NES fans?

Rosbjerg

if you can beat contra: Hard Corps. It might be too easy for you.

I saw all the endings. and I played the original version (the japanese one, and I couldn't read japanese then), so from time to time I'd pick the wrong option and end-up with an ending I didn't want. played through it 20 or so times... ah, those were the days.

but thanks to you mentioning that other game I found another Konami gem: Rocket Knight Adventures. I'd missed it then and never heard of it until today, that looks like a great game.

also, Doom Troopers was a kick-ass platformer, and Earthworm Jim

Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

My fingers hurt just thinking about all the hours spent playing Turtles 2 with my brother. I remember my mom saying she went to check up on me at night, and I was sitting up in bed making the playing motions while sleeping.

I finally beat Low G Man not too long ago. That may be one of the hardest games ever made, or maybe I was just terrible when I was a kid.

so, I came across a YouTube channel, where this guy does reviews of old console games, now, regardless of the fact he's a shameless AVGN rip-off, the games he picks are actually very good. Metal Storm, Earthbound, Sweet Home, Journey to Silius - all of these are fantastic, I can't believe some of these games were made for the NES... :lol:

Edited by sorophx
Walsingham said:

I was struggling to understand ths until I noticed you are from Finland. And having been educated solely by mkreku in this respect I am convinced that Finland essentially IS the wh40k universe.

dude, you need to get gunstar heroes NOW. Then again, if you can beat contra: Hard Corps. It might be too easy for you.

Contra Hardcore wasn't the hardest of those types of games. Never got to play Gunstar Heroes however, should I try to find a way to play it these days?

Some other good games

Phantasy Star IV

Beyond Oasis (now this one I absolutely loved).

Super Street Fighter II

Golden Axe was pretty awesome as well.

I think I liked Sonic II best of all the Sonic games.

oh yeah, Beyond Oasis! and Soldiers of Fortune

Walsingham said:

My intro to console systems was the 16-bit Sega Genesis (missed the 8-bit era). I've only owned 3 consoles in my life; Sega Genesis, Xbox 360 & then an older original Xbox (to play some classic Xbox games that didn't emulate well on 360).

My favorite sonic was Sonic 3 + Sonic & Knuckles cartridge attachment. One of, if not the first 'expansion pack' for a cartridge console system. Sonic 3 was already awesome, but plugging in Knuckles turned the game into an epic game.

Some random Sega games I enjoyed: Earthworm Jim 1 & 2, Streets of Rage trilogy, Shinobi 3: Return of the Ninja Master, Vectorman 1 & 2, Flashback, Comix Zone (sucked into a comic jump from panel to panel), Road Rash trilogy, Skitchen (Road Rash with skates instead of motorcycles) & Ranger X to name a few.

Batman & Robin had to be one of my favorite Sega games. The graphics were amazing for a Sega game, even superior to most SNES games and the music was great too (Jespyr Kid of the Hitman games).

My favorites

Ninja Gaiden 1 and 2 (3 was ok)

Megaman 1,2,3 never got to playing the rest.

SMB 3

Contra and Super C

Guerilla War

That game where you can flip gravity and you're a robot

Lifeforce

Double Dragon 1 and 2 (3 was ok, too short and less epic)

Batman

Battletoads (I beat this game once and never managed to again. I always died at that stupid water level with the instant death spikes)

TMNT 1 and 2

Blastermaster

Ironsword

NES was a great system. I didn't like Metroid or the Zelda games on NES though. On the SNES, Zelda and Metroid were awesome.

for anyone wondering:

YES gunstar heroes is still VERY fun to this day. Its not even very hard if you put it on easy, and is much tougher when put on hard. They did a good job with the difficulty scaling.

but seriously, this game is a.w.e.s.o.m.e.

for reals. go get it.

AND PLAY WITH A FRIEND!!!! its ok single player, but FANTASTIC when played 2 player, just be careful not to throw eachother off the plane during the orange boss fight :lol:

oh and for people wondering, this was Treasure's first game (or first hit at least) but its a contra style action game, not a top down shooter.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

for anyone wondering:

YES gunstar heroes is still VERY fun to this day. Its not even very hard if you put it on easy, and is much tougher when put on hard. They did a good job with the difficulty scaling.

for reals. go get it.

AND PLAY WITH A FRIEND!!!! its ok single player, but FANTASTIC when played 2 player, just be careful not to throw eachother off the plane during the orange boss fight :lol:

oh and for people wondering, this was Treasure's first game (or first hit at least) but its a contra style action game, not a top down shooter.

I loved it too. I'd always play on the normal difficulty. If you are on 360 you can get a version on XBLA for $5 bucks. Worth it IMHO, as you can play over XBLA with a coop buddy. Don't know if it is on the PSN or not.

Excitebike was the one with the level editor, right?

Yep, one of the first games I remember being able to edit stuff easily.

Excitebike has certainly had its influence on the likes of Joe Danger and Trails HD.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

We had Segas in my youth for some reason, I was happy enough with Sonic until age 9 though.

The SNES Mario Kart was glorious, though...

for anyone wondering:

for reals. go get it.

I loved it too. I'd always play on the normal difficulty. If you are on 360 you can get a version on XBLA for $5 bucks. Worth it IMHO, as you can play over XBLA with a coop buddy. Don't know if it is on the PSN or not.

Its available on Steam, and Wii definately, fairly certain I've seen it on PSN, but meh, can't check.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!