What

[...] my favourite one is that the market has changed and casual games for people with little time and short attention spans shall inherit the earth.

From my personal perspective, in terms of what types of games are typically being produced/marketed these days, I'd say that's my favorite theory too. And I don't even care about being strongly "plot driven". :) But even the obsessive 'tinkering' aspects or silly goofing off I enjoyed so much in the past - the things that for me made a game replayable - often feels like it's missing. Instead of getting a gobstopper I'm getting a piece of gum.

Edited by LadyCrimson
“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

PC gaming's biggest drawback; IMO, is (aside from Greylord's reasons) that developers have lost interest in PC exclusives. PC gaming was always a bit of a closed community, with it's biggest titles moving to consoles and online multiplayer no longer being just for PC it's not a big wonder that gamers started choosing console and publisher following the market.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

It's crap. They know, you know it, I know it, everyone knows. Video games are not dying. That's bull. To try to spin like that makes the video/news article garbage and anyone associated with it scumbag liars who despite their 'experience' in the industry ar eobviously ignorant.

Despite the headline, the video is not about the death of video games.

I agree that the industry killed itself with intrusive, hostile DRM schemes and failed to tackle piracy in any meaningful way.

Having said that, by the time gaming 'dies' (although there will always be a niche and one that I suspect I will happily dwell in) a console will appear that will run all the games I like to play. Again, it might be a niche product within the console canon but it will be there.

The market is king, and the market for the games I like is there.

sonsofgygax.JPG

It's crap. They know, you know it, I know it, everyone knows. Video games are not dying. That's bull. To try to spin like that makes the video/news article garbage and anyone associated with it scumbag liars who despite their 'experience' in the industry ar eobviously ignorant.

Starcraft 2 just sold 1.5mil in 2 two days. the industry isn't die and to say so is to lie.

You haven't watched the video, else you wouldn't be ranting about the BS sensationalist title, I can't help that... I'm speaking specifically about the content there in.

And if you have watched them, and this is still your stance, STFU, you're not being constructive.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

"It's absolutely true the PC gaming industry is dying."

No, no it isn't. But, hey, let's all pretend that games like WOW don't exist on the PC. LMAO

The current retail model, and development model is changing. The way things have worked up until now is dying, sure, but games themselves are not.

Quit being an ignorant jerk Volo.

Watched the videos and I think we can all agree that the conclusion is that more stuff on more platforms through more distribution platforms are emerging. There's also a lot of mixing. Some day you probably can play a video game on your toaster (and hopefully still can make Toast too).

Put a screen on your toaster and you can already do it with OnLive...

"You haven't watched the video, else you wouldn't be ranting about the BS sensationalist title, I can't help that... I'm speaking specifically about the content there in."

Don't need to watch it. The title says everything that I need to know about the video. Game industry is not dying. That's a fact.

"The current retail model, and development model is changing. The way things have worked up until now is dying, sure, but games themselves are not.

Quit being an ignorant jerk Volo."

I'm ignorant for telling the truth? Video game industry is not dying. But civility is consideirng all the nonsensical flaming I'm getting in this thread for telling the truth - video games are not dying. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Plain, and simple.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Don't need to watch it. The title says everything that I need to know about the video. Game industry is not dying. That's a fact.

You've been explicitly told that the video's contents aren't about the video game industry dying. You're just plugging your ears and screaming at this point. That's a fact.

You've been explicitly told that the video's contents aren't about the video game industry dying. You're just plugging your ears and screaming at this point. That's a fact.

Maybe if you just ignored him...

But you can buy used console games and that's exactly what publishers hate so much. You can't do that to a Steamworks game for example.

Publishers also hate rentals and free online but as long as there is sufficient competition in the market they dare not do anything about it. That PC is being burdened with more restrictive DRMs is simply a result of platform oriented games disappearing.

As for steam - making it mandatory has only become more widespread recently.

Besides it may have more to do with requiring a dlc delivery platform than any form of ownership control. Since it is supposed to be the future of PC gaming it will make a poor selling point from a customer pov.

I don't think I do reply to him every time.

I also don't recall telling him to shut up or anything like that. In general I actually find his posts entertaining.

I find reading similar arguments over and over quite tiresome.

Can we just not feed the troll?

Lets not make the thread about Volo. We all know he's ignorant. We all know he's tiresome.

Personally I find the move towards micro-transactions interesting, especially when you consider the likes of say farmville, who'd have thought something like that would catch on?

I'm not worried about the PC dying as a platform, though in terms of games retail through retailers, yeah that's dead... The PC will, as its always been, blaze a trail towards the technology we shall expect to see in the next generation of consoles.

Next five years are likely to indicate that the PC gamer gets all their games via digital distribution, physical media is likely to fall to the wayside.

The next generation of consoles are very likely to be focus'd towards digital delivery, but I'm not wholey certain that we can expect the death of physical media for consoles. I'd expect that one of the big three will likely take a big gamble and do it.

In terms of games development, I'm fairly certain that we can expect to see the rise of the developer giants, with publishers holding less power than they do currently. I also expect there to be a whole cluster of smaller indie developers creating cool small games, Hello Games is a good example of a micro studio producing some excellent software, and media molecule is also a fairly small studio which is out there on the world stage.

Or in short, the views expressed in the video mirror my own, and its pretty much the vibe I'm getting from all industry professionals that I've run into.

But lets not forget, we're all liars, Volo said so.

I work in book publishing, an industry also said to be 'dying.' And as with video games, all that's really happening is that the business model is in the midst of a sea change, where present success seems more a function of risky trial-and-error innovation.

In both cases the problem isn't so much diminishing consumer demand (there certainly aren't fewer gamers, nor are there fewer readers) as it is different consumer expectations. Customers now expect things they wouldn't have dreamt of a decade ago: nigh-instant on-demand delivery, a low intro price point, and strong social components/reinforcements

A dull boy.

Personally I find the move towards micro-transactions interesting, especially when you consider the likes of say farmville, who'd have thought something like that would catch on?

Am inclined to agree. Company of Heroes online (free) will have micro-transactional content (paid for) which you could win if you had time to grind and earn it.

It's an ingenious way of increasing the longevity of a four-five year old game, and MMORPGs will go the same way. Core game = free. Modules / premium content = paid. It's entirely fair you can't complain as the consumer.

My personal beef is the trend / effort to segue gaming with social networking (I can see the suits in meetings cracking whips to get the devs to squeeze a cent from the false synergy between WoW and Facebook). As a social networking hater, who sees it as nothing but cynical data harvesting industry, I don't want gaming to become a wing of it.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG