Nehrim: An Oblivion total conversion mod

Meshugger

Welcome to the future then :p

The Force Unleashed Steam download is ~30GB

OK. I see I am just as behind the times as ever. Reassuring.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to take my Model T in for a tune up.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I got the mod installed and tried to run it, but it needs the Oblivion disc, so I have to hunt that out. From where ever.

Also, it looks like my firewall is blocking the updater. Not a big deal but I don't know if I am going to bother mucking about with my firewall settings just to update to whatever is current. I'll just run with whatever version I've got. FOr starters, anyway.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

I've been playing it for a bit now, and I have to say I am impressed. It's always quite something to see what changes dedicated fans can make to a game. Many of the problems that Oblivion had have been at least somewhat fixed. There's an emphasis on solving quests through the use of interaction with the gameworld vs just killing anything that moves. Theres a much more involved crafting system.

It still feels like Oblivion, which is pretty bizarre, as the gameplay is much improved.

Probably what Oblivion should have been.

That's it. I am downloading it.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

It's little slow to start with: the opening dungeon goes on for a while and it takes a little while to get out into the open world. But once you arrive at the Abbey, it's pretty much what ever rpg fan who wants to play around in an open world is looking for.

I had a hard time adjusting to the emphasis on using the environment and scripted events to sold quests, but I'm getting into the swing of it now.

Your diary is very important since it contains hints on what to do to solve the various situations that confront you.

One is better off playing Two Worlds or a Gothic game than this. The setting has absolutely nothing to do with Tamriel, and couldn't be more generic. Elder Scrolls fans should continue waiting for Tamriel Rebuilt.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Elder Scrolls fans should continue waiting for Tamriel Rebuilt.

Wait, it's not yet done? I've heard about that when I was still playing Oblivion.. which was many years ago. :>

In my opinion, Nehrim is way better than Oblivion vanilla in every aspect. For a mod, pretty impressive work.

"only when you no-life you can exist forever, because what does not live cannot die."

One is better off playing Two Worlds or a Gothic game than this. The setting has absolutely nothing to do with Tamriel, and couldn't be more generic. Elder Scrolls fans should continue waiting for Tamriel Rebuilt.

The fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ES stuff is a giant plus. As far as generic goes, contemporary high fantasy is generic across the board, especially in video games. Tamriel/ES is about as generic as it gets.

I played it for a good few hours and I have to say I'm impressed at the creative effort that's been put into it, on the downside even on pretty damn low settings it runs worse than Crysis :wacko:

Also, is the info on the first page of this thread incorrect? I'm getting all German voice acting, schnell!

I played it for a good few hours and I have to say I'm impressed at the creative effort that's been put into it, on the downside even on pretty damn low settings it runs worse than Crysis :o

Also, is the info on the first page of this thread incorrect? I'm getting all German voice acting, schnell!

Yep, the frame rate takes a hit in places, especially where there's lots of NPCs.

I think the English translation is subtitles only. That's what I have anyway.

The fact that it has nothing whatsoever to do with the ES stuff is a giant plus. As far as generic goes, contemporary high fantasy is generic across the board, especially in video games. Tamriel/ES is about as generic as it gets.

You haven't quite delved deeply into Tamriel/ES lore, have you? It's the only fantasy setting (aside from certain outlandish jRPG ones) that doesn't copy Tolkien or real-world mythology tropes. Each Tamriel race has its own version of the ES monomyth, which itself is completely alien to any other fantasy setting out there.

And of course, I completely ignore Oblivion when writing this, considering how much it butchered established lore. :o

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You haven't quite delved deeply into Tamriel/ES lore, have you? It's the only fantasy setting (aside from certain outlandish jRPG ones) that doesn't copy Tolkien or real-world mythology tropes. Each Tamriel race has its own version of the ES monomyth, which itself is completely alien to any other fantasy setting out there.

And of course, I completely ignore Oblivion when writing this, considering how much it butchered established lore. :thumbsup:

I've been playing TES since Daggerfall. (I have Arena but still haven't played it). I get where you're coming from in regards to Daggerfall and Morrowind as far as some of the background lore, but the gameplay is still the generic magic swords, lost kings, giant rats and so forth.

I'm not knocking generic, especially in video games. Generic has nothing to do with fun; Daggerfall remains my 2nd fave crpg of all time.

So I've been playing this on and off for the last week. Anyone lookign for a first person sandbox rpg should at least give this a try. AFter all, its free. And very good. Much better than Oblivion.

post-378-1285467628_thumb.jpg

I would have to go out and buy Oblivion first, but I would be surprised if I couldn't find it in a bargain somewhere now :skull:

Same thing goes for Fallout 3 actually. Never tried that one.

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein