Dragon age discussion

Gorth

You probably could have warriors and rogues merged into one, but perhaps there was concerns about TOO much options being available, to the point where many users feel overwhelmed about where they spend their points?
Guess what my reaction to the mage spell list was. >_<

^ Hey, as I said this is the first CRPG ever where I will definitely play a mage and love it. The magic system / spells are great, can't wait for an XP that adds more.

It doesn't change the massive imbalance in the classes - what exactly are the downsides of being a mage? The consequences in-game don't seem very obvious.

sonsofgygax.JPG

Just as a heads up, I strongly recommend you do NOT download the toolset, and certainly don't mess around with it, at this time.

We're working on a patch, but people have had issues with it breaking their single player games (due to the core overrides folder being used for everything), as well as some issues for people still using XP32 SP2 (which isn't officially supported).

Just as a heads up, I strongly recommend you do NOT download the toolset, and certainly don't mess around with it, at this time.

We're working on a patch, but people have had issues with it breaking their single player games (due to the core overrides folder being used for everything),

That's because they exported files from Single player module not the custom one. The solution is just deleting the folder. It's not like anything important is in there ... yet. Or so i was told :lol: .

1.13 killed off Ja2.

Actually that's not quite the issue. There's also the core override folder, which 99% of the stuff exported will have dependency with. Most people aren't aware of the packages\core folder, and it is always used regardless of what module you are in. So even if you just export stuff in a custom module, you'll still get issues with the single player game.

I think it makes sense that mages are insanely powerful. The can blow stuff up with their minds!

And that is why there are Templars.

Blood Mages, though, are something else.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

You probably could have warriors and rogues merged into one, but perhaps there was concerns about TOO much options being available, to the point where many users feel overwhelmed about where they spend their points?
Guess what my reaction to the mage spell list was. :lol:

overwhelmed players with too many choices?

HA!

the thiefy talents coulda been opened up to both warriors and mages... and the combat stuff coulda' been provided to warrior. "overwhelmed" players is almost as ridiculous as making combat tactics slots a freaking skill. rogues exist 'cause the warrior/rogue/mage breakdown is traditional, familiar and expected, but folks trying to rationalize some other way is looking foolish.

btw, no classes would be fine... just has skill trees and attribute points. problem is that bio went with classes. 2 classes maybe seemed like too few... am recalling when people were suggesting classes and alternative labels for rogue. were silly. skill-user, ranger, bard... were all alternatives mentioned. so bio takes all that crap and dumps into the leftover class.

again, Gromnir ain't saying that rogue is weak or unplayable, but it is unnecessary... is bloat. create a third class just 'cause you had too many skills/talents for 2 classes? is not a genuine suggestion, is it?

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Well i don't remember encountering any issue ... yet. But i am playing only with custom item creation and 1 script for the module.

And Does Dual Wield Mastery work properly? It does allow to wield 2 longs words but no stamina effect, the drain for all DW talents is still the same.

1.13 killed off Ja2.

And Does Dual Wield Mastery work properly? It does allow to wield 2 longs words but no stamina effect, the drain for all DW talents is still the same.
There is a fatigue reduction when you equip two weapons. As for the skills costing less, dunno, it seemed like they did for me.

I always found the Elder Scrolls virtually unplayable, but the character generation was really good - don't like the existing 'Classes' then make up some skills and name your own. I had one called "IT Manager" but I never took the series too seriously.

sonsofgygax.JPG

quick question:

how much difference did origins make in your play through?

have played human noble, and am noticing very few places where alternative options is available past the origin portion. however, having played through the complete dwarf noble section, and a few minutes o' the dwarf commoner origins, am seeing potential places in dwarfy portion o' game where you could get unique options. so, for those o' you who played stuff other than human, did the origins alter your game significant past the origin portion? bio made big claims 'bout origins feature and impact on game as whole, and while game has been very fun indeed, am not personally seeing origins impact in our game.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I played as a City Elf, and there are a few things that seems to be unique to that Origin. Most of it is just small touches though, but there were some things I thought were nice. A thing in the ending cutscene was especially nice.

I admit I wished for bigger actual consequences to my Origin choice, but I think Bioware did a really good job in recognizing my characters race and making the campaign still feel pretty natural given the huge scope of the game.

Listen to my home-made recordings (some original songs, some not): http://www.youtube.c...low=grid&view=0

A thing in the ending cutscene was especially nice.

end of game is the absolute easiest place for developers to add such stuff, 'cause there is no bifurcation or consequences beyond that point. Gromnir enjoyed the ToB epilogues and the end options for ps:t, but such stuff is hardly new, and at least from a design pov, is not particularly impressive. however, if the execution were good, that counts at 'least as much as does innovation. is nice to hear that end is satisfying.

"As a dwarf commoner, I had a ton of dialogue choices based on my race. "

dialogue options not actual = change in consequences. mass effect dialogue wheel should have taught people that lesson. as a dwarf commoner there is an obvious portion o' game where results potentially could be changed. am wondering how significant those changes were. have an occasional reference made to facial tattoos or such stuff is... nice. however, that doesn't sound like what bio were suggesting.

HA! Good Fun!

Edited by Gromnir

fallout 3's endung sucked so bad it made me want to puke.

i restarted the game immediately to wash the bad taste out of my brain (the first 10 hours of the game were the best)

so i too am glad to hear DA has a decent ending

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, as Human Noble you're able to

become King of Ferelden

which is completely unavailable to every other race. Most of the changes are fairly cosmetic and in dialogues I find. I'd contend that a lot of it is "fluff," but interesting fluff that goes with small details that can add to a solid game experience.

Though the Human Noble suffers from having the starting area and family wiped out to start the game, whereas dwarves get to revisit their origin area. I imagine the Dwarf Noble could have a lot of differences in Orzammar, but I have not played through it that far. I am considering it for my first homegrown playthrough.

I...I have a confession to make. When I was in Orzammar, fighting in the arena, the time came for a two on two. Being drunk on victory, I declined to share the glory with my loyal dog and fought the team alone.

I am ungrateful.

I am trash.

*cries*

I guess the Human Noble origin will lead to some "revenge" shtick near the end of the game with that Arl Howe dude? That could be interesting.

Other than Bann Teagan hitting on my female Human Noble, I haven't really noticed anything unique.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

The Mage origin has some nice connections, both with the (obvious) Mage's Circle quest, and (more surprisingly) with the Redcliff quest. But since Mage is the only class that is exclusive to one Origin, it's probably less typical than most.

Yeah, I was thinking that my human noble wasn't getting due deference from the mud-smeared scumbag commoners.

OTOH, yeah, I can't wait to start again with my shaven-headed dwarf gangsta in Orzammar.

Oh, and a dialogue option or two different does not a difference make - I want to see a genuinely different outcome in the quest based on the origin. This was a big boast during development, ain't seeing equitable return on it so far.

sonsofgygax.JPG

OK, I'm in the Brescilian Forest. There's no spoilers here, by the way.

That's a Dalish Elf quest - as a Dalish elf I want a way to resolve that quest, either by a unique method of negotiation or by a slightly different battle (that might give me a new ally or make the end battle play out more in my favour). Furthermore, only that origin unlocks that quest route. Or maybe two, you might give a mage something in the forests that influences the outcome or the city elf.

I'm not saying it has to be spectacularly different, but it adds flavour and granularity to the game.

sonsofgygax.JPG