Dragon Age: Tactics

How do the elf ones play out throughout the game?

I imagine Dalish Elf has something unique to offer in the Brecilian Forest. City Elf? Probably nothing major save the usual small repercussions once the PC returns to his/her origin.

My Elven mage might as well have been a human mage.

Anyone know where I can get the training for him?

Either through Loghain or by finishing the entire Redcliffe quest line the lawful good way.

There's a lot of elf hate here. Yeah, the DA elves are pretty pathetic. The Dalish should have been feral, revenge-driven psycho barbarians, that would have been more fun.

DA elves make even Peter Jackson's Lothlorien elves & Legolas seem like mighty berserkers.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

^ Aristes, you only unlock the Champion by completing the Arl Eamon quest cycle - i.e. Redcliffe Village / Castle / Urn of Sacred Ashes!

There's a lot of elf hate here. Yeah, the DA elves are pretty pathetic. The Dalish should have been feral, revenge-driven psycho barbarians, that would have been more fun.

I totally agree. Honest to goodness, it would have been something different at least. It just seems to me that writers and designers have this strange game where they're all trying to see how fast they can reduce dwarves and elves to their most pathetic state. I would much rather have had feral, revenge-driven psycho barbarians whose areas other civilized races fear and despise on par with the Blight. Then it would really be a feat for the PC to get them to join forces with the civilized nations. Not yet another *yawn* race in decline scenario, but pointy-eared, pretty faced zergs. Anything other than the scenario in the game. For some reason, I don't mind the dwarven scenario. That's actually pretty cool. Of course, this just balances out Bethesda, who hate the dwarves with the same intensity that Bio seems to hate the elves.

The dwarves aren't pathetic. They're just not the lawful good goodie two shoes they usually are.

I love the le4ves btw. Elves deserve to pathetic as they ALWAYS have been pathetic. To me, it is the best showing of elves ever as it is true to the spirit of elves - pansy crybabies whose arrogance makes them think they are better than they actually are.

Probably one of the reasons why the dwarves are like they are is because they are hardened by having to deal with the darkspawn mess while the surface dwellers conviently ignore the problem inbetween blights. I actually think the dwraves should have been a lot harsher with any surfacers - GW or not - who came down to them begging for their help.

Why should the dwarves care about the blight? Let some surfacers deal with the problem as the dwarves know that as soon as the archdemon is dead the darkspawn will turn their attention back to them and the surfacers will blissfully go unawares for a nother 100+ years.

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

da elves were poop

da dwarves were pretty cool.

i am REALLY TIRED OF ELVES AND DWARVES

i want more planescape games.

dark sun would be cool too.

or something different, but cool, not different and lame

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Things would have been much more interesting if the Dalish would actually be in a guerrilla war with the humans, instead of just trekking around doing nothing (save singing songs) as if the new Elven homeland would suddenly come falling from the sky. And if they didn't wear that ridiculous looking armour, maybe somebody would start taking them serious.

The Witcher did it right with the Scoia'tael who were basically the frenzied berserkers that didn't take prisoners.

Yep, the elves as a race of bitter, not-very-nice terrorists who have decided on a nihilistic existence of vengeance and spite.

Instead we get the usual poetry and camping. Yawn.

The dwarves should have been even nastier, I want to play one but someone said as a noble dwarf you get airbrushed out of the Orzammar scenario. WTF? It's your brother.

sonsofgygax.JPG

You do get recognized. You most cetrianly don't get airbrushed. Sure, more could have been done with it, but that's true about everything. Heck, you cna even end up as SPOILER.

"Your input as a scion of the family / recognition is diminshed oon the pretext that you were banished."

This too. You are nothing to the dwarves. You only are allowed into Orzammar because of the GW. Otherwise, you are lower than a piece of crap. Really, that simple.

"i am REALLY TIRED OF ELVES AND DWARVES"

Dwarves are awesome.

"i want more planescape games."

Both these races exist in Planescape.

"dark sun would be cool too."

Youa re sick, and tired of elves and dwarves yet you keep mentioning settings that have them. As suggsted, elves and dwarves exist in DS.

"or something different, but cool, not different and lame"

Why do you keep buying fantasy games with elves and dwarves if you think they're lame. It's illogical.

"Things would have been much more interesting if the Dalish would actually be in a guerrilla war with the humans, instead of just trekking around doing nothing (save singing songs) as if the new Elven homeland would suddenly come falling from the sky."

Nah, that's boring. The Dalish were perfect being pathetic. I wouldn't want them any other way. Heck, the City Elves have more backbone. L0L And, they are supposedly 'weak willed'.

