RANDOM VIDEO GAME NEWS THREAD!, just a dumping ground

The more I read about this new biosomething game, the less interested I get.

Moving on... nothing to see there...

Perkele, tiädäksää tuanoini!

"It's easier to tolerate idiots if you do not consider them as stupid people, but exceptionally gifted monkeys."

I don't really blame them. They made a game that sold 4 million+ units, so there's a lot of pressure on them. With such a success, you're doomed to develop within the same franchise.

But I'm not unhappy, worst that could happen would be a plain Bioshock 3 set in Rapture.

i dunno, christopher nolan has been rather successful lately and batman begins, the prestige, dark knight, and inception are all pretty darn different, and two of those are batman movies and they still manage to feel very different from eachother.

I think its a shame that they could have done anything they wanted with the capital they earned from knocking bioshock out of the park, and they chose to make something so similar looking to their last project.

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

good lord thats a stupid idea....

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

i dunno, christopher nolan has been rather successful lately and batman begins, the prestige, dark knight, and inception are all pretty darn different, and two of those are batman movies and they still manage to feel very different from eachother.

I think its a shame that they could have done anything they wanted with the capital they earned from knocking bioshock out of the park, and they chose to make something so similar looking to their last project.

Christopher Nolan is not owned by investors. He can walk away and make movies for different people if he wants to.

This is not how game development works.

i don't every see myself buying a game for my phone. Maybe if I had a job which required a lot of travel or something but still i'd rather just use a laptop or DS.

i don't every see myself buying a game for my phone. Maybe if I had a job which required a lot of travel or something but still i'd rather just use a laptop or DS.

There are some nice free games for the iPhone/Android as well.

I've played plenty games on my iphone. Doom Resurrection was super awesome

What's wrong with you? It's Doom RPG or bust for the mobile platform.

Edited by Purkake

Christopher Nolan is not owned by investors. He can walk away and make movies for different people if he wants to.

This is not how game development works.

Levine is not literally owned by investors unless he has a contract for a certain amount of games or something like that. I'm sure if he said "Hi EA, I plan on making this unique and original game, my last unique and original game was bioshock. If you're interested in publishing this, gimme a call" they would probably give him a call...

look what happened with the guys from infinity ward, something tells me they will have the opportunity to make whatever they feel like (though I imagine they just want to make more military fps games)

or bungie finally getting freedom to make their own games...

I see a future where good developers (ie the speilbergs and camerons of the game world) can make their own games and have publishers fight over who gets to release it. Maybe I see that because its pretty much what happened with hollywood at the end of the studio era.

or bungie finally getting freedom to make their own games...

...and still making Halo games :)

zing!

edit: but that actually kinda is what im getting at too, I think Levine COULD have made pretty much whatever he wanted, and he went the safe but boring route (ie halo reach/ bioshock infinite). I would have preferred something a little more different (but not too different, i would not have been interested in a racing game for example)

edit 2: but also bungie is working a new IP, and thats what I was hoping Levine was working on too (actually i really just wanted system shock 3 so my cries for "originality" are pretty hypocritical)

Edited by entrerix

Levine is not literally owned by investors unless he has a contract for a certain amount of games or something like that.

His team certainly is. Irrational is owned by 2K. They could walk out en masse and create a studio from scratch (it's been done, certainly) but that would likely invite a lot of legal trouble, and no small amount of closed doors from publishers concerned about the "temperament" of the people they contract.

I see a future where good developers (ie the speilbergs and camerons of the game world) can make their own games and have publishers fight over who gets to release it.

It's just a bit ironic that you show such disdain for big-ticket games and deign to characterize James Cameron as an artiste in the world of film.

Fear 3 trailer looks slightly awesome.

Looks worse than the second FEAR, which was already abysmal.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"