Business Models for PC RPGs

EdwinP

"Take TOEE (Temple of Elemental Evil) for example, here you had a game with the best turn D&D based tactical combat engine of the time. There were no expansions or add-ons (other than the free and idependently developed Keep on the Borderlands by CO8.oRG). The game died, and they did not maximize its potential income."

am not sure what the above has to do with dragon age. toee were 'posed to be a quick and cheap development... were plans for multiple d&d modules using same engine.unfortunately, troika missed deadlines and ruined whatever relationship they mighta' had with atari. once it becomes apparent to atari that there ain't gonna be no sequels with troika, they got a choice 'tween shipping a half-baked product before end of fiscal quarter, or missing quarter and trying to work with an antagonistic developer to fix toee 'fore release. toee didn't have to be a big seller to make atari money as it were envisioned as a quick and relative cheap development, but toee were a failure before it ever were shipped.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I measure a game to be good or not if I had fun playing it. I had fun playing Oblivion and Fallout 3. I didn't have fun playing Arcanum and ToEE. For me, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are good games. Arcanum and ToEE... Not so much.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I measure a game to be good or not if I had fun playing it. I had fun playing Oblivion and Fallout 3. I didn't have fun playing Arcanum and ToEE. For me, Oblivion and Fallout 3 are good games. Arcanum and ToEE... Not so much.

development and publishing games is a business endeavor. if developer and publisher ain't making money, then they will not be making additional games. heck, Gromnir liked ps:t, but its economic failure guaranteed that there would be no sequel or similar game from bis or any other developer. on the other hand, as much as diablo ii bored Gromnir, it were immense popular and developers is still making clones.

sales is much more relevant to future game development than is the personal taste o' an individual gamer.

HA! Good Fun!

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

I liked ToEE but not Arcanum. Maybe sometime I'll give Arcanum a second try since presumably its bugs should have been cleared up and balance fixed by the community now.

As for metacritic, it's a fine tool to get an idea of how a game is received by critics, but issues arise once publishers begin to use metacritic to determine how much bonus should in-house developers get or make certain payment condition on a high metacritic when dealing with an external developer.

I remember reading a blog post studying the correlation between metacritic scores and game sales and the conclusion was games with low metacritic scores almost never sell well but game with high score may flop in sales. Pretty much common sense.

Edited by Masterfade

Do you have a source for these sales numbers?

VGchartz.

So that's where people get these sales statistics from. :thumbsup:

Edit: The site's statistics seem to be slightly... off. It lists NWN2, MotB, SoZ, NWN, HotU and SoU as all having sold 0.00m copies...

Edited by Darth InSidious

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I liked ToEE but not Arcanum. Maybe sometime I'll give Arcanum a second try since presumably its bugs should have been cleared up and balance fixed by the community now.

I'd say don't bother. I replayed Arcanum last month and it was even worse then I remembered. I used those unoffical patches but performance nor worst bugs didn't change much for the better compared to vanilla version. I was amazed how badly game still runs, on modern computer that's many times more powerful then computer I had back in 2001. Game is total rubbish nowadays. Design choices, combat system, graphics and UI have all aged very badly (if they ever were good in first place). And I say this as a Troika games fan. I don't know what I was thinking for defending Arcanum back when it was released. I do like the magic / technology dualism and steampunk but certainly not enough to forgive all the technical and design issues.

Let's play Alpha Protocol

My misadventures on youtube.

I replayed Arcanum a few months back and had a blast. I had never finished it originally, but I found myself really into the game and finished it this time around. I used the recent patches and one that let me set a higher resolution. It wasn't buggy, just a couple crashes.

Arcanum is fab. Its buggy and has some balance issues as far as tech vs magick and melee vs ranged. Not so good animations. But overall its a very solid crpg. There aren't many better actually.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.