Obsidian is making Wheel of time game

cb.spike

They are developing it in the sense that they are committing resources to its production.

We have no real clue how many resource they are devoting to it. So the point I'm making is this could have a minimal impact on the games they are developing in studio. Again, it sounds like a consulting job, which can mean a lot of different things but probably is not a full development team.

Red Eagle was pretty clear they're only supervising, while most of the development team will be supplied by Obsidian, doesn't sound like consulting to me.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

They are developing it in the sense that they are committing resources to its production.

We have no real clue how many resource they are devoting to it. So the point I'm making is this could have a minimal impact on the games they are developing in studio. Again, it sounds like a consulting job, which can mean a lot of different things but probably is not a full development team.

Red Eagle was pretty clear they're only supervising, while most of the development team will be supplied by Obsidian, doesn't sound like consulting to me.

Granted it is not super clear, but Red Eagle is definitely not just supervising.

Agreed. Based on that press release it sounds like not only are they planning on handling all the major creative work themselves but are pretty protective of the fact that it is their game to develop, not someone else's.

The fact that this Larry Moondragon even posted a follow-up to clarify the issue seems to highlight that point especially.

Which I give them credit for. If the game turns out great, it will be a good reflection on them.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

They said their team will be small, implying Obsidian's team will be the larger one, thus Obsidian would do most of the work. That of course doesn't mean Obsidian will have creative control, but they're hardly a "consultant".

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Does it matter who gets the credit or blame in the end? Obsidian knows what they're signing up for and will get the money in either case. Looks like a win-win to me.

Also, there's a good possibility that Obsidian will get the credit if this does well, since they are actually somewhat known, while Red Eagle is totally unknown.

Edited by Purkake

"Does it matter who gets the credit or blame in the end? Obsidian knows what they're signing up for and will get the money in either case. Looks like a win-win to me"

Hasn't thread been all about gossping what role Obsdiian has or doesn't have in this game? So, yeah, it does matter. Afterall, we're all here on the Obsidian boards presumably because we like Obsidian as devs. The point is if you are expecting an obsidian style game from this don't unless someone come sout and says Obsidian are the ones actually making it.

"Also, there's a good possibility that Obsidian will get the credit if this does well, since they are actually somewhat known, while Red Eagle is totally unknown."

Agreed. In the same with that BIO has gotten credit for PST or BIS for BG. *shrug*

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

"Does it matter who gets the credit or blame in the end? Obsidian knows what they're signing up for and will get the money in either case. Looks like a win-win to me"

Hasn't thread been all about gossping what role Obsdiian has or doesn't have in this game? So, yeah, it does matter. Afterall, we're all here on the Obsidian boards presumably because we like Obsidian as devs. The point is if you are expecting an obsidian style game from this don't unless someone come sout and says Obsidian are the ones actually making it.

Taking credit/blame and what role they have in the development are two different things.

It would be nice if they had some creative control over the game, but even if they don't they will still get money that they can use for future projects.

It might matter to the people here, but in the greater scheme of things it's win-win for Obsidian.

Edited by Purkake

Looking around at the Red Eagle website, it's hard to not get a feeling of reassurance. These guys seem professional, yet definitely they have some semblance of good taste and style. The fact that Obsidian are not alone in this, but backed by EA and Red Eagle might not be so risky as it would seem.

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

They said their team will be small, implying Obsidian's team will be the larger one, thus Obsidian would do most of the work. That of course doesn't mean Obsidian will have creative control, but they're hardly a "consultant".

It's ok to be wrong, we all make mistakes sometimes. I originally read it as Obsidian was developing the title as well, but then I went back and looked at it again, and it is Red Eagle developing with a small in-house team.

considering the crazy multitudes of characters and plotlines in WoT, i assume they'll do a Knights of the Old Republic and have the game set in another time period ie Trolloc Wars or Artur Hawkwing

could be cool, could be epic fail

guess i'll wait to hear some more info about it :thumbsup:

when your mind works against you - fight back with substance abuse!

It's ok to be wrong, we all make mistakes sometimes. I originally read it as Obsidian was developing the title as well, but then I went back and looked at it again, and it is Red Eagle developing with a small in-house team.

The game is co-developed by Red Eagle's small in-house team (which is coordinating the whole thing, and in charge of the story etc.), and Obsidian's larger team, which will do the bulk of actual development, but still within the guidelines set by RE.

, but it's just another video fantasy game without anything in particular to recommend it unless you happen to be a fan of the WoT stuff.

So it's like The Witcher or Drakensang? Cheers for the heads up.

However the fact that WoT has no Elves or Dwarves is a big +++.

cylon_basestar_eye.gif

, but it's just another video fantasy game without anything in particular to recommend it unless you happen to be a fan of the WoT stuff.

