so pissed at Obsidian

Is Torment a worse game because you can't choose your gender or customise your appearance?

No.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

What is TC? Seriously. Thread Creator?

EDIT: I can kinda see the op/tc's point. I wouldnt enjoy being forced to play a female and probably wouldnt buy the game either. I want my toon to be my virtual asskicking self.

Never played No One Lives Forever 1/2, The Longest Journey, Portal or Beyond Good And Evil?

I weep for you.

Edited by Purkake

EDIT: I can kinda see the op/tc's point. I wouldnt enjoy being forced to play a female and probably wouldnt buy the game either. I want my toon to be my virtual asskicking self.

Never played No One Lives Forever 1/2, The Longest Journey, Portal or Beyond Good And Evil?

I weep for you.

No, Ive never played any of those.

I even go so far as to try to make the avatar look as close as possible to me, but there usually isnt a good looking enough portrait to choose from. -_-

Edited by Gfted1

I even go so far as to try to make the avatar look as close as possible to me, but there usually isnt a good looking enough portrait to choose from. -_-

I can see how a man could become a wrinkly red monster without the joy that these games bring.

Please try them. All but NOLF are available on Steam for ~$10.

Edited by Purkake

I weep for you.

You forgot the ultimate chick-game: FF-X2. -_-

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

I didn't catch the context where this was said... but TC often [more often than not] means 'Total Conversion'

*edit:
rofl.gif
I just read back several posts... and it looks like it does mean 'topic creator'

Who plays an RPG to play as themselves?

After games like KOTOR2 and NWN2 we're suddenly stuck with being unable to choose what sex to play? That's an enormous step backwards, and I don't think there can be a serious enough reason for it. I think Obsidian just ignores the obvious wants of modern players.
Personally I could hardly care about gender choice. All that matters is the story and the gameplay mechanics. If the story centers around a woman, then changing the gender type and name is not enough to make it center around a man ~and vice versa. A game designed like that would be a weak effort at best (insulting at worst).

What if the game was set in the Vietnam war... about combat pilots... about tunnel rats...

There are cultures whose myths consider only woman as magic users ~what then? Should men complain that they're not allowed to play a mage? I consider this a moot complaint about a non issue and games like Planescape, Sea of Evil & Arx Fatalis prove it well enough.

No game is a perfect match for everyone, and if a person is not capable of playing an assigned character, then that is not the game for them.

P.S. Nobody has to reply to my post, I am not coming back here.
No one has to if you did come back. shrug-1.gif

Still, 'post & run' tactics are pretty pointless and a waste of your time... Its certainly non-constructive, and leads nowhere.

(But everyone knows that you will return to read your replies ~anonymously).

Edited by Gizmo

I weep for you.

I even go so far as to try to make the avatar look as close as possible to me, but there usually isnt a good looking enough portrait to choose from. :lol:

I highly recommend each and every one of those games. NOLF are fantastic games.

I highly recommend each and every one of those games. NOLF are fantastic games.

I never found NOLF to buy... but I have Nolf 2 ~And FO3 reminds me a lot of it.

Who plays an RPG to play as themselves?

I often do.

Why exactly? and if I may ask... What distinction do you have between an RPG and an Adventure title?

See, I can not figure out why Oblivion has a name for your PC, BG1 & 2 have names and it makes sense

~Do you pretend that you were born in Candle Keep and have a childhood friend in Imoen? [that's not supposed to be the least bit sarcastic or joking at your expense ~its a serious question].

When I play Baldur's ~Any Infinity game, I create a character, a name (after a while I may even fill in the Biography :lol:), but that PC is not Me in Faerun. I don't pretend to be Xan or Imoen or Montaron... I look at them and extrapolate the behavior for each and every one of them, including the PC.

Some do seem to play as 'having the wizards power', I never understood the draw... Rather, I always contemplate... How would this wizard with these abilities react to that person/creature speaking in that way about that subject. And I usually choose what option I have that's closest to the mark. *That's not too difficult at all in Fallout :) They were pretty good at in-character replies.

The game Arx Fatalis comes close to you [the player] being the PC, but stops short as the PC is fully voiced in some clever ways.

Edited by Gizmo

Why exactly? and if I may ask...

Why not?

I'm not saying I don't roleplay in different ways either, but I have no issues playing a game like Deus Ex, and playing the character and making the choices that I would probably do if I was in that specific situation.

I also have no problems playing the situation for the type of character that I am currently playing.

I can't say I have ever heard anyone else say that Fallout 3 reminds them of No One Lives Forever 2. I wish that Fallout 3 reminded me of No One Lives Forever 2.

Why not?

I'm not saying I don't roleplay in different ways either, but I have no issues playing a game like Deus Ex, and playing the character and making the choices that I would probably do if I was in that specific situation.

I also have no problems playing the situation for the type of character that I am currently playing.

I only played the Demo for Deus Ex, and don't remember much about it.

RPG's present you with a world and a character (as opposed to a persona). In Baldur's Gate you play a person born of bizarre circumstance and with unique talents. You have a father (figure), and a defined past with acquaintances. This game is conducive to extrapolated play; In Oblivion you are a criminal without a past, without a crime, and realistically, without need of a name. You have no defined ethics, no defined class, no defined goal (other than Septim's request) ~In other words, you have no role to play. Oblivion is an endless trek of meaningless choices. Sure you can choose the good path, and the bad, and the neutral; Become leader of all guilds, and all disciplines... and you can invent the role as well ~on the fly. Its meaningless, like water in the air with no container.

Strange game, the only way to win is not to play.

I can't say I have ever heard anyone else say that Fallout 3 reminds them of No One Lives Forever 2. I wish that Fallout 3 reminded me of No One Lives Forever 2.

It reminds me of Nolf2 in that its a beautiful retro-looking skill based shooter with inventory and limited dialog and they both have a space level :lol:.

'Cept that NOLF2's NPC's notice dead bodies, and the game has vehicular combat.

RPG's present you with a world and a character (as opposed to a persona). In Baldur's Gate you play a person born of bizarre circumstance and with unique talents. You have a father (figure), and a defined past with acquaintances. This game is conducive to extrapolated play; In Oblivion you are a criminal without a past, without a crime, and realistically, without need of a name. You have no defined ethics, no defined class, no defined goal (other than Septim's request) ~In other words, you have no role to play. Oblivion is an endless trek of meaningless choices. Sure you can choose the good path, and the bad, and the neutral; Become leader of all guilds, and all disciplines... and you can invent the role as well ~on the fly. Its meaningless, like water in the air with no container.

I'm not sure how this relates to the discussion of how someone is able to place themselves into the game.

I'm not sure how this relates to the discussion of how someone is able to place themselves into the game.

Why not?

Oblivion has no problem with placing you "there" in the game... Its a one trick pony and that's it's one trick.

I just don't see how that makes it a [non-existant] role playing game.

Edited by Gizmo

Why not?

I only played the Demo for Deus Ex, and don't remember much about it.

Strange game, the only way to win is not to play.

It reminds me of Nolf2 in that its a beautiful retro-looking skill based shooter with inventory and limited dialog and they both have a space level :lol:.

'Cept that NOLF2's NPC's notice dead bodies, and the game has vehicular combat.

If your saying oblivion was a bad game, screw you. I dont like games that say, 'congratulations, you won! Feel free to play the game again' unless they have a lot of replayability (Alpha Protocol)

So screw anyone that says Oblivion sucked. Same with Fallout 3.

Screw you all, Im goin to Texas.

salamando.gif

build a man a fire and he will be warm for a day, but set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

So screw anyone that says Oblivion sucked. Same with Fallout 3.
They were cool games, but many fans of Morrowind were disappointed in Oblivion, just as many fans of Fallout were with FO3 ~and the stinger is that they were disappointed for [in some cases] exactly the same reasons despite the different series.

(but it was the same developer).

Those that only played those recent two cannot compare them to their respective series and so... cannot see why they disappoint.

Cannot accept that others might [seemingly] scoff at their idea of awesome.

Screw you all, Im goin to Texas.
Possibly a fellow Boondocks fan I see

(if you don't get the reference... then I guess not :lol:)

Edited by Gizmo

Why not?

Oblivion has no problem with placing you "there" in the game... Its a one trick pony and that's it's one trick.

I just don't see how that makes it a [non-existant] role playing game.

Who was discussing Oblivion? Or claiming it is or is not a roleplaying game?

You asked specifically "Who plays an RPG to play as themselves?"

I answered your question. You asked for an elaboration. I'd still roleplay myself through playthroughs of Baldur's Gate even. I'm completely confused as to how Oblivion came involved at all.

Who was discussing Oblivion? Or claiming it is or is not a roleplaying game?

You asked specifically "Who plays an RPG to play as themselves?"

I answered your question. You asked for an elaboration. I'd still roleplay myself through playthroughs of Baldur's Gate even. I'm completely confused as to how Oblivion came involved at all.

I apologize, I didn't thank you for your answer.

Thank you :aiee:

I mentioned Oblivion because it is a game that succeeds at putting the player in the virtual world as themselves.

I played my PC to 26th level, but the game was just not my kind of RPG. I never play as the PC, and the game seemed intended for players that wished to assume an in game identity like some large single player MMO. Not my cup of tea.

*Its kind of the reason I asked, "Who plays an RPG as themselves?".

Edited by Gizmo

Fair enough.

Oblivion would probably be good at it if the game itself was actually good and interesting. In the end it wasn't.

Having said that, to bring this on topic, if there is ever a choice between male or female, I almost always play male, simply because I am more confident on having a believable type playthrough with it. However, playing as a female character has never been a factor at all in not purchasing a character.

I've never heard anybody complain about Lara Croft being a woman in Tomb Raider. It would just feel "odd" somehow if the next installment let you play as Larry Croft :aiee:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've never heard anybody complain about Lara Croft being a woman in Tomb Raider. It would just feel "odd" somehow if the next installment let you play as Larry Croft :aiee:

I can see it now... the opening intro shows Lara do one of here dizzying cliff top jumps~ and miss... Falling into a deep inaccessible crevice on some ancient Tibetan temple mountain... GPS still beeping, and heartbeat monitor showing decline. Enter Larry.

Larry Croft goes off to rescue his step sister before its too late. [same animations... different model rofl.gif]