The 5870 is here..

mkreku

I sell my old crap at ebay.

How much do you earn? Is it worth money selling your old stuff or are you doing it just because your conscience tells you someone else could be using your old graphics cards?

"Well, overkill is my middle name. And my last name. And all of my other names as well!"

I have, through the selling of my old PC components, mitigated the cost of the new ones by more than 50%.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

Well now that the 5870 is out of the way, the 5850 is out for the more sensible people. Good news even if you're fervently opposed to ever buying ATi as it's going to force cascading price drops across the entire nVidia range. $100 drop in GTX285 (now utterly obsolete at its current price point) incoming?

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

So far I don't see support for Windows XP. That will be a problem since I want to have a hard drive dedicated to Windows XP and another dedicated to Windows 7 on this machine.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

I've heard anecdotal reports of people running ok in XP (though performance might be suboptimal), not sure if it required the 9.10 beta drivers. Alternatively, have you looked into Win7's XP mode to see if it would be suitable for you?

Edited by Humanoid

L I E S T R O N G
L I V E W R O N G

5850? Why stop there, go up to the big boy the 5870. >_<

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Nvidia's next GPU 'Fermi' will have 3 billion transistors, 40% more than the Radeon 5870. This likely means that it will be that much more expensive :(

I would gladly pay even twice the price of Rad 5870 just to experience games the way they were meant to be played.

5850? Why stop there, go up to the big boy the 5870. :)

I don't know if it'd fit in my case. The 5850 is an inch shorter, so that's something. Plus I think the 5850 is going to be overkill itself for a while to come.

Matthew Rorie

I haven't gotten it yet, it's sold out for at least a month here in Sweden.

But it will render my orcs oh so pretty!

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Christ, I hope so.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Well I know I have the 16x slot. I was just curious if they'd move on.

My computer finally met its match with Call of Duty 4 (which is funny because I can play games that came after it with much better performance).

My computer is pretty old now. It's an Athlon 64 X2 4200+ with 2 GB of RAM and an ATI Radeon X1900 XTX.

The ability to upgrade my processor is pretty limited today, but a newer video card is perhaps not out of the question. Probably can't break $100. I saw a Sapphire 4550 for $60, an a 9500 GT for $65 after rebate.

My guess is that video cards are the biggest bottleneck for games at this time, but at the same time my CPU is pretty old by today's standards. Perhaps an upgrade there is in store, but that is certainly not in the cards at this time. I'll likely bide my time and maybe ask for a video card for Christmas or something.

What's your monitor's resolution? In principle you should be able to play all games out now(except maybe Crysis) maxed with a cheap graphics card upgrade.

This would be the best choice for someone on a budget right now.

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I still use a CRT, specifically to allow variable resolutions.

I'm generally content to play most games at 1024x768, though Call of Duty 4 had me drop down to 800x600 for some small gains in performance (AA and AF were already off for instance).

How important is the brand? The last card I bought was built by ATI hahaha.

TBH, they're both fine. Some people think ATI's drivers suck, but I wouldn't know.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"