Bioware/Bethesda appreciation thread

Now, Obsidian is great, I'm glad we all agree on that. But Bethesda and Bioware also do good things and I think it's time we put our hate aside and see the positive in those two developpers who just don't get enough love around here. I'm not saying we start treating every good thing they do as God's gift to gaming, but still...

Here, I'll start.

I like Bioware's voice actors. They're always pretty good, especially Jennifer Hale, and I like Carth/Kaidan's voice actor (mostly because he also played Scorch in Republic Commando.)

Bethesda makes some big open worlds that have some nice places to explore. Like Megaton. That was nice. Point Lookout's trippy mushroom scene was nice too.

Oblivion and Mass Effect were pretty.

Mass Effect's ending was very epic and enjoyable.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Bethesda made a great crpg in Daggerfall, then made a not so good one in MOrrowind, then they made a wretched crpg in Oblivion, but then they made an improvement with Fallout 3. SO for the first time in like 10 years they are on the upswing. Yay!

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Well, none of their employees have been convicted of mass-murder.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

I like Bioware's voice actors. They're always pretty good,

No. Male Shepard?

Hah. No.

Being positive, KotOR was a good game.

This particularly rapid, unintelligible patter isn't generally heard, and if it is, it doesn't matter.

No. Male Shepard?

Hah. No.

I've deleted my memories of Male Shepard.

And I enjoyed Mass Effect's ending more than the rest of the game.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

No. Male Shepard?

Hah. No.

I've deleted my memories of Male Shepard.

Yes, well it's hardly a challenge to enjoy something more than the majority of Mass Effect. :)

Woah woah.

That's not positive enough.

Think happier thoughts.

Oh. Uh... I thought Jade Empire had some pretty area design?

There are several ways of interpreting that, not all of them positive :)

I loved BG2, BG1 wasn't too shabby either. Some day, I might be able to identify why I like BG2 so much.

Edit: Kotor was a fun enough game too for its time. Can't say much about Bethesda, too unfamiliar with their games in general. What little I tried didn't get me "hooked"

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Well, let's see.

BG2 high-level mage and dragon battles were fun.

Jade Empire had a pretty nice soundtrack.

David Gaider started writing novels and thus is spending less time making games.

Bioware helped Obsidian get rid of Ferret.

Bioware helped alanschu get over that married girl he had a crush on.

Bethesda got Obsidian to make New Vegas.

Morrowind main theme was pretty awesome.

You can improve your athletic skill by falling off a cliff.

"And then I ate her" http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?s=&am...st&p=910021

Bethesda as an entity has been a pretty convenient means through which to gather up all the most incompetent game developers into the same building.

Hadescopy.jpg

(Approved by Fio, so feel free to use it)

I really love that post, Llyr.

Baldur's Gate 2 is a fantastic RPG that IMO is unmatched in the genre.

Daggerfall is now free, So I'll have something more to add a bit later after I play it.

http://download.cnet.com/The-Elder-Scrolls...4-10964310.html

Fallout 3 really really looks the part where the world is concerned (except for Mr. handy).

*And its cool that we didn't get this on the box...

Power-bikini.jpg

**Or this :thumbsup:

Fallout3-1-1.jpg

Edited by Gizmo

I've enjoyed all BioWare's & Bethesda's games that've come out... even Battlespire. And in the end that's all that matters to me. *shrug*

Sure there has been a downward trend going Daggerfall - Morrowind - Oblivion, but I'm optimistic Bethesda will redeem themselves with an eventual TES V... considering they brought out Broken Steel in reaction to outcries considering FO 3's ending, this gives good hope that a lot of Oblivion's design choices will be given a second thought and hopefully reversed.

Edited by virumor

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Bioware was on of my favourite developers 9 years ago.

Bethesda was one of my favourite developers 12 years ago.

I'm not sure if these are positive, though....

"My hovercraft