Interview with Chris Avellone

Starwars

Good stuff. I'm pretty sure there was some not-so-hidden/subtle critique towards all those who rush through the content in OWB dialogue at the very beginning of the DLC. I guess that comes from watching all the youtube videos...

Hate the living, love the dead.

Good stuff. I'm pretty sure there was some not-so-hidden/subtle critique towards all those who rush through the content in OWB dialogue at the very beginning of the DLC.

I think it has more to do with the dialogs in Dead Money, it's not the first time he mentions 'dying a little bit inside' from watching people cut through the dialog in order to get the XP.

Good stuff. I'm pretty sure there was some not-so-hidden/subtle critique towards all those who rush through the content in OWB dialogue at the very beginning of the DLC.

I think it has more to do with the dialogs in Dead Money, it's not the first time he mentions 'dying a little bit inside' from watching people cut through the dialog in order to get the XP.

Content = Dialogue :)

Hate the living, love the dead.

I wish it wouldn't be in podcast form, so I could read it. Meh, podcast stuff is annoying, especially because I sometimes can't really understand the said stuff.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

One of the sites I stumbled upon introduced Planescape: Torment as an adventure game. Indeed, the most rewarding part of the game is the feel the players to figure out the story piece by piece by talking to various NPCs. Personally, I'm not a great fan of point and click adventure games, where I am forced to solve childish puzzles but I felt the conversation-focused game-play of PS: T more at home.

Likewise, games should reward the players with their favorite game-plays. A typical example is that game masters would increase combats when they see that's their players are into while they would go for more of investigation aspect when they find the players like conversations. Since computer games don't have the AI to judge which game-play is favored by the player, the designers need to prepare a buffet of game-plays for them and let the players choose. I haven't played any of New Vegas DLCs yet but I've gotten an impression that Avellone put the players into game-plays they didn't expect from Fallout 3 format.

I think I understand his argument about too much hand-holding makes games less rewarding but, with all the experience as a game mater and a game designer, shouldn't he know better than putting the players into a certain game-plays without making sure that they actually like them? Once the designers make the players into their game-plays, the players would be prepared to, and even be willing to do tougher "challenges" but it would be too risky before that.

Wonder if he put his grumpy side aside and made the dialogues lighter and prepared some welcome comfort to the players in OWB but it sounds like the story now.

Wonder if he put his grumpy side aside and made the dialogues lighter and prepared some welcome comfort to the players in OWB but it sounds like the story now.

He isn't grumpy in his writing. At all. Chris Avellone usually has a humorous way to express his "hate". That has always been the case even before OWB. The original Planescape Document doesn't read really serious at all.

Father Eljahs commentaries are no exception. The " That thing on your wrist" line for example made me chuckle too if you know the context.

Edited by C2B

Likewise, games should reward the players with their favorite game-plays. A typical example is that game masters would increase combats when they see that's their players are into while they would go for more of investigation aspect when they find the players like conversations. Since computer games don't have the AI to judge which game-play is favored by the player, the designers need to prepare a buffet of game-plays for them and let the players choose. I haven't played any of New Vegas DLCs yet but I've gotten an impression that Avellone put the players into game-plays they didn't expect from Fallout 3 format.

I think I understand his argument about too much hand-holding makes games less rewarding but, with all the experience as a game mater and a game designer, shouldn't he know better than putting the players into a certain game-plays without making sure that they actually like them? Once the designers make the players into their game-plays, the players would be prepared to, and even be willing to do tougher "challenges" but it would be too risky before that.

I think a lot of it comes down to pacing and balance. And recognizing that if you want to nudge folks out of their comfort zone, seduction generally works better than bludgeoning. A little more empathy and less condescension towards the player base might also help if he wishes to design games for a broad audience.

This is a breath of fresh air, playing through recent games i've felt like a stupid dog being patted on the head and fed treats when i've done what the devs wanted and there's been no sense of accomplishment or immersion. The dude bloody gets it, give me a challenge and let me fail if i'm stupid because the payoff when I win will be all the sweeter.

Quite an experience to live in misery isn't it? That's what it is to be married with children.

I've seen things you people can't even imagine. Pearly Kings glittering on the Elephant and Castle, Morris Men dancing 'til the last light of midsummer. I watched Druid fires burning in the ruins of Stonehenge, and Yorkshiremen gurning for prizes. All these things will be lost in time, like alopecia on a skinhead. Time for tiffin.

Tea for the teapot!

I praised Troika for their originality but I may have helped them to be kicked out of business as well. It was a typical way for a small company to be out of business, though. Also, with a bit of cunning and diplomacy, I think they could lower the entrance without sacrificing their originality too much. I believe OWB has proven it, to some extent.