Edited by Volourn

Your input as a scion of the family / recognition is diminished on the pretext that you were banished.
Maybe there could've been something more to the origin story in that regard, but I didn't find it airbrushed.

Then again, I was bought at the second dialogue. "Gorim, ask her why she's here?" Sky high arrogance = platinum comedy. ;)

DA > TW

TW is plain crap. It has crap writing, story, characters, atmosphere, combat, music, sound, quests, it's a shallow as a piece of poo.

How dare you pollute an awesome DA trhead with a game so crappy it is EPIC SOZZY much ES games, SOZ, POR2, and DTU.

Horirble, horirble.

TW is just plain, old fahsion crap. It's also a rip off of D&D. *yawn* TW is D&D lite.

Edited by Volourn

Of course, this just balances out Bethesda, who hate the dwarves with the same intensity that Bio seems to hate the elves.

am risking being called sexist by contributing.

*sigh*

women likes elves. don't ask Gromnir why, but when there were the Ladies of Neverwinter site running it were interesting to hear women likes and dislikes 'bout the romances and character choices in bio games. Carth were considerable influenced by feedback from the regulars at Ladies of Neverwinter... so said Gaider. regardless, women like elves. there doesn't needs be a good reason, but apparently the effete tree-huger shtick really appeals to the ladies. also, women likes suffering. no, is not that women is masochists, but women does like their hero types to have a Tragic past. da elves is recognizable as elves, so for folks who wanted to play elves da elves has appeal o' tradition. also, the da elves is victims, and that kinda woe seems to score points with women. maybe bio screwed up the execution, but we don't believe that they hate elves (not near as much as does Gromnir) and am pretty sure they were trying to make elves appeal to those people who already seeming likes elves.

also, am thinking that the elf parallels to numerous native american/indian peoples is too obvious to overlook. perhaps it were bad to draw on real world examples, but we can see how the biowarians could end up with their elves if they looked to the history of dispossessed peoples.

*shrug*

if it makes you feel better, play the dahlish origin... before completing origin you can strip your female companion down to her unmentionables and end up with a mage robe that is arguably better than any mage garment we found (not purchased) until much later in game. +1 mana regen in combat, +4 spellpower, and +4% mr ain't bad for early in game, no?

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

if it makes you feel better, play the dahlish origin... before completing origin you can strip your female companion down to her unmentionables and end up with a mage robe that is arguably better than any mage garment we found (not purchased) until much later in game. +1 mana regen in combat, +4 spellpower, and +4% mr ain't bad for early in game, no?

Very good idea, I should have thought about that.

Would make the 'dramatic' ending cutscene of the origin comic gold too.

Very good idea, I should have thought about that.

Would make the 'dramatic' ending cutscene of the origin comic gold too.

I haven't played that one, but I doubt it would be as good as introducing some nudity into the Mage origin.

1. Enoch thanks for linking to what is an extremely amusing thread.

2. Grom, interesting and it depends on where you come from but from my cultural POV I thought Dalish = Balkan disposessed. Mournful and sort of stoic... I didn't think Native American because they fought their own badass wars and stuck it to The Man a bit more. But I can easily see why North Americans see it that way.

3. Have spent the last 3/4 hour doing the Dwarf Noble origin with my new 2H warrior. It's very impressive as an opening to a game for setting the scene... and odd as a level one no-mark being grovelled to, having groupies hurl themselves at you and ordering people assassinated. Makes what happens later even more bitter and ironic. Kudos to Bioware for putting it in. 'Tis the best origin, bar none.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

2. Grom, interesting and it depends on where you come from but from my cultural POV I thought Dalish = Balkan disposessed. Mournful and sort of stoic... I didn't think Native American because they fought their own badass wars and stuck it to The Man a bit more. But I can easily see why North Americans see it that way.

well, that is kinda the point, no? the dahlish were once proud people and fought battles with the humans. the elves lost. they lost the battle. they lost the war. they lost their land, and they eventual lost their culture. am recalling that fort edmonton were destroyed by indigenous peoples in the early 1800s. our understanding is that relations between the indigenous peoples and those of euro descent has improved only slightly since that time. no doubt the biowarians is not having to look very far for source material.

HA! Good Fun!

ps please don't take Gromnir's comments as some kinda approval o' the bioware approach. regardless of where the biowarians drew inspiration, Gromnir dislikes traditional elves on principle, and bio's da approach didn't make us feel any additional appreciation for the tree-humpers. sarel Did strike a chord with us (in a bad way) as he were extreme familiar, but am not a big fan o' how the biowarians chose to depict their elves. even so, we can see how a bunch o' kanadians in edmonton, trying to pander to elf-lovers & be different from tolkien at same time, could end up with da elves.

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Of course, this just balances out Bethesda, who hate the dwarves with the same intensity that Bio seems to hate the elves.

am risking being called sexist by contributing.

*sigh*

women likes elves. don't ask Gromnir why, but when there were the Ladies of Neverwinter site running it were interesting to hear women likes and dislikes 'bout the romances and character choices in bio games. Carth were considerable influenced by feedback from the regulars at Ladies of Neverwinter... so said Gaider. regardless, women like elves. there doesn't needs be a good reason, but apparently the effete tree-huger shtick really appeals to the ladies. also, women likes suffering. no, is not that women is masochists, but women does like their hero types to have a Tragic past. da elves is recognizable as elves, so for folks who wanted to play elves da elves has appeal o' tradition. also, the da elves is victims, and that kinda woe seems to score points with women. maybe bio screwed up the execution, but we don't believe that they hate elves (not near as much as does Gromnir) and am pretty sure they were trying to make elves appeal to those people who already seeming likes elves.

True. Most women gamers I know love elves. I know I do! My love of elves started with stoic, tragic Kivan. Seriously. I'd never really thought much about elves before. BG was my first introduction to the D&D universe. Then again I like Carth too. And Kaidan. And Alistair! ;) Zevran, not so much. He's elfy enough; he's just a lecherous, untrustworthy cad. lol

also, am thinking that the elf parallels to numerous native american/indian peoples is too obvious to overlook. perhaps it were bad to draw on real world examples, but we can see how the biowarians could end up with their elves if they looked to the history of dispossessed peoples.

*shrug*

I haven't played the Dalish origin yet, but out of curiosity I played the City Elf origin last night, and the parallels to native Americans was undeniably obvious. I really liked the origin, the emotional impact of it, the raw horror and stark injustice. Sure gave me a new perspective of the society in which my human noble rogue was so comfortable.

I don't share your dislike of the way Bio treats elves, obviously, but I am a little put-off by the stereotypical dwarf... low-class, hard-drinking, belching, dirty-beard, scottish accent, etc. Oghren fit it to a T. At least they got rid of the scottish accents, and I haven't played either dwarf origin to see if they went deeper into dwarven culture. I just got Oghren for the first time, he opened his vulgar little mouth, and I cringed. I'll check out the dwarf origins later on. I hope they will be as good as the ones I've done thus far, all of which have had emotional impact in some way. (Most women love emotional impact. Seriously. We do.)

To be frank, the worst part of the game for me was the origins in the later chapters. I know that it would have been a lot more work but I would have liked to see your race and origin affecting the story more. (For example: Being the dwarf noble, I would have liked to see a different Orzammar questline, maybe involving some 3rd party that wants you on the throne as a puppet and so on.) Sure I understand that they had to make most of the game go through 1 main line but more variations would have been a lot better. As it stands now, the origin&race aspect is a bit wasted in the game.

Also the elves.... The dwarfs were cliche yes but they were different from the usual cookie cutters and were belivable. And their part of the game was good (repetitive anm grindy but not too bad) On the other hand, elf parts of the game were just not good enough. Where is the part, when the clans gather and you try to get them to help you? Where were the bigot humans that tried to lord over you every other sentence (when playing an elf)? Where was the feral, chaotic and deadly part of the Dalish society? Where were the guerilla fights agains Loghains (and/or Hove's) men? The elven parts of the game felt sub par.

IG. We kick ass and not even take names.

Thanks, guys, I ran back to Redcliffe only to realize that I had had the option without realizing it. Alistair is a damned good tank now. Those Templar abilities come in right handy sometimes, especially against rabid spell casters. Still, even against the rank and file they're good.

I'm looking forward to my rogue run. I usually don't go in for warriors, but it seems to me that they have enough of a talent spread to be interesting. We shall see.

" I just got Oghren for the first time, he opened his vulgar little mouth, and I cringed. "

Ogrhen is not your typical DA dwarf.

"The dwarfs were cliche"

No, theyw eren't.. unless you mean somehting else entirely as they sure weren't your stereotypical fantasy dwarf. They certainly weren't honourable, and outside of Ogrhen they the society didn't come across as loving their booze. As for 'scottish accents'.. Bah. That's soemthing that started with silly video games, and I'm glad it got crushed.

Elven parts were perfect. they were wussies. And, that's the true elf way. The dwraves were bastards. But, they were magnificant bastars. except for Oghren who was absolutely pathetic in so many ways.