Mass effect 2 and Dying True Rpgs

If we don't like a game, we can reclassify it? I like that idea.

"Show me a man who "plays fair" and I'll show you a very talented cheater."

I was referring to the "light-RPG" bit.

Why can't you judge a game on it's own strengths instead of trying to fit it into one of the genre holes? The lines are pretty blurry up to this point.

Good idea, Tale. Beyond Good and Evil was a horrible boat racer, San Andreas was a terrible RPG and Red Faction barely had any adventure in it at all!

Edited by Purkake

Not that funny when they're screaming for that image. I prefer to label it a "shooter with dialogue".

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I can see where people come from with that perspective. Now that they're making a few changes for Dragon Age 2, I've had to consider how the establishment of a default and even somewhat forced identity such as a name and appearance can potentially (but not necessarilly) take away from player ownership and investment of a character.

But I still think anyone who considers ME2 all that different from ME1 in regards to roleplaying is a bit batty.

Edited by Tale

Not sure where the 'lite' comes in. ME2 has a lot more 'role' in it than quite a few games I've seen unanimously accepted as 'RPGs'. I can understand people preferring other approaches to gameplay, but does real time with pause/turn based equal RPG?

Wasn't Deux Ex pretty universally accepted as an RPG? :ermm:

You're a cheery wee bugger, Nep. Have I ever said that?

ahyes.gifReapercussionsahyes.gif

Not that funny when they're screaming for that image. I prefer to label it a "shooter with dialogue".

Shhhhhhhh!

Deus Ex is far from being close to a RPG. It played as a shooter, had the depth of story of a shooter, it is a shooter. Maybe a shooter with some originality (like having some minor augs and bits of dialogues), but not a RPG.

Edited by Purkake

Well it did separate your skill from the character a bit - re: weapons...and hm, about all actually (lockpicking, hacking, electronics could count but no player skill there).

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

ME series = awesome 'flaws and all'. It certainly beats the KOTOR series which no doubt many of which who bash ME somehow think is better. KOTOR series is a joke. ME series is one of the best RPGs ever. KOTOR series is not.

What the hell ?

Mass effect is great,but it it isnt the best rpg ever,best rpg sure is kotor. KOTOR is in another league of Excellency.

Are you realy serious of what you are saying?

Obviously you're new here. Maybe we should have an introductory post or a Volo warning sign?

Why does Volourn still manage to drag us into these dumb arguments?

No idea. I managed to deflect with kittens. Other people obviously don't like kittens.

The problem with kittens is that they grow up to be cats. Cats are kind of douchebags.

Thanks for the warning.

another note about Volourn, never ever ever bring up nwn oc. just don't do it.

it summons him...

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

The Neverwinter Nights original campaign killed my inner child.

Does your cat randomly attack your head while you sit on the couch, too?

i know its a cat

but it still sounds wrong :aiee:

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

my cat walks along the sofa behind my head when im playing console games. she will often try to fall asleep directly between my head and the sofa, like a pillow. i welcome her to attempt it but inevitably she gets squished after a few minutes and squirms free.

then she tries to eat everything in sight and knock over every glass on the table.