Mastering abilities.... benefits?

Near the end of my first game I noticed, that some of my Katrina's abilities are "mastered".

However, I can't find information about the benefits I should get from a mastered ability such as "heartseeker" etc.

Someone here knows more?

My understanding is this unlocks the empowered version.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

the game tells you what it does as soon as you master your first ability. it gives you access to a more powerful version. you trigger it by holding the "super" (RT on the pad) button and pressing the ability's key. it uses Power instead of Focus.

for example Heartseeker launches 5 homing projectiles instead of 1

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

the game tells you what it does as soon as you master your first ability. it gives you access to a more powerful version. you trigger it by holding the "super" (RT on the pad) button and pressing the ability's key. it uses Power instead of Focus.

for example Heartseeker launches 5 homing projectiles instead of 1

Yep, so it's important to get empowered versions of your abilities early on. Especially the healing ones, that way you can heal your companion as well.

Oh, then I understood something in a totally wrong way.

I thought "empowered version" means the stronger attack I have by pressing "Left SHIFT" (PC).

Thanks for resolving my error. :thumbsup:

Edited by AnjyBelle

As a side note, yes, it is hell worth it. Empowered Abilities are basically "iwin" buttons. It seems to take takes about 200 casts for most of them, not sure what is the ratio is for timed abilities. Or maybe its per focus point spent.

Either way, its takes a while to power them up. So don't be afraid to spam them at every opportunity. The only issue is that some empowered abilities are so good you might find it hard to resist from casting them every fight, which might make it difficult to empower other abilities.

Edited by toastification

It seems to take takes about 200 casts for most of them, not sure what is the ratio is for timed abilities. Or maybe its per focus point spent.

Any info about the mechanics would be very useful.

In my game (Katrina) I certainly casted her "heal" LOTS more than I casted "heartseeker". But the latter was maxed after about 70% of the game, while "heal" was far away from mastery in the endgame.

Any pointers how to "force" the companions to use certain abilities, so that they can reach mastery at least in one or two? I had Anjaly and was content with her actions, but in all her abilities she remained average.

I'm not sure what you mean by "force." It's pretty much like similar in DS1/DS2, just use the ability you want to "master" as often as the focus or those little purple orbs will allow you to.

eg If you want to Master the Spinning Kick, stay in Anjali's human form & use it all the time as her main special attack choice until the Mastery bar fills up.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Force the companions. :p

*slapface*

Yeah, I'm batting 1000 in reading comprehension today. :lol:

In that case...in my very limited experience so far, there's not too much to be done there. I have noticed, however, that it seems like if you give your companion better equipment for one stance, plus maybe focus on putting points in the...uh..bonus effects?...of those abilities, they'll tend to use that stance a lot more often, so at least they'll use the abilities of that stance more.

Not 100% sure of that, but so far with Lucas, with awesome gear for his 1hand stance and utter crap gear for his 2hand, he hardly uses his 2hand at all.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts