C&VG: Sega rules out Alpha Protocol sequel

Neither ME2 or AP are that buggy. *shrug*

I agree, compared to FO3 or Kotor 2

I've had to restart multiple missions due to glitches/bugs in ME2 (which I don't recall ever having to do in the original).

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I've had to restart multiple missions due to glitches/bugs in ME2 (which I don't recall ever having to do in the original).

In FO3, I had the Jefferson Memorial crash that made my game crash every five minutes if I get too close to the JM building and would corrupt all the subsequent saves. Thus, for the main quest, I had to use the console and teleport to various locations to be able to do the quests involving the building.

Kotor 2 had more glitches than real bugs, true. But some were really annoying. At least, not game breakers.

Bloodlines had a game breaking bug that made a crash when taking the boat to escape the Leopold society. But then again, you could use the console to circumvent the issue.

That's a good point for games having consoles : the possibility to debug the game yourself easily without needing a patch.

Both Mass Effect games ran solid for me. As did Alpha Protocol.

Mass Effect 2 was probably the most stable.

Both Mass Effect games ran solid for me. As did Alpha Protocol.

Mass Effect 2 was probably the most stable.

Play Vanguard and see how many times you (or others) get stuck in the environment. The first time I did Mordin's loyalty mission, every Vorcha I encountered had it's feet stuck to box is was hiding behind (I could tell because the physics engine would blow their upper body back every time I hit them with a shotgun blast, but the lower legs didn't budge).

So far as crashes go, yes both MEs were stable. But stable != bug-free.

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I know tons of people that have played Vanguard without issue.

The point of my post was the bugs are often individualistic.

I know a lot of people that don't have issues with Alpha Protocol, and a lot of people that do. Some of them are game breaking issues that effectively block you from completing the game.

In other words, stating that your ME2 experience was less smooth than your AP experience doesn't say very much.

In other words, stating that your ME2 experience was less smooth than your AP experience doesn't say very much.

But the point is, though, that the reviews seemed to hammer AP because of these "issues", whereas games like ME and FO3 got a free pass when it came to similar issues.

So you're correct, in that some people experience issues that others don't for pretty much most games. But then the reviewers out there shouldn't harp on one game's, but ignore another's.

Which is pretty much the issue those who post they had no issues with AP are getting at.

"Console exclusive is such a harsh word." - Darque

"Console exclusive is two words Darque." - Nartwak (in response to Darque's observation)

But the point is, though, that the reviews seemed to hammer AP because of these "issues", whereas games like ME and FO3 got a free pass when it came to similar issues.

So you're correct, in that some people experience issues that others don't for pretty much most games. But then the reviewers out there shouldn't harp on one game's, but ignore another's.

Which is pretty much the issue those who post they had no issues with AP are getting at.

I'll agree that the reviewers putting it in the crosshairs seems uptight.

But posting "but my FO3 was hideous and buggy" still doesn't actually do anything.

My first playthrough of FO3 was pretty innocuous as well. Does that mean that the game was (or was not) buggy? More importantly, does that mean that the reviewer was being unfair if his playthrough of the game was not buggy?

"whereas games like ME and FO3 got a free pass when it came to similar issues."

Wrong. The difference is people, overall, prefer those games (btw I loathe FO3 personally), and the reviewer's opiniona dn experience is more important than ours during their review. Or should they approach writing THEIR review via YOUR experience? That's ridiculous.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Exactly.

• 1 month later...
Ex-Obsidian designer Patrick K. Mills said Obsidian owns Alpha Protocol IP.

Wait. So SEGA went all the way to say that there wouldn't be a sequel when they really weren't the one that should have said it in the first place? Wow. That was dickish.

Granted, I doubt there will be one considering the reception, but still...

All I can say is that the guy who posted that anonymous bull**** on gamespot or wherever about how everyone hated Chris Parker and the project in general is talking out his rear end.

And good god, was the Alpha Protocol development ****ED OUT. Really? Every single mission in Rome was basically something hacked together with demo levels and re-purposed levels? It's a miracle the game turned out as it did. I can understand why Chris was so proud when it came out.

Edited by WorstUsernameEver

If it is Mills, and he's tellin' the truth then why would Obsidian have just stated that Sega doesn't have rights to the IP and therefore can't unilaterally decide if an AP2 is amde since that would be up to Obsidian. Very suspicious.

That said, I have a sneaky suspicion that obsidian will try to find a publisher for AP2 which wouild be a bad idea and a waste of resources when they could be focused on good games.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

Am I the only one that enjoyed Alpha Protocol?

I don't think the point is about whether someone enjoyed or not Alpha Protocol but whether a sequel can be financially viable. I can see a publisher being less than happy with the prospect of publishing a sequel to a game that was repeatedly called unfinished and buggy, has a metacritic score under 70 and has sold 700k copies on 3 platforms.

Am I the only one that enjoyed Alpha Protocol?

I don't think the point is about whether someone enjoyed or not Alpha Protocol but whether a sequel can be financially viable. I can see a publisher being less than happy with the prospect of publishing a sequel to a game that was repeatedly called unfinished and buggy, has a metacritic score under 70 and has sold 700k copies on 3 platforms.

I see what you mean now, and I completely agree. But I still think there is a slight possibilty that we can see a sequel. I wouldn't mind if Square Enix published a sequel to AP, that is ofcourse if Dungeon Siege 3 sells well. Sqaure Enix wants a bigger cut from the western market and they are already familiar with RPGs(duh!), so it can happen, but it is probably unlikely.