Desert Island Discs

Monte Carlo

Desert Island Discs is a classic radio programme here in the UK, on BBC Radio 4.

It's very simple. You are marooned on a desert island. You are allowed to bring eight pieces of music with you to play on a notionally magical device of some description, plus a luxury item. Interesting and / or well-known people come onto the show and explain why song 'A' or piece of music 'Y' is so important and makes it onto the island.

So here we go, please post your eight pieces of desert island music with as much or as little explanation as you wish for it's inclusion. Luxury item optional.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I'ev already banged on about my favourite tunes enough on here. But I'm interested to hear what everyone else's are.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I could pick 8 albums, but if we're talking single songs here, there's no way I could confine myself to that.

Luxury item...if I'm assuming this is a 'lost on an island' scenario where there would be no electricity etc. (since we're talking about a magical music player...) then for me it would definitely be a supply of good firesteel/ferro rods. Rubbing sticks for friction, for most people, is hard.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Music wise I'd bring:

Beethoven, especially the 7th symphony - more specific?

Debussy's

Samuel Barber's

Edvarg Grierg's Morgenstimmung.

The Knife

Bon Iver

Cliff Martinez First Sleep

Kashmir

It's 50% classical because it's the only kind of music I can hear on repeat without going insane. The other songs are to remind me of good times.

Fortune favors the bald.

Obvious luxury item would be something to play those 8 discs on?

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Andreas Scholl - the Voice

Nanci Griffith - Other Voices, Other Rooms

Andrew Bird - Armchair Apocrypha

Pablo Casals - Bach Cello Suites

Heifetz & Reiner - Brahms & Tchaikovsky Violin Concertos

Bob Dylan - Blood on the Tracks

Arthur Grumiaux - Bach Violin Concertos

Ani DiFranco - Canon

Admittedly picking 8 discs is very difficult for someone like me who buy over 20 cds per month on average. I'll probably give an entire different selection today if the weather here is less gloomy.

Bob Marley Legends

Jimmy Buffet Bars, Beaches, Bikinis & Ballads (4 disc set)

Led Zepplin Box set (4 disc set)

Kenny Chesney Lucky Old Sun

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Can I just smuggle 8 game discs instead?

Edited by Tale
"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

The Police -Message in a bottle

The Offspring - Gotta get away

and whatever other songs there are that fit the general idea of "I gotta get off this island"

Edit: Marvin Gaye - Let's get it on

for when after 3 months that goat starts looking really appealing.

Edited by Orogun01
I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif