Dragon Age Tactics

Monte Carlo

I agree with Gromnir's assessment of 2H warriors. I took on the Revenant in the Broken Circle and did very consistent damage to him, and good damage all around. I imagine this could go up by quite a bit with Two Handed Sweep as I don't really have any AOE. This was with a PC 2H warrior with pure strength and will power dumps for level ups. I certainly wouldn't tank with my character, though I imagine indomitable combined with more constitution could make a 2H warrior a passable tank.

None of the mechanics being that transparent as a new player I found rogues to have the most early game pitfalls in builds. You have to go more out of your way to have an ineffective warrior or mage in the early game even if spells or mechanics are hazy at first.

Later on rogues catch up and perhaps bypass warriors as a player option particularly with the influence of the NPC field. Warriors are a dime a dozen. Leilani is a lockpicking archer bard. Zevran requires enough micro to really maximise his damage that you may aswell play your own rogue.

All deception is self deception all hypnosis is auto-hypnosis

"(Except for the first revenant I fought, at redcliffe, which I was somewhat underleveled for)"

you might not have felt undeleveled... if you were playing a 2h warrior.

and yeah, compare pc to sten is not the best measure. also makes it tough with lack o' transparency o' rules. feels like 3:1 for dw v. 2h... feels like you is doing more damage. lord only knows what is reality. regardless, dr/armour is gonna impact the dw warrior significant more than the 2h. though your dw will be superior 'gainst light armed mobs.

equipment does factor into the equation later in game. obvious difference: a dw warrior/rogue will have two weapons equipped and both weapons may have 3 enchantments.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Didn't do it when I tested that effect.

it doesn't heal injuries of the caster... which seems more than passing odd. is similar to the templar's aura which don't remove adverse magical effects on the templar using the aura.

Actually Leliana was the injured one.

" the metric to determine the 'difficulty slider' on a game shouldn't be which class you choose - at the moment it's EASY (Mage) NORMAL (Warrior) and HARD (Rogue)."

In a party base dgame where you cna have npcs with classes you didn't, PC choice doesn't matter as much. PC is a rogue, grab a warrior and mage. PC a mage, grab a warrior and rogue? PC is a warrior, grab a rogue and mage. PC might have a slight edge and alrgely because I'm sure most players (myself included) our selfish and tend to give our PCs the best equipment available. Heh. <>

DWARVES IN PROJECT ETERNITY = VOLOURN HAS PLEDGED $250.

it doesn't heal injuries of the caster... which seems more than passing odd. is similar to the templar's aura which don't remove adverse magical effects on the templar using the aura.

I read somewhere that it only heals injured partymembers that are closest to the caster.

I read somewhere that it only heals injured partymembers that are closest to the caster.

dunno. never had a problem getting anybody other than wynne healed... the french girl included. am thinking that the only jnpc that we didn't heal in this fashion were the dog. dog were rare in our party, but even when he were he rare took the 10-count. tough dog.

anybody know if the templar and spirit healer auras is 'posed to be ineffectual regarding the caster? could be a balance thing, butt it seems counter-intuitive.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I'm planning a mage on Nightmare for my third playthrough, taking along Leliana as archer just to try it out. Full respec'ing. Any recommendations on the kind of build I should go for and the party members I should take? From my experiments I'm thinking Cone of Cold, Force Field and Crushing Prison to disable enemies, Arcane Warrior & Spirit Healer for long term durability and usability, maybe throw in... Hexes? Sleep/Walking Nightmare?

I just didn't like how my allies would then go and hit half the sleeping fellows and rouse them. Using Hold for anything more than specific situations is a no-no because they won't fight enemies even when the enemies are close enough to hit THEM in melee, either. I guess I need to do more work with the tactics.

"Using Hold for anything more than specific situations is a no-no because they won't fight enemies even when the enemies are close enough to hit THEM in melee, either. "

Odd my guys will attack anything that attacks them even when in the 'hold position' espiically if in melee.

Odd my guys will attack anything that attacks them even when in the 'hold position' espiically if in melee.

I wish mine did, they're pretty sluggish about it. I do think sleep/WN would be awesome for a mage solo game.

I take Grom's point about the (albeit less than transparent) game mechanics, but the fact remains that my DW warrior really is Captain Destructo - I just queue up more damage dealing abilities than the shield guy or 2H weapon guy. Mages especially feel the pain - dual weapon sweep, riposte and punisher kill them before they get their second spell off by the time I've charged across the room (yes, in massive armour). DW sweep even damages / finishes off any of their nearby compadres.

I'm only level 11 at the moment, will continue to report how the tough boss battles pan out but if folks haven't tried the build I can recommend it heartily.

sonsofgygax.JPG

"There's a bit more to it than that. Bonus stat points in the Fade, the stat book which comes with CE (I think), PC built from ground up etc."

Also, the PC seems to get free stat points/skills/tralents during certain parts of the game. One of them being when you become a Grey Warden.

Mages especially feel the pain - dual weapon sweep, riposte and punisher kill them before they get their second spell off by the time I've charged across the room (yes, in massive armour). DW sweep even damages / finishes off any of their nearby compadres.

Enemy mage AI is retarded. Most threatening thing they do is throwing a Fireball when their own allies are attacking your party... and occasionally an Emissary will use Crushing prison or Curse of mortality, which is easily dispelled by Cleanse Area.

But considering how overpowered mages are, it's maybe for the best. A lone mage with decent AI would easily tear apart any party... and it's no coincidence enemy mages don't use mana clash either.

The only decent mage I've encountered is Mr Teleport in the Elven Ruins. At least he would use Paralyze when you'd try to bull-rush him.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Am wondering - why doesn't my much-vaunted "Detect Darkspawn" ability work? It's meant to be my special GW trick yet it hasn't worked once.
Occasionally when your PC spots an enemy, s/he says "Warden sense tingling!".

Yes.

Am wondering - why doesn't my much-vaunted "Detect Darkspawn" ability work? It's meant to be my special GW trick yet it hasn't worked once.

Yes.

Don't you need a certain rank in Survival for that?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Yes.

Don't you need a certain rank in Survival for that?

Nope.

"(Except for the first revenant I fought, at redcliffe, which I was somewhat underleveled for)"

you might not have felt undeleveled... if you were playing a 2h warrior.

Oh, I would have. Partly because the problem wasn't the damage output, but the survivability. True, with more damage I would have survived longer, so maybe I would have shaved an attempt or two off, but it would still have been very difficult.

And the biggest problem wasn't the revenant himself, but the 10 skeletons he brought with him. I had a hard time clearing them out fast enough, and a 2-hander wouldn't have helped a lot there. What would have helped is Shale and Wynne. As it was, Sten was certainly the weakest link in that battle, and Alistair had some serious problem tanking.

So maybe a 2-hander is better against a single heavily armored enemy. But that is typically not the type of foes I have problems with, it's when I get overwhelmed.

Keep in mind I'm playing on Nightmare, that could change what kind of strategies you need to use. The mobs deal more damage, so maybe crowd control is more important?