Welcome to Obsidian Forum Community
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

The 5870 is here..

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
  • Steam:apocalypse_2000
I just placed my order for the Sapphire 5870 and Windows 7. Sapphire was one of the cheapest of the 5870 cards and had good reviews at Newegg.

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
Funny, I always bought Sapphire cards before, and this time I got a 4850 from another manufacturer. Had tons of problems with games crashing, Vista and disk getting corrupted, although I think Vista and disk controller had something to do with it also, but perhaps only as effect not cause. Anyway, finally replaced it with an XFX GTS250, no problems so far, although the only game I've been playing is ETW and not that much.

Pidesco

Pidesco

Global Moderator

• Global Moderators
  • 6542 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Silver Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
  • Lords of the Eastern Reach Backer
  • Deadfire Gold Backer
  • Fig Backer
I had an XFX card for a couple of years and it never gave me a single problem.

Anecdotal evidence is fun!

Wrath of Dagon

Wrath of Dagon

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 2157 posts
The card I had problems with wasn't an XFX, in case I didn't make it clear.

alanschu

alanschu

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 15747 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer
It seems a defrag actually has helped out performance a fair bit. I'm surprised, but COD stutters a lot less now. Must be a confounding variable somewhere, but I'm not going to complain too much :getlost:

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts

So far I don't see support for Windows XP. That will be a problem since I want to have a hard drive dedicated to Windows XP and another dedicated to Windows 7 on this machine.

Bah internet rumors. I just got my card today and it has drivers that work with WinXP.

I want teh kotor 3

I want teh kotor 3

(6) Magician

• Members
  • 622 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:fa11en Specter
The 380 cometh. Epic win.

Edited by I want teh kotor 3, 14 October 2009 - 09:54 AM.

Mera

Mera

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts

The 380 cometh. Epic win.

Epic Fail - News Source: fudzilla
FUDzilla

Matthew Rorie

Matthew Rorie

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
  • Xbox Gamertag:millardkillmore
Bah, my 5850 still hasn't shipped from Amazon. I really want it before Borderlands/Modern Warfare 2. :( Maybe I'll go check out a Fry's or something this weekend.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
That 5870 is a sexy card. Its nice to play Fallout without having stuttering because of intense animations. This is at 1440*900 at Ultra settings and before with my 3870 at 1024 with low setting it would choke.

Attached Files

Matthew Rorie

Matthew Rorie

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts

That 5870 is a sexy card. Its nice to play Fallout without having stuttering because of intense animations. This is at 1440*900 at Ultra settings and before with my 3870 at 1024 with low setting it would choke.

Isn't a 5870 a bit of overkill at that resolution? I mean, it's good to upgrade, but since you have a nice card now, you might want to think of getting a bigger monitor. My 4830 can run most games at 1920x1080 without a problem. Get a 24 incher!

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
Yeah the monitor is my next thing in the future. I only have a 19" wide screen. That will have to wait since I used what free money I have to buy a new motherboard for my other computer since that died.

The only problem with the 5870 is its too perfect. It shows imperfections in WAV and MPEG movies. Even so called HD WAV movies.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts

So far I don't see support for Windows XP. That will be a problem since I want to have a hard drive dedicated to Windows XP and another dedicated to Windows 7 on this machine.

Bah internet rumors. I just got my card today and it has drivers that work with WinXP.

Well works with XP some what. I find glitches in the games from time to time. There is no support at the ATI site in regards to the Catalyst drivers for XP. Well I'll see when I get Windows 7 and if I see these glitches again then it must be a faulty card.

Matthew Rorie

Matthew Rorie

(5) Thaumaturgist

• Members
  • 595 posts
There are some 5870's floating around the office, so I'm going to take one home and try it out. Assuming it fits into my case, that is.

mkreku

mkreku

Arch-Mage

• Members
  • 8561 posts
And now an even bigger beast is coming..

http://www.engadget....the-wilderness/

I wonder what that'll cost.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
How can a new product be deactivated already? I was going to get this but I guess I won't now. :)

Deadly_Nightshade

Deadly_Nightshade

Vampire

• Members
  • 5133 posts
  • Pillars of Eternity Backer
  • Kickstarter Backer

How can a new product be deactivated already? :blink:

They sometimes put deactivated instead of out of stock - so my guess is that it will be "reactivated" as soon as another shipment comes in. :)

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
Its back and not in stock of course. They need to get it together. WTF is the deal with all of these 5870 cards being out of stock?

Mera

Mera

(3) Conjurer

• Members
  • 137 posts

Its back and not in stock of course. They need to get it together. WTF is the deal with all of these 5870 cards being out of stock?

Demand is high and TSMC is again having yield problems, which sucks for both ATi and Nvidia.

CoM_Solaufein

CoM_Solaufein

Obsidian VIP

• Members
  • 5116 posts
One of these days we might get some 5870s back in stock. Didn't have this problem when they first came out, when I ordered that Saphirre card.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users