MW2 cotroversy (spoilers)

Yeah, it's UNTHINKABLE that in this day and age, societies still have taboos!

Are you saying that things should be banned because they break those, so called, "taboos"? If so, I disagree with you.

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Well, this controversy is actually making me want to play my copy of MW1. I am still wondering why I got it. Haven't even loaded it up since I got it months ago till now.

It's a worthwhile experience. The SP is short but good and the MP community is active.

I just got done playing the game for 40 minutes and holy craptistic on a stick is it intensive. In the middle of the third mission. It is kicking my butt big time.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I don't rate call of duty's single player, it's literally about as linear as a game could be.

I came up with Crate 3.0 technology. 

Crate 4.0 - we shall just have to wait and see.

Down and out on the Solomani Rim
Now the Spinward Marches don't look so GRIM!

I just got done playing the game for 40 minutes and holy craptistic on a stick is it intensive. In the middle of the third mission. It is kicking my butt big time.

Whatever you do, don't try to go it on veteran unless you have something to prove. I thought "yeah, I'm good at FPS," and then veteran difficulty crushed me. There were a few parts that I had to retry dozens of times.

On any difficulty, the sheer number of enemies is pretty hard to keep up with attention-wise.

To be honest, this is nothing compared to Dante's Inferno and it's slaughtering of babies. There's even an achievement for it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Whatever you do, don't try to go it on veteran unless you have something to prove. I thought "yeah, I'm good at FPS," and then veteran difficulty crushed me. There were a few parts that I had to retry dozens of times.

On any difficulty, the sheer number of enemies is pretty hard to keep up with attention-wise.

The game recommended "Regular" to me but I took "Recruit."

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

I don't rate call of duty's single player, it's literally about as linear as a game could be.

Well, yeah. Its a FPS.

Yeah, but COD is linear to the point of smiting you when you step off the designed path, it's basically an on rails shooter.

Point being its MORE linear, than other shooters. COD's all about the MP anyways.

Edited by Nightshape

When I was a kid I used to enjoy gunning down the pram pushing mothers in Syndicate...good times.

Indeed!

Though that's just reminded me of a mental oddity, I stopped playing Syndicate after my granddad died, I was playing it a lot the day afterwards and every time since it just reminded me of being miserable.

So the emotion of one real life death easily trumped the hundreds of innocent people I gauss gunned into the pavement of a game, hmm :shrugz:

Still I don't know how I feel about this game without knowing more about the context, I'm generally suspicious of the **** YEAH!! type games where giving hand relief to anyone in a uniform gets you an achievement.

Peace.

It is, but as far as I'm concerned non-linearity is not really correlated with fun.

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoyed the original COD and MOH games before they started overusing the setting, linearity isn't a problem at all if the game is fun.

The thing I love about the COD games is the setting. The first COD is the first game I can remember where I actually caught myself ducking in front of my monitor when I was taking cover in the game. The sound in particular I thought was really impressive, but it was just such an intense experience.

To be honest, this is nothing compared to Dante's Inferno and it's slaughtering of babies. There's even an achievement for it.

PA had a pretty good strip on it, but I'll just link it because it contained bad language. *grumble* forum rules *grumble*. But yeah, those are evil babies, not your normal run-of-the-mill babies.

As for MW, it was a pretty fun compact experience. The Chernobyl level was awesome, except for the sucktastic end sequence. The whole infinitely respawning thing was really annoying, though. Also, the plane and nuke things didn't do anything for me.

Edited by Purkake

PA had a pretty good strip on it, but I'll just link it because it contained bad language. *grumble* forum rules *grumble*. But yeah, those are evil babies, not your normal run-of-the-mill babies.

As for MW, it was a pretty fun compact experience. The Chernobyl level was awesome, except for the sucktastic end sequence. The whole infinitely respawning thing was really annoying, though. Also, the plane and nuke things didn't do anything for me.

You're still chopping babies in half. Oh sure, they're demonic, but they're still babies.

I just don't feel like playing a game that forces me to murder innocent civilians (although not real) to move on with the story.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

I just don't feel like playing a game that forces me to murder innocent civilians (although not real) to move on with the story.

Your loss :shrugz:

carmageddon24.jpg

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

You're still chopping babies in half. Oh sure, they're demonic, but they're still babies.

I was kind of kidding about the baby thing. I did chop babies up in Dead Space, though or does that not count because they were evil mutant babies?

They sure as hell didn't look like babies anymore. They were more like zombie bulbasaurs.

Your loss

I doubt whatever game your picture is from is anywhere near as "serious" as Modern Warfare 2. :shrugz:

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

Of course. Not to mention the game's pretty realistic compared to that cartoony 90's game Gorth quoted.

Not to mention the game's pretty realistic compared to that cartoony 90's game Gorth quoted.

So how long until MW2 becomes cartoon violence, as it seems GTA has become (by the article. Because the latest form of media entertainment is always starting talks about a "realistic portrayal of events that actually happened" in the eyes of the media and the status quo.

Once upon a time Death Race was the big target for its horrific violence and simulation of running people down in the game, Carmageddon style.

Edited by Deadly_Nightshade

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Of course. Not to mention the game's pretty realistic compared to that cartoony 90's game Gorth quoted.

GTA used to be ostracized for its realistic depictions, but now according to the link in the first post, it's now considered cartoonish. Do you feel that MW2 will always remain a "serious and realistic" depiction of the situation?

I can't say, maybe not in the next few years, but I'd have to guess that yes, it will remain serious and realistic. In any case it's serious and realistic right now and will definitely be on release.

The point is, I'd feel bad playing that level.