MW2 cotroversy (spoilers)

Modern Warfare 2 is a fantasy action game designed for intense, realistic game play that mirrors real life conflicts, much like epic, action movies. It is appropriately rated 18 for violent scenes, which means it is intended for those who are 18 and older.

:lol: Wow, I cant believe they're going with an AO rating.

Nice catch. It's not rated AO though, it's rated M in ESRB land.

Either Ativision mispoke or they were thinking about rating systems outside the U.S.

Oh you people, one day you're all against censorship and now killing a few innocent people is unacceptable? Haven't you mowed down whole villages in the various Fallouts? Released a demon upon a particularly annoying town in Baldur's Gate? The concept is exactly the same.

Oh you people, one day you're all against censorship and now killing a few innocent people is unacceptable? Haven't you mowed down whole villages in the various Fallouts? Released a demon upon a particularly annoying town in Baldur's Gate? The concept is exactly the same.
Fantasy/abstraction vs realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

No, the concept is completely different. The only similarity is that you have innocent fictional characters dying by the player's actions. This has nothing to do with censorship either - works that promote, for example, holocaust denial needn't be banned, but they are generally frowned upon all the same.

The concern here is that the game may be understood as an apology of terrorism. And depending on how the game deals with it, it could easily be interpreted that way. It's the verosimilitude to recent events that makes this controversy possible at all.

I don't agree with folks up in arms over this, but I understand where they are coming from. Personally, I think it's a good thing that devs dare do things like this every now and then. It's a step in the right direction towards games becoming a more serious medium.

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

...realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting.

Again, where are you getting that information? The game is a work of fiction. Also, are you against the "Black Hawk Down" games? If not, why? They are much more of a "realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting" than Modern Warfare 2. :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

Fantasy/abstraction vs realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting.

The things you do remain the same and it's still a video game.

Shooting some innocent civilian's head off in Fallout 3 is somehow more abstract than doing it in MW2?

Good job with Godwin's law, 213374U.

Edited by Purkake

Death is death, video game is not real life, and virtual death is not death.

Shooting some innocent civilian's head off in Fallout 3 is somehow more abstract than doing it in MW2?
The context is different, and the context is everything. FO3 has no relation to present or past events, and the game doesn't focus on murdering civilians so it cannot be attacked as anything but random violence. The segment in MW2 is about the player taking an active part in a terrorist attack.

You'd have to be really dense not to see how the two are only superficially similar.

Is that it? I'm disappointed in you. Are you sure you don't want to post a link to an inane tvtropes article or one of those retarded gifs instead? Those are way better at creating a diversion from the fact that you have nothing relevant to say!

- When he is best, he is a little worse than a man, and when he is worst, he is little better than a beast.

...realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting.

Again, where are you getting that information? The game is a work of fiction. Also, are you against the "Black Hawk Down" games? If not, why? They are much more of a "realistic portrayal of events which actually happened in a real-world setting" than Modern Warfare 2. :lol:

Do you play as a terrorist in the "Black Hawk Down" game?

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

Do you play as a terrorist in the "Black Hawk Down" game?

You play as an attacking force that can slaughter civilians... But wait, because the attackers happen to be Delta Force members that doesn't count! the US of A is always right and can kill anyone without being evil! That must be true! :lol:

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

The context is different, and the context is everything. FO3 has no relation to present or past events, and the game doesn't focus on murdering civilians so it cannot be attacked as anything but random violence. The segment in MW2 is about the player taking an active part in a terrorist attack.

You'd have to be really dense not to see how the two are only superficially similar.

Is that it? I'm disappointed in you. Are you sure you don't want to post a link to an inane tvtropes article or one of those retarded gifs instead? Those are way better at creating a diversion from the fact that you have nothing relevant to say!

It's always serious business with you, isn't it?

I can see how someone would have a problem with that, but it's hard to find something that no one has a problem with these days. What course of action do you propose? Boycott? Complaining about it?

Also, what about artistic license? Would you have the same problems with a movie depicting the same events, a book? A painting?

Edited by Purkake

So how long until MW2 becomes cartoon violence, as it seems GTA has become (by the article. Because the latest form of media entertainment is always starting talks about a "realistic portrayal of events that actually happened" in the eyes of the media and the status quo.

Once upon a time Death Race was the big target for its horrific violence and simulation of running people down in the game, Carmageddon style.

I agree with numbers about how stuff like this helps people look at games more seriously.

This reminds me of the controversy about Red Orchestra telling the story of a German soldier in the Russian Front. Oh noes, he's a German!

Edited by alanschu

Well, this controversy is actually making me want to play my copy of MW1. I am still wondering why I got it. Haven't even loaded it up since I got it months ago till now.

"Your Job is not to die for your country, but set a man on fire, and take great comfort in the general hostility and unfairness of the universe."

never played the mp portion, but i played the single player portion 3 times. tied with half life 2 for most run throughs on an fps for me.

its a great game

Edited by entrerix

Killing is kind of like playin' a basketball game. I am there. and the other player is there. and it's just the two of us. and I put the other player's body in my van. and I am the winner. - Nice Pete.

Well, this controversy is actually making me want to play my copy of MW1.

And this controversy has made me go from very, very uninterested in MW2 to just very uninterested in MW2. Hell, I would be more inclined to buy a well done game where you played as a terrorist than yet another dull, boring, rah-rah-rah Go-USA Go-Army snooze-fest. -_-

its a great game

Hahahaha.... No. :lol:

-Hurlshot