So it's like The Witcher? Cheers for the heads up.

Your taste in games sucks :lol:

Your taste in games sucks :)

:lol:

But I guess your opinion of Drakensang is equally grim? The comment was also meant to remind people that just because it's a devs first try, doesn't mean it can't be good. While I disliked both of those games, they were those companies first games and many people enjoyed them.(Actually upon researching found out Radeon Labs released two games prior to Drakensang).

Edited by Bos_hybrid
cylon_basestar_eye.gif

Your taste in games sucks :)

:lol:

But I guess your opinion of Drakensang is equally grim? The comment was also meant to remind people that just because it's a devs first try, doesn't mean it can't be good. While I disliked both of those games, they were those companies first games and many people enjoyed them.(Actually upon researching found out Radeon Labs released two games prior to Drakensang).

Can't say anything about Drakensang, never played it. I have developed little dislike for RPG's from middle europe, the style push me away for some reason. I don't think the games are bad, I just tend to not like them personally.

But I have lots of trouble understanding why anyone would think Witcher as "just another fantasy game" People just look for different things I guess.

Drakensang is in some aspects an excellent game. Its got one of the best graphical designs ever seen in an RPG (better thought out and designed world than the much more expensive DA for example) and a very nice system to drive the game. Its extremely polished and functional as well.

However the plot was mind numbingly generic and so were the quests which is why I ultimately gave up on it.

I still rate it highly however, which is why I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel/prequel.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Drakensang is in some aspects an excellent game. Its got one of the best graphical designs ever seen in an RPG (better thought out and designed world than the much more expensive DA for example) and a very nice system to drive the game. Its extremely polished and functional as well.

However the plot was mind numbingly generic and so were the quests which is why I ultimately gave up on it.

I still rate it highly however, which is why I'm eagerly awaiting the sequel/prequel.

If you find Drakensang's plot & quests generic, I can't see how you'll be able to finish Dragon Age.

The prequel will focus more on story & party interactions according to Radon Labs. For one, there's full voice-over & the demo already contains more party interactions in the limited time that it lasts, than in the entire first game combined. It's basically the opposite of Venetica, which has abysmal performance but pretty good voice-over & story.

I think it's clear Radon Labs focused on creating a believable setting + a good, stable engine with their first RPG... and indeed it blows away DA at both accounts in my book. Ferdok is my favourite 3D RPG city after Vizima... it's great fun to simply run around & pickpocket everyone.

Judging from DA, I really think BioWare should outsource their level/area design to other developers... so they can concentrate on what they supposedly do best -> writing story, dialogue & character interactions.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

If you find Drakensang's plot & quests generic, I can't see how you'll be able to finish Dragon Age.

That's pushing it a bit. Drakensang has no characters to speak of and the plot has no depth at all.

That said I am having trouble continuing DA. I might even give up on it, which would make it the first Bio game I didn't finish.

When is the int version coming out?

Judging from DA, I really think BioWare should outsource their level/area design to other developers...

Yeah its all been pretty bland ever since the first NWN. They must have fired the people who designed the hand painted backgrounds for BG series.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

^Despite (or perhaps becuase of) their minimal development, I actually like the Drakensang party members a lot. Especially the three main party members (Forgrimm, Rhulana & Gladys). Having people around that didn't burden the player with their tortured pasts every five minutes, was actually refreshing. Except for the battlemage, though, who I suspect was a conscious parady of Carth Onasi, both in looks & his sad story about his wife.

When is the int version coming out?

No idea, but I wouldn't count on it to be internationally released in the coming 6 months.

'Twas the same story with Divinity 2, Venetica & the first Drakensang. That's why I always purchase the German version first anyway.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The prequel will focus more on story & party interactions according to Radon Labs. For one, there's full voice-over & the demo already contains more party interactions in the limited time that it lasts, than in the entire first game combined. It's basically the opposite of Venetica, which has abysmal performance but pretty good voice-over & story.

I think it's clear Radon Labs focused on creating a believable setting + a good, stable engine with their first RPG... and indeed it blows away DA at both accounts in my book. Ferdok is my favourite 3D RPG city after Vizima... it's great fun to simply run around & pickpocket everyone.

Judging from DA, I really think BioWare should outsource their level/area design to other developers... so they can concentrate on what they supposedly do best -> writing story, dialogue & character interactions.

You joking right?

Drakensang was so bland and boring I couldn't even finish the demo.

Oh and for a 3D game, Dragon Age has very beautiful areas. And yes, while I do like to criticize DA and Bioware, it's nonetheless the best fantasy RPG on the market.