Australian aims to become youngest to sail solo, unassisted around world

Guard Dog

SYDNEY - A 16-year-old Australian steered her bright pink yacht out of Sydney Harbor on Sunday to start her bid to become the youngest person to sail solo and unassisted around the world.

Jessica Watson's plan to make a 23,600-mile journey through some of the world's most treacherous waters sparked a debate in Australia about whether someone so young should be allowed to try such a potentially dangerous feat.

Watson and her family insist she is an experienced and capable sailor who has studied navigation, electronics and maritime safety procedures. Although she will sail solo and unassisted, she will be in constant contact with her support team via radio, e-mail and a blog.

After hugging her parents goodbye on shore, Watson sailed her pink, 34-foot yacht out of Sydney under gray skies and slightly choppy conditions. She smiled and waved to scores of well-wishers who lined parts of the shore, and boats that gathered on the harbor.

'Nervous'

"I think a lot of Australians are nervous for Jessica. I'm nervous for her," Deputy Prime Minister Julia Gillard told reporters. "But my words at this stage, given that she's determined to go, would be to wish her the best of luck and to urge her to keep safe."

Watson's plans suffered several setbacks before she finally left. Last month, her yacht collided with a cargo ship as she sailed toward Sydney to make final preparations

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

This has like already been done by a youngster the same age. I was listening to Jim Rome in the morning a couple months ago and some 16 year old American, I believe, sailed around the world unassisted however his story was cool because there were real life pirates in it and his communications and gps went out but in the end he came out of it fine and won life, so this chick is probably like only a couple of months younger which isn't really all that deserving of the "youngest in the world title" but still a pretty cool feat, I suppose, but then again its like touching down on the moon after 50 other people have. But the reason that I remember the story is because I loved the parents attitude about it becuase all these news types and retard people were like well its obviously too dangerous for the boy but they were like you know what the kid knows what hes doing and its our job to support him and let him realize his dreams and happily ever after the end.

edit: nvm it actually mentions the guy in the article, whoops

Edited by theslug

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

What is peoples' obsession with doing this, haven't they heard of airplanes?

Just out of curiosity, are you overweight? ;)

Anyway, if you can't understand the allure of doing something like this, than I'm at a loss to explain it to you.

Once again obvious sarcasm completely lost on you. The best bit is how you always feel the need to throw in some random insult, which just totally backfires on yourself. I love it :)

Edited by Moose

There are none that are right, only strong of opinion. There are none that are wrong, only ignorant of facts

Watson's plans suffered several setbacks before she finally left. Last month, her yacht collided with a cargo ship as she sailed toward Sydney to make final preparations — an accident that triggered some calls for her to abandon the attempt.

This is the main point of contention really, the investigation after that collision was pretty damning about her level of underpreparedness. Something about falling asleep in the middle of one of the country's busiest shipping lanes, and failing to set up the equipment that should be providing alerts that, you know, there's a big huge cargo ship on a collision course with your dinghy. I'd have no problems with anyone doing this who is demonstrably fit to do so, but this particular case seems to be asking for trouble.

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

What is peoples' obsession with doing this, haven't they heard of airplanes?

Just out of curiosity, are you overweight? ;)

Anyway, if you can't understand the allure of doing something like this, than I'm at a loss to explain it to you.

Once again obvious sarcasm completely lost on you. The best bit is how you always feel the need to throw in some random insult, which just totally backfires on yourself. I love it :)

Because sarcasm is very obvious on the Internet, right? Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me at all if you were deadly serious when you posted that. You need only take a look at the likes of Volourn or Visceris to see why.

If it was sarcasm as you claim, then I'll take your word for it and what I posted shouldn't bother you in the slightest. ;)

Naturally, as we discovered during the statutory rape discussion the entire concept of 'childhood' is a fiction designed to sell birthday cards and persecute intellectuals. I don't just support THIS child sailing solo around the world. I believe ALL children should be forced to sail solo around the world.

And all pensioners.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Feeling a bit cranky today, are we?

Not at all. I feel fantastic.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

The one thing I've always wanted to do is run the Iditarod. God knows I have enough dogs to do it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

The one thing I've always wanted to do is run the Iditarod. God knows I have enough dogs to do it.

Indeed. That , or a Korean restaurant.

-Elwood Blues

Indeed. That , or a Korean restaurant.

:thumbsup:

I was in Korea for Team Spirit in '90 and Valiant Blitz in '91. I actually tried fried dog. I can't say that I liked it but you never look at a dog the same way again. It was still better than kimchee though.

Thomas Sowell

Guest The Architect

The point of this story is that Australia rules.

If you dispute this, Krezack and I will deal with you.

Oh and Gorth, I guess, too, even though he's an old timer. ;)

I LOVE kimchee. Especially the farting aftewards.

-Elwood Blues

My dad once ate fresh monkey brains, this was in ye olde days before anyone had heard of AIDS and trans species transmitted diseases. I dunno, I can think of healthier tests of manhood.

He's luckier he didn't catch a prion disease. Like that one that makes you die of insomnia, slowly (over a period of years). That's so messed up.

The Vendee Globe is the race I was talking about. Only they have it every four years, not every year. Real hardcore stuff:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vend%C3%A9e_Globe

Thomas Sowell

Here is her blog for those that are interested: http://youngestround.blogspot.com/

After reading a few entries she sounds very... sixteen I guess.

Thomas Sowell

My dad once ate fresh monkey brains, this was in ye olde days before anyone had heard of AIDS and trans species transmitted diseases. I dunno, I can think of healthier tests of manhood.

I ate monkey meat in the Phillippines. It was delicious, tastes like BBQ pork. However, I didnt have the nerve for Balut. :)

I bet she'll run out of food.

Yeah, from her blog it sounded like she was eating everything in sight.

Thomas Sowell