Bin Laden is dead

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

I suppose we could always have asked him to surrender himself to the Dutch or Swedes. He could have written his memoirs whilst having aromatherapy, then get released after three or four years.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Did they take the DNA test before or after they urinated on him? Because that could have skewed the results...

[nerd]waste products like urine and faeces aren't great for DNA, unless you are lucky and get some low-copy via other body fluids in the mix.[/nerd]

sonsofgygax.JPG

meanwhile in afghanistan:

Heavy fighting takes place in Herat

4 American tanks eliminated in Gerishk

6 US soldiers killed as tank eliminated amid Mujahideen attack the US base located in Watapur district of Kunar province

US military base comes under Mujahideen attack in Paktia

Mujahideen attack joint NATO military convoy

Zhiri explosion hits US foot patrol, 3 killed and wounded

NATO fuel tanker torched in Panjwaee

Blast in Kunduz kills four NATO soldiers

America - win yeah!

meanwhile in afghanistan:
Heavy fighting takes place in Herat

4 American tanks eliminated in Gerishk

6 US soldiers killed as tank eliminated amid Mujahideen attack the US base located in Watapur district of Kunar province

US military base comes under Mujahideen attack in Paktia

Mujahideen attack joint NATO military convoy

Zhiri explosion hits US foot patrol, 3 killed and wounded

NATO fuel tanker torched in Panjwaee

Blast in Kunduz kills four NATO soldiers

America - win yeah!

There's no need to be snippy just because we're doing so much better than the Russians did.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

There's no need to be snippy just because we're doing so much better than the Russians did.

:lol:

No kidding.

U.S., U.K. and all Allied casualties up to this point in Afghanistan: 2,300 to 2,400 from 2001-2011.

Afghan Soviet war from 1979 to 1989: 14,000 to 15,000 dead Soviets.

Afghan Civilian casualties from Allied forces 2001-2011: 14,000 to 34,000.

Afghan Civilian casualties from Soviet forces 1979-1989: 2,000,000. Thats two MILLION.

Yet you criticize the U.S. and it's Allies? :lol:

And no, I'm not happy about/bragging about those stats. I'd prefer the Allied death toll to be 0. Merely pointing out the hypocrisy.

I have serious doubts the Afghanis can take out an Abrams, much less five in one day. Thats more than we lost in the entire invasion.

http://video.mail.ru/mail/dima850/473/747.html

It's Simple, Darling

That didnt even penetrate the armor. I dont think there is a shoulder launched AT weapon that can defeat Chobham armor. Hell, tank rounds dont defeat Chobham armor.

I have to admit, when I clicked that I was expecting a Rickroll.

I have serious doubts the Afghanis can take out an Abrams, much less five in one day. Thats more than we lost in the entire invasion.

http://video.mail.ru/mail/dima850/473/747.html

It's Simple, Darling

You really are just itching to see dead yankees, aren't you? Word to the wise: hitting a tank and killing a tank are two very different things.

Darling.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

That didnt even penetrate the armor. I dont think there is a shoulder launched AT weapon that can defeat Chobham armor. Hell, tank rounds dont defeat Chobham armor.

I have to admit, when I clicked that I was expecting a Rickroll.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV1KveTKWQs

"During an early attack on Baghdad, one M1A1 was disabled by a recoilless rifle round that had penetrated the rear engine housing, and punctured a hole in the right rear fuel cell, causing fuel to leak onto the hot turbine engine. After repeated attempts to extinguish the fire, the decision was made to destroy or remove any sensitive equipment. Oil and .50 caliber rounds were scattered in the interior, the ammunition doors were opened and several thermite grenades ignited inside. Another M1 then fired a HEAT round in order to ensure the destruction of the disabled tank. The tank was completely disabled but still intact. Later, an AGM-65 Maverick and two AGM-114 Hellfire missiles were fired into the tank to finish its destruction. Remarkably, the tank still appeared to be intact from the exterior."

This is likely what you are seeing. I'm still not impressed.

"In 2007, British officials confirmed that an RPG-29 round penetrated the frontal ERA of a top-of-the-line Challenger 2 tank during an engagement in al-Amarah, Iraq"

"Claims were made by the Israeli newspaper Haaretz that significant numbers of the RPG-29 were passed on from Syria to Hezbollah and were reportedly a major source of Israeli casualties in the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/155...tank-quiet.html

12658937528639.jpg

a1.jpg

The design of a modern tank is such that while a round may panetrate it, that round does not necessarily harm the crew or permanently disable the tank. Not an option if you're in a russian sardine tin tank, but ours have the systems spread out, and the crew much better protected.

I've never denied that tanks haven't been taken out. Of course it's possible with an RPG or an Iranian made EFP bomb, or just a whacking great blast bomb. It's one reason I didn't volunteer for armour. But to claim that 4 were destroyed in one day is ewok-grade wishful thinking. And yes, that does mean I'm accusing you of being a tiny cannibal space bear.

-Elwood Blues

The design of a modern tank is such that while a round may panetrate it, that round does not necessarily harm the crew or permanently disable the tank. Not an option if you're in a russian sardine tin tank, but ours have the systems spread out, and the crew much better protected.

The Russians have been working for years to provide cheap and effective, simple to use arms to the "People" of the world while maintaining the ability to counter these weapons themselves. Unable to spend like the west for the better part of it's existence the USSR was content to arm the folks who had the nerve to stand against the American Corpratist Empire. Iran is armed to the teeth with guided missiles that cost 1/10th the price of an F-16 and can still penetrate the defenses of a Carrier group. Apparently russian anti-armor weapons have advanced as well.

Russian arms appear to have played a crucial role in the strong resistance Hezbollah put up to the Israeli military in Lebanon.

Israel lost dozens of tanks, several helicopters and 116 men during its month-long push into southern Lebanon, the heaviest losses it suffered in any of the previous wars against Arabs. This gave Hizbollah leader Hassan Nasrallah reason to claim that his men had achieved "a strategic, historic victory" over "a confused, cowardly and defeated" enemy.

Israeli officials blamed the losses on Russian anti-tank grenades and missiles that had been allegedly supplied to Hizbollah by Syria and Iran.

http://www.today.az/news/politics/29225.html

Soviets were actively (and successfully) using and protecting their tanks in USSR-Afghanistan war.

Afghani Mujahideen were also armed with guided ATGMs, and regularly set convoy ambushes on the mount passes.

While basic configuration T-72s were vulnerable to such attacks, further M1/M2 modifications with extended ERA and worlds first active Drozd system proved incredibly successful in countering guided ATGM fire.

In fact, even after taking multiple hits, modified T-72s were able to return fire and suppress enemy positions.

While Drozd was able to provide protection only to forward hemisphere, its further development the