins v Capitals: Bruins in 6. Washington has been all over the place all season long. Now, with both of their regular goalies injured, it'll take a miracle to defeat the defending champs. I hope I'm wrong, though.

Panthers v Devils: Devils in 5. New Jersey looks like the better team on paper, and for good reason. Florida sees the clock striking midnight on their Cinderella type campaign.

Penguins v Flyers: Pens in 7. No Pronger and Briere, while the Pens are icing a healthy squad. This is going to be a knock down, drag out battle.

Canucks v. Kings: Canucks in 5. LA has played horribly all season long in front of a great goaltender. I have LA winning one game, then Vancouver pulls Luongo and the backup goalie takes them farther in the playoffs.

Blues v Sharks: Blues in 7. I don't know why, but I think coaching is going to make a big difference this series. Although Ken Hitchcoc-k looks like a perv, he's good at what he does.

Coyotes v Chicago: Chicago in 7. Phoenix is going to show up for this one and drag it out with their high octane, exciting...oh wait, they'll play the trap and bore us all to death.

Nashville v Detroit: Nashville in 6. I'm sick of Detroit winning all the time. Hopefully the Preds can avenge most of their playoff exits over the last few seasons.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Jaguars4ever is still alive.  No word of a lie.

East:

I think the Pens/Flyers series comes down to Fleury. If Fleury doesn't give up his typical weak goals that have plagued him the past couple of playoffs, and simply plays as good as Bryzgalov (doesn't even have to play better -- just be on par), Pens win. Only way I see the Flyers winning is if Fleury craps the bed.

I think the Rangers defense is too good for the Sens. It'll be a rough series, I think, as both teams have quite a few tough guys. But in the end, I think the Rangers and Lundqvist will be too much for the Sens.

I think the Devils lucked out by getting, IMO, the weakest of all the playoff teams in round 1. The only advantage Florida has is their home ice advantage, where they've actually been good this year. But I just don't think they have the guns to compete with Parise, Elias, Kovalchuk, and company.

Boston will wipe the floor with the Caps. The Caps have one line of offense, and that's only if Backstrom is back to 100% and Ovechkin decides to try. Otherwise, they're a fringe team that's only in because they play in a pathetic division (see: Florida). Boston's too deep, too good defensively, and too physical for Washington to match up with.

West:

Los Angeles can surprise, but only if their offense produces much better than it has the majority of this year. On paper, they should have quite a lot of firepower. But they've really struggled as a team offensively this year. Vancouver could be in trouble if D. Sedin can't go, or is still affected by his concussion. Kesler's also not having as good a year as he did last year. Luongo versus Quick could also be a huge factor.

As good as Nashville's been this year, I think Detroit wins. I think they're a deeper team than the Preds, more natural skill that could be the difference in close, tight games where one needs to capitalize on very few chances. The edge Nashville has is in nets. Rinne can steal the series if he shines while Howard chokes.

San Jose's got more top end skill than St. Louis, but St. Louis is incredibly deep. And defensively, they play such a smart, disciplined, smothering game. This one's tough to pick. I'll go with St. Louis mainly due to home ice, where they've been ridiculously good this year.

Chicago has more talent than Phoenix, but Phoenix's overall team defense has been better than the Hawks. I think the Hawks come out on top due to their star players like Toews, Kane, Hossa, and Sharp. Only way I see Phoenix win is if Crawford or Emergy crap the bed.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

"Ovechkin decides to try."

Ovechkin always tries. Not his fault he's on a crappy team with lackadiasical goaltending, iffy d, and no depth.

Fleury is one of the best goalies in the league. 'Soft goals'. L0L

Rangers D is overrated. The fella bteween the pipes makes them look better than theya ctually are.

Rangers vs. Senators - Rangers in 6. Sens will steal a few games, but Lundqvist will deny them the series while Gaborik will prove his playoff worth.

Bruins vs. Capitals - Bruins in 4. Does the Caps even have a goalie? Ovechkin, Semin, B

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

This might be funny for you hockey folk.

leafsopenletter_040912.jpg

Well, this is a ****ing slap in the face.

I can almost hear the board room laughter when they discussed this. Then they smoked some money and went golfing instead.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

And Edmonton pulls the horseshoe from its ass and ends up with the 1st pick in this years draft. Again. It's nice to see the league rewarding us for how badly we've sucked since 06-07.

I know diddly squat about this Yakupov guy, though.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

. "Every year the same Sharks"

That's weird. the last two years SJ made the CF yet you have them losing in first round. How is that the 'same old'? LOL

P.S. I don't think teams should be rewarded for sucking. The draft order should be completely randomized.

Wow. What an awesome night to start off the playoffs. Philly comes back from down 3 goals to win it in OT...LA upsets Vancouver and Nashville takes down the Red Wings. Watch all three games, Philly/Pittsburgh didn't disappoint but I thought the LA game was best.

here's hoping Shea Weber gets a 2 games suspension for his classless act at the end of the game...really lost a lot of respect for him as a player tonight.

here it is if you haven't seen it. watch him throw a hook to the side of Zetterberg's head and then take his face and slam it into the boards. This was all with like 3 seconds left in a game that Weber was about to win. What the hell man. Might have just cost his team the series if he goes out for 2 games...

That's gotta hurt.

I went to bed early last night. My wife was like "You're not going to watch hockey?". It's hard getting excited for the playoffs when none of your teams are in it. Although that Pens/Flyers game was pretty entertaining, despite some shoddy reffing.

I can see Weber getting a few games, especially because it was against a Detroit player.

As for the Canucks...Dustin Penner scored? They'd better dress Schneider already.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

$2500 fine for Suter.

Weber, right? I think it's pretty ridiculous that the League fines Torterella $20,000 for his 'comments' and then a mere $2,500 for Weber's potentially season ending attack on Zetterberg. That hook he threw first reminded me of Bertuzzi's first swing on Moore. It looks like Zetterberg kind of ducked it but had he not had his head on a swivel that could have been terrible.

I hate how the league takes into consideration that Zetterberg wasn't injured on the play...It's as if to say they're just going to wait and allow this stuff to happen until someone get's seriously hurt. I don't understand the logic.

Yes, I think it deserved at least a 1 game suspension. That was excessive, it is one thing to throw an elbow around in the corner, it's another thing to target the opponents head and then grab them from behind and slam them into the boards for good measure. I'm really surprised by the ruling.

Weber, yes, not Suter.

While not defending his actions, does it not appear Zetterburg had a bit of a high elbow on Suter when he ran into the boards with him? Not that it warrants a turnbuckle into the glass, but I can see Suter getting heated over that.

Also, lol at the Kings tweet last night after beating Vancouver.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif

Also, lol at the Kings tweet last night after beating Vancouver.

saw that hahahaha hilarious. oh and another great night of hockey.

A lot of reaction to the tweet has been pretty negative, most of the comments have been 'LA has no class'. But to be honest, the Canucks and the way they play the game is just downright embarrassing. I used to think they were a really talented team, and still do somewhat, but the repeated diving attempts of more than a few players (Kessler and Burroughs are the worst, IMO) are painful to watch.

bnwdancer9ma7pk.gif