Bulletstorm

Kaftan Barlast

I didnt go in with any expectations here, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Ive only played it for about an hour but the gameplay is slick and spot on. Ive also not encountered any performance issues, im running it 1920x1200 with an old GTX 260 and its fast and smooth just like an U3 game should be.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

imma get this when it costs $10 in a year or two

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

I think its set in the Gears of War universe, so thats what the general feel is like. Except this is a fast-paced FPS, not a cover-based shooter.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

single player demo was incredibly dull and boring. Should be fun in multiplayer though.

There is no competitive multiplayer. Here's all it has currently:

Anarchy mode is a take on the wave-based gameplay of Gears of War 2's Horde mode. You team up with up to three friends and face off against waves of enemies, trying to get the highest score possible. Each wave gets progressively harder, with enemies becoming increasingly more intelligent and larger in number. The twist is in how you complete each wave. Instead of simply trying to kill the opposition, you have to kill them in specific ways to earn skill points. This might involve kicking them off a bridge to earn a "vertigo" kill or pushing them into electricity pylons to earn a "shocker" kill.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/untitled...p;mode=previews

I didnt go in with any expectations here, but I was very pleasantly surprised. Ive only played it for about an hour but the gameplay is slick and spot on. Ive also not encountered any performance issues, im running it 1920x1200 with an old GTX 260 and its fast and smooth just like an U3 game should be.

I played Bulletstorm demo, thought it was a terrible bland one trick pony, that was basically dark messiah with guns, and a score system.

Then yesturday, I played first 10 minutes of Bulletstorm, thought, maybe game not so bad, maybe buy Bulletstorm, give it a chance.

So I boughts it, played for 2 hours, realised demo was correct.

5/10.

Crappy decals too, and crappy story, and basically *yawn*.

Bulletstorm's tag like shouldn't be "kill with skill", it should be "challenge not included".

Also, me got PS3 version, its got some crappy typical UE issue, like steaming and blah. Bad tech use, I got PS3 version, because I specifically didn't want no GoW 3 beta, gears sucks.

Edited by Nightshape

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

sounds pretty rough. for research purposes, what fps games do you genuinely like nightshape? (this helps me put your review in a context of your taste so that I might better see it's accuracy for a person of MY taste)

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

sounds pretty rough. for research purposes, what fps games do you genuinely like nightshape? (this helps me put your review in a context of your taste so that I might better see it's accuracy for a person of MY taste)

Did you like the demo? Or did you dislike the demo... Because if you liked the demo you may enjoy the game.

I'd say that Bulletstorm is basically a mish-mash of Dark Messiah(Spiked walls + kick), MadWorld(Score for kill creativity) and Call of Duty(General shooty stuff, like iron sights, and quto aim etc...).

*cutscene*

*kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *shoot* and *boom* and *kick* and *level up some item* and *kick* and *kick* and *kick* and *shoot* and *whip* and *cutscene*... etc...

Are you with me?

I'm not sure if the demo is a good representation of the full game.

It features only echo mode while campaign works a little differently.

The core gameplay is the same.

The rule with Bulletstorm is more of "Do you enjoy FPS games?" because if you do, then you will enjoy this game. And dont get the console versions that have auto-aim, because that defeats the whole meaning of skillshots.

gears sucks.

No, Gears of War is awesome and you have dodgy taste in games.

The rule with Bulletstorm is more of "Do you enjoy FPS games?" because if you do, then you will enjoy this game. And dont get the console versions that have auto-aim, because that defeats the whole meaning of skillshots.

gears sucks.

I love FPS games, but I don't love this one. At least what I've seen of the demo. The whole gimmick of knocking things around for points, when other shooters just do it as a background mechanic doesn't interest me.

I'm far more interested in Duke Forever for my irreverent blow **** up fps experience. Will be able to knock enemies off railings without big 50 POINTS text covering the screen etc.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

gears sucks.

Gears of War the homoerotic, action movie, parody - that it is? Please... And empting that much ammo into an enemy is never fun.

Bulletstorm has nothing in common with gears, past the engine. The skillshots are hardly skillful... The game doesn't feel very challenging. The attitude is more of the over the top bull you get from Gears.

*sigh* Maybe the experience is so vastly different on PC, I don't know... I never thought twice about buying it on PC, didn't seem like PC would have been the lead platform.

Generally speaking, I think Bulletstorm is fun as hell. I do wish it had been more of a classic, "pure" FPS, like Painkiller where you could jump, story segments were only at the end of levels/chapters and there was none of the upgrading bullcrap.

The story is rubbish but I was surprised at how fun I found the writing to be, I expected to absolutely *hate* it but it's good and silly fun.

And I love the weapons. Only weapon that I don't like is the Sniper Rifle because the gimmick really slows the game down.

All things considered, it's the most fun FPS I've played in quite a while.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

The story is rubbish but I was surprised at how fun I found the writing to be, I expected to absolutely *hate* it but it's good and silly fun.

Funnily enough the script is a work of a comic book writer Rick Remender.

I sometimes wonder why do they waste professionals on games that could easily do without a story.

Edited by pmp10

Gears of War the homoerotic, action movie, parody - that it is? Please... And empting that much ammo into an enemy is never fun.

Bulletstorm has nothing in common with gears, past the engine. The skillshots are hardly skillful... The game doesn't feel very challenging. The attitude is more of the over the top bull you get from Gears.

*sigh* Maybe the experience is so vastly different on PC, I don't know... I never thought twice about buying it on PC, didn't seem like PC would have been the lead platform.

Gears is a poor single player experience, but it feels like a different game in coop mode. A bit like Resident Evil 5 in that regard.

Bulletstorm is the result if you don't have any compelling concept or don't put any thought into your game design. It's one of those 90s id Soft shooters style where some amateurs come up with an idea during lunch and just go ahead and implement it. With Epic Games and UE3 backing you you can actually can get away with this.

Other developers have to try harder.