new scientific discoveries

Wrath of Dagon

HAL isnt radiation proof, it just helps the poor bastard wearing the 132 lb tungsten vest. This is the same robot they developed to help the old and infirm.

This new type of HAL robot suit supports the weight of protective clothing made of tungsten and enables the wearer to work on the site without feeling the burden,"...

This is true. However, the point is that it demonstrates how much the thing can schlepp. I can imagine the artillery loving those things.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

This is true. However, the point is that it demonstrates how much the thing can schlepp. I can imagine the artillery loving those things.

Slightly related, and you would've seen the wireless, free-roaming BigDog predecessor around the net somewhere (if not,

), but here is the militarised prototype of the BigDog robot mule:

I love the bit at the end, where it gets up from being on its side.

You could get a person and put it on that robo mule. Have a cycentaur.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Talking about the spread of tech, rather than new tech, the Mexican cartels have begun building their own microwave network...

-Elwood Blues

I'm still not convinced. I'd like to see an independent particle accelerator confirm the result. Although I don't know if any of the ones in the USA, Japan, Europe, China are capable of replicating the result any time soon (may need to build a new one).

Not because I don't trust CERN (in fact, I do), but because the implications are along the lines of "oh by the way, humanity, we just invented perpetual motion".

EDIT: Actually, looks like we might have confirmation within the next year according to the BBC:

"This additional test we made is confirming our original finding, but still we have to be very prudent, still we have to look forward to independent confirmation. But this is a positive result."

That confirmation may be much longer in coming, as only a few facilities worldwide have the detectors needed to catch the notoriously flighty neutrinos - which interact with matter so rarely as to have earned the nickname "ghost particles".

Next year, teams working on two other experiments at Gran Sasso experiments - Borexino and Icarus - will begin independent cross-checks of Opera's results.

The US Minos experiment and Japan's T2K experiment will also test the observations. It is likely to be several months before they report back.

Edited by Krezack

Not because I don't trust CERN (in fact, I do), but because the implications are along the lines of "oh by the way, humanity, we just invented perpetual motion".

My thoughts went more along the lines of "Oh look, the Earth isn't flat after all!" :skeptical:

I hope they are correct. The universe would be a stale and dull place if the standard model actually applied to it. That's why I keep checking in on the FTL communications and cryptology studies in that Austrian university every now and then to see if they discover anything new.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I'm totally with Gorth on this one. No faster than light sounds like the kind of thing that Austrian fellow would say just because it was gloomy.

-Elwood Blues

Not directly science..but still, it's something DARPA are kicking around..

DARPA attempts to "game-ify" software verification techniques

Interesting, I was being told about a UK company looking at that today...

-Elwood Blues

Face transplant win.

I don't know about you, but I get a real kick out of seeing these successes.

-Elwood Blues

Chemists design automated method of rapidly discovering new molecules (including their reaction pathways).

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-11-techni...fast-track.html

This is freaking awesome. Their method uses a robot. But that's not the terribly interesting part. What's interesting is that somebody has applied the methods of mass production to molecule discovery.

I'm confused, Raithe. Are you saying that if we want to solve the global financial crisis then the G8 leaders should wear wifebeaters?

-Elwood Blues

I'm confused, Raithe. Are you saying that if we want to solve the global financial crisis then the G8 leaders should wear wifebeaters?

I find it quirky that there's that whole "show skin/flash flesh" and people get considered to have lower intelligence, lower self-control etc.. And I'm thinking of the various girls I knew at university who were studying to be doctors, nurses, etc... who paid their bills by working at some of the.. a.. gentleman's clubs in the area.

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I find it quirky that there's that whole "show skin/flash flesh" and people get considered to have lower intelligence, lower self-control etc.. And I'm thinking of the various girls I knew at university who were studying to be doctors, nurses, etc... who paid their bills by working at some of the.. a.. gentleman's clubs in the area.

Fascinating. I believe we should immediately set up a commission of enquiry to study whether poledancing should be made mandatory for zesty college girls.

Further I believe this is too important to play politics with, and to demonstrate and underscore the urgency of this commission, I shall reach out and ask Mkreku to chair.

-Elwood Blues

• 2 weeks later...
They've (probably) found Higgs.

Zesty college girls?

-Elwood Blues

They've (probably) found Higgs.

Zesty college girls?

I do love good eye candy every now and then, but no, I'm talking about CMS and ATLAS independently finding spikes matching Higgs boson decay at 125 gigaelectronvolts. Each results is between sigma 2 and 3 significance, but the fact that they both found something there, and both at exactly the same electronvolt level makes it more significant than the individual sigma of either result.

More collisions will be run to increase the level of significance to an acceptable threshold.

Basically, once confirmed, this will be one of those historic moments in history when humans discover something fundamental about the universe - why things have mass.

I'd like to take a moment to remind us of a little thing, as we read about the LHC:

Those folks who say we're no better than the animals? They're ****ing wrong.

-Elwood Blues