North Korea attacks and sinks South Korean ship, killing 46 people

Humodour

My advice to the Pentagon is, this time, have a plan for what you're going to do after you pull all the statues of Kim Il Sung down.

Let's get the Chinese on board and pulverize the N. Korean regime, quickly, with as little collateral damage as possible. I suspect that North Korea is the one place where the population really will, unlike Iraq, welcome the S. Korean and US armoured columns trundling beyond the 38th parallel.

With a media fully controlled by the State & spouting propaganda 24/7, they're all hopelessly brainwashed. They're led to believe the outside world is evil and out to get them, similar to '50s Soviet Union.

Invading such a country might even trigger the population into full guerilla mode.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Considering that N.Koreans routinely risk their lives trying to escape I'd say you are right.

Cubans routinely risked their lives to get to Florida, yet the Bay of Pigs was a disaster.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"It is all that is left unsaid upon which tragedies are built." - Kreia

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, though."

Not as stupid as allowing mass murder go uncontested.

"With a media fully controlled by the State & spouting propaganda 24/7, they're all hopelessly brainwashed. They're led to believe the outside world is evil and out to get them, similar to '50s Soviet Union.

Invading such a country might even trigger the population into full guerilla mode."

There is absolutely no evidence what you just posted is true. There is no evidence that the majority of NK are in love with their 'esteemed' leader.

" I suspect that North Korea is the one place where the population really will, unlike Iraq, welcome the S. Korean and US armoured columns trundling beyond the 38th parallel. "

Most of Iraq wleomced the toppling of Saddam. They even welcomed the US to a degree. They did not welcome the absolute poor planning by the US an co post war, hwoever. Let's not forget that the majority of attacks against the US in early post Iraq waere done by Saddam supportyers (barring that one Shi'ite fellow's gang) and AQ. And, now, it's largely AQ. And, most of these attacks target Iraqis not Amerikan soldiers.

Plus, unlike Iraq, the US didn't lie about helping NKeans ala how Bush Sr and his allies did with Iraq in the First gulf War. That betrayal also likely wasn't forgotten.

Edited by Volourn

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"That would be a pretty stupid thing to do, though."

Not as stupid as allowing mass murder go uncontested.

You're very good at strawmanning.

Also, please use the quote feature in the future, it would make your posts much more readable.

"The universe is a yawning chasm, filled with emptiness and the puerile meanderings of sentience..." - Ulyaoth

"I thought this forum was for Speculation & Discussion, not Speculation & Calling People Trolls." - lord of flies

"Also, please use the quote feature in the future, it would make your posts much more readable."

I always use quotes. Real quotes like this: " , not fake ones.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Also, please use the quote feature in the future, it would make your posts much more readable."

I always use quotes. Real quotes like this: " , not fake ones.

I did not say use quotes. I said use the quote feature. It's vastly superior in terms of post formatting.

Thread pruned. :)

This forum is for discussions, not slapping each other in the face.

Excuse please. But where is this face slapping thread of which you speak?

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

To clarify, Bay of Pigs happened before mass emigration back when the revolution was still popular. What Kim Jong and Castro have done is secure the favor from the population in rural areas, securing support in case of guerrilla warfare or armed invasion.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

Something about someone being an idiot.

No, I meant it sounded like fun.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Er... much as I hate to contradict the learned professor, they had a massive impact. Because unlike most despotic regimes apartheid was sustained by a limited democracy. That democracy was wide enough that the people who made decisions got hurt by the buckshot of sanctions and eventually they decided they disliked the sanctions more than they disliked ending apartheid. Win for sanctions.

The problem with sanctions in most cases is that the regime is not the people getting hurt by the sanctions. In fact hurting the regular people is what the regime is generally doing in the first place. As would be the case here.

For this reason I suggest we appoint LoF as Obsidian ambassador to North Korea. I'm sure his world class understanding of marxism-leninism-maoism will be enough to convince them of the error of their ways.

Hmm, yes, let's steal the victories of the struggles of black South Africans and replace it with the struggle of white people to use sanctions. Wonderful.

Er... much as I hate to contradict the learned professor, they had a massive impact. Because unlike most despotic regimes apartheid was sustained by a limited democracy. That democracy was wide enough that the people who made decisions got hurt by the buckshot of sanctions and eventually they decided they disliked the sanctions more than they disliked ending apartheid. Win for sanctions.

The problem with sanctions in most cases is that the regime is not the people getting hurt by the sanctions. In fact hurting the regular people is what the regime is generally doing in the first place. As would be the case here.

