Do you use Facebook?

Humodour

I can. Be cool, join the crowd!

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

They still don't work with google apps accounts, right? :ermm:

Are you sure about that? It is part of your main Google account, so if you've got a Gmail account for example you can access Plus.

Google business and brand pages are being rolled out at the end of the month, and full integration with things like search will happen probably this year. It is already integrated with at least Google Translate, Google hosted news articles (e.g. Associated Press), and Gmail. You can imagine YouTube integration isn't far off.

They still don't work with google apps accounts, right? :grin:

Are you sure about that? It is part of your main Google account, so if you've got a Gmail account for example you can access Plus.

Google business and brand pages are being rolled out at the end of the month, and full integration with things like search will happen probably this year. It is already integrated with at least Google Translate, Google hosted news articles (e.g. Associated Press), and Gmail. You can imagine YouTube integration isn't far off.

Frankly, can't remember the exact type of account it is, but it's an "organization account", so could be in the business pages. When my dad retired and had to drop his previous work e-mail, we got a domain for us and the e-mail etc. stuff via google apps. Works pretty well for <10 people.

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Guest The Architect

I got booted out of Facebook. Will make a new account with an alias that doesn't impersonate a celebrity. I tried to get my study group to jump ship and go to Google +, but it didn't fly. They can't be bothered switching over. Fair enough. **** it I'll just wait for Google -.

• 4 weeks later...

Stick a fork in it, it's done.

Forbes: A Eulogy for Google Plus

It may not be dead, and it?s entirely possible I?m shoveling dirt on something that?s still writhing around, promising me it is in fact the next big thing, but I?m now deaf to its cries. Google Plus is a failure no matter what the numbers may say.

25 million users in barely a month is nothing to sneeze at. Google Plus holds the honor of being one of the fastest growing websites in history, and these early numbers had analysts screaming that Facebook would be all but dead in a few more months.

But today I click on my newsfeed and see tumbleweed blowing through the barren, blank page. It?s a vast and empty wasteland, full of people who signed up but never actually stuck around to figure out how things worked in this new part of town. One simple click takes me back to Facebook, and my wall is flooded with updates and pictures from 400+ friends. This just isn?t a contest, and it never will be.

Facebook had exclusivity on its side, a once-upon-a-time fact we?re only reminded of when we watch The Social Network, but even when it expanded past college to the general population, it was a hundred times more user friendly and visually streamlined than MySpace. That site was destroyed by the tackiness of its own users with a propensity for glitter text GIFs and autoplaying pop songs, and when it failed to evolve, the exodus to Facebook was massive and unstoppable.

Conversely, we look at a recent failure, this time where Google came out on top. When?s the last time you got THAT frustrated with the Google search engine? Sure, you might not find what you wanted on occasion, but 99.99% of the time, it fulfills its function exceedingly well. So why on earth would anyone feel the need to switch to Bing? It may work yes, but to the average user, it doesn?t offer anything above and beyond what you?d find with Google, and in some avenues, is actually worse. But how many millions were invested in the idea? Did they really think they had come up with something to unseat the emperor of search?

Now Google has fallen into the same trap with Plus. If anyone is annoyed by Facebook, it?s simply that they?re tired of using it. Their gripes aren?t from the layout, or even the privacy settings, as much as internet outrage over the suspect Terms of Service would have you believe. Google can launch a product that fixes Facebook?s issues, and even looks a touch nicer to boot, but its biggest flaw is simply something it can?t overcome. It?s not Facebook.

My profile tells me everything I need to know about Google Plus, and I suspect the same is true for many others. As active as I am in social media and the latest and greatest internet trends, I have 26 people who have added me into circles, only 8 of them being people I wanted to add back, as for all Plus?s claims of privacy and intimacy, I don?t know most of the others. Out of those, only two post anything at all to the site, and the majority don?t even have profile pictures yet, an indicator they haven?t returned since day one. My recommended friends list is filled with people I?m actually close with, presumably pulled from my Gmail contacts, but the fact that we haven?t added each other yet describes just how little we care about this new network.

Google just should have known better. No one is going to scrap a social network they?ve spent 8 years building up to start over from scratch for one that offers only a few minor improvements. To compete there needs to be something put forward that?s truly revolutionary, and tech companies half-heartedly copying each other is not going to cut it and can?t masquerade as true innovation.

I'll believe it when Netcraft confirms it.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Facebook will become uncool sooner or later. Something geezers do, like myspace. Just a matter of time.

Got to agree.

Christ. Just think. We'll be the facebook generation rather than the Woodstock generation.

I hate you facebook bastards, I really do.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

You can still be the stuck up "get off my lawn" generation, they are eternal.

Flashman385_262303a.jpg

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There is one simple reason Google Plus has already won: Google has integrated (or is in the process of integrating) it into every other product they deliver. So if it takes 10 years for Google Plus to take off, that doesn't matter - Google can afford to wait. It will soon be the case that EVERY time you search you'll also see how many new notifications you have on Google Plus in the top right corner of the screen. That's a pretty difficult thing to forget about or not notice.

Also keep in mind that Google Plus is still in beta and business pages come out at the start of next month. A lot of things are still changing on it.

Yeah, but even though gmail is huge now, Yahoo mail still has the edge in terms of numbers. I see Facebook being a similar case.

Of course I did switch from yahoo to gmail in the last year, so I guess I'm an example of the eventuality of google winning.

Facebook will become uncool sooner or later. Something geezers do, like myspace. Just a matter of time.

I remember when spending all day online was considered uncool, something losers and nerds do.

"Of course the people don't want war. But after all, it's the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it's always a simple matter to drag the people along whether it's a democracy, a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to greater danger."

- Herman Goering at the Nuremberg trials

"I have also been slowly coming to the realisation that knowledge and happiness are not necessarily coincident, and quite often mutually exclusive" - meta

I remember when spending all day online was considered uncool, something losers and nerds do.

Then smarrtphones came out.

I was seriously considering getting a msartphone last night. But then I realised that this would deprive my friends of the pleasing superiority when I ask them to look something up on THEIR smartphones. So I won't.

-Elwood Blues

I was seriously considering getting a msartphone last night. But then I realised that this would deprive my friends of the pleasing superiority when I ask them to look something up on THEIR smartphones. So I won't.

I give you a year at most before you buckle to the weight of societal pressure.