Deus Ex 3

Pidesco

I.. I think I just spunked in my pants.. im so excited for this... just saying..

World of Darkness News

http://www.wodnews.net

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

http://www.sarifindustries.com/

Let the viral marketing begin...

What a total GITS ripoff.

Yup, i would even wager that they saw the intro of GITS: Innocence and almost copy+pastet it. Still, anyone who shows appriciation to GITS is okay in my book.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Uh. Are we working from the assumption the ghost in the shell invented cybernetic human augmentation, or is there another layer of "ripping off" I'm not seeing. Or are we back to the old conundurum that if it were something else, people would bitch that "it's not even proper cyberpunk" and now that it is, it's a "GITS RIPOFF"?

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Uh. Are we working from the assumption the ghost in the shell invented cybernetic human augmentation, or is there another layer of "ripping off" I'm not seeing. Or are we back to the old conundurum that if it were something else, people would bitch that "it's not even proper cyberpunk" and now that it is, it's a "GITS RIPOFF"?

You're reading too deep into this. Merely stating that once the augmented hand and eye popped up, I was instantly reminded of GITS2.

You're reading too deep into this. Merely stating that once the augmented hand and eye popped up, I was instantly reminded of GITS2.

I'm reading too much into "What a total GITS ripoff."? Sure.

Well they have GiTS, BR as "inspirations", or so they've blabbed on about.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It's kind of hard to do anything cyberpunk without referring to either Bladerunner or GiTS in the current age...

Pop culture is pretty much cemented by those sorts of referential icons of the style.

That and there's only so many ways you can make slick cybernetics look.. :shifty:

Personally I was getting flashes for some of the art to the various Shadowrun Augmentation-type books... but then taking a general look and making it look "weird" just to differentiate it from all others in that style can be pointless...

You can get away with sticking spikes, and all sorts of ornamental crap on armor or vehicles to make them look funky..and still keep a certain level of belief in their functionality. But it's a little bit harder to do sp with limbs and body parts..

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

Personally I was getting flashes for some of the art to the various Shadowrun Augmentation-type books... but then taking a general look and making it look "weird" just to differentiate it from all others in that style can be pointless...

Yepp.

It's kind of hard to do anything cyberpunk without referring to either Bladerunner or GiTS in the current age...

Pop culture is pretty much cemented by those sorts of referential icons of the style.

That and there's only so many ways you can make slick cybernetics look.. :thumbsup:

You can get away with sticking spikes, and all sorts of ornamental crap on armor or vehicles to make them look funky..and still keep a certain level of belief in their functionality. But it's a little bit harder to do sp with limbs and body parts..

Totally agree. On a related note I always got the impression, in DX1 at least, they had a fair amount of inspiration from Shadowrun. I am waiting for a real solid CRPG SR PC game to be done. I think Obsidian would be marvelous at it. As they seem to be the ones of the current batch of studios least afraid to really go to dark places with themes & their writing. FO:NV a great example.

World of Darkness News

---

"I cannot profess to be a theologian; but it seems to me that Christians who believe in a super human Satan have got themselves into a logical impasse with regard to their own religion. For either God can not prevent the mischief of Satan, in which case he is not omnipotent; or else He could do so if he wished, but will not, in which case He is not benevolent. Fortunately, being a pagan witch, I am not called upon to solve this problem."

- Doreen Valiente

Totally agree. On a related note I always got the impression, in DX1 at least, they had a fair amount of inspiration from Shadowrun. I am waiting for a real solid CRPG SR PC game to be done. I think Obsidian would be marvelous at it. As they seem to be the ones of the current batch of studios least afraid to really go to dark places with themes & their writing. FO:NV a great example.

What amused me was that in some Shadowrun supplement published post DX1, they slipped in a few offhand comments about UNATCO and Liberty Island.. I'm trying to remember exactly where it was.. but it was some throwaway paragraph...

"Cuius testiculos habeas, habeas cardia et cerebellum."

I, for one, am still waiting for a real unicorn.

i c what u did thar

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare has a unicorn.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

What amused me was that in some Shadowrun supplement published post DX1, they slipped in a few offhand comments about UNATCO and Liberty Island.. I'm trying to remember exactly where it was.. but it was some throwaway paragraph...

That's awesome. SR writers generally like to poke little inside jokes about current history into their books. For example I recall one book talking about a 'Austrian actor who become gov and tried to get a amendment so he could run for president' comment in it around the time arnold took won the election. Little things like that I always found entertaining in SR.

To me SR also seems made to be a MMORPG. Just the concept and background screams awesome MMORPG (assuming its executed correctly and not done half arsed)

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente

By that logic every RPG setting screams to be an MMO.

Every PnP RPG is based in a cyberpunk future dystopia where groups are hired to perform black ops style missions? huh... wasn't aware of that...

World of Darkness News

---

- Doreen Valiente