For this reason I suggest we appoint LoF as Obsidian ambassador to North Korea. I'm sure his world class understanding of marxism-leninism-maoism will be enough to convince them of the error of their ways.

Hmm, yes, let's steal the victories of the struggles of black South Africans and replace it with the struggle of white people to use sanctions. Wonderful.

And what would you know about it, you bloody Walt? You paint yourself up in the colours of the people's champion but from what we can observe your sum total effort consist of waffle on the internet. I doubt you've shed a drop of sweat for your revolution let alone blood.

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

LOL a Commie Walt, that's a first. Usually they pretend to be from the Underwater Knife-Fighting Squad.

:thumbsup: Well, it occurred to me that's exactly what he is, tho! Claims all sorts of credit due to his involvement in the glorious revolution, but shows not the slightest evidence of having been anywhere nearer the revolution than Seattle. If he ever actually met a peasant he'd probably refuse to shake hands in case he caught something.

-Elwood Blues

Well, it occurred to me that's exactly what he is, tho! Claims all sorts of credit due to his involvement in the glorious revolution, but shows not the slightest evidence of having been anywhere nearer the revolution than Seattle. If he ever actually met a peasant he'd probably refuse to shake hands in case he caught something.
Nice baiting, but it won't work. Unlike you, I don't do good things for cred mining. Well, actually, that is like you, except that you don't actually do good things at all! Funny that.

Well, it occurred to me that's exactly what he is, tho! Claims all sorts of credit due to his involvement in the glorious revolution, but shows not the slightest evidence of having been anywhere nearer the revolution than Seattle. If he ever actually met a peasant he'd probably refuse to shake hands in case he caught something.
Nice baiting, but it won't work. Unlike you, I don't do good things for cred mining. Well, actually, that is like you, except that you don't actually do good things at all! Funny that.

Then please do tell of the many good deeds you have done for the revolution.

I'd say the answer to that question is kind of like the answer to "who's the sucker in this poker game?"*

*If you can't tell, it's you. ;)

village_idiot.gif

And what would you know about it, you bloody Walt? You paint yourself up in the colours of the people's champion but from what we can observe your sum total effort consist of waffle on the internet. I doubt you've shed a drop of sweat for your revolution let alone blood.

I swear, I'm going to reach through the internet and punch the next person to use this completely irrelevant and absurd argument.

LoF: I think its fairly obvious that I do things all the time. As usual I'm content to rely on the members who actually do more than spam this forum with propaganda. You on the other hand simply reel off academic theories and press cuttings.

EDIT: For the record I've been an investigative crime reporter, aid worker, historian and professional analyst. The reason I'm sitting on my arse now is because I cracked my sternum and busted my spine in two places during military training en route to Afghanistan. I'm having physical therapy so I can hopefully re-enlist. I've travelled to every continent except Russia and Australia on numerous times, and hung out with gangsters, soldiers, policemen, terrorists, farmers, dying old men, and cheery orphans. I've had people try to murder me at least three times that I know of. I've been invited to speak at a national and international level. I can also cook, and sing, and am a self-taught mathematician and naval salvage engineer.

Oblarg: Bring on the e-punching! o:) Seriously though, how is it it irrelevant to want to put someone in their place on a sensitive and personal point? Do you think LoF has ever done more than a piece of assigned homework on apartheid?

Edited by Walsingham

-Elwood Blues

Then please do tell of the many good deeds you have done for the revolution.
Yeah, no. I don't feel the need to brag to a bunch of brain dead counter revolutionaries.
EDIT: For the record I've been an investigative crime reporter, aid worker, historian and professional analyst. The reason I'm sitting on my arse now is because I cracked my sternum and busted my spine in two places during military training en route to Afghanistan. I'm having physical therapy so I can hopefully re-enlist. I've travelled to every continent except Russia and Australia on numerous times, and hung out with gangsters, soldiers, policemen, terrorists, farmers, dying old men, and cheery orphans. I've had people try to murder me at least three times that I know of. I've been invited to speak at a national and international level. I can also cook, and sing, and am a self-taught mathematician and naval salvage engineer.
Russia isn't a continent. Why don't you cut down your maniacal and ridiculous bragging until you can figure out what continents actually exist?
Seriously though, how is it it irrelevant to want to put someone in their place on a sensitive and personal point? Do you think LoF has ever done more than a piece of assigned homework on apartheid?
Why don't you write me a three-page essay (12 points Times New Roman double spaced) on why an ad hominem is an irrelevant attack in a discussion of literally anything except your opponent's character? How do you not know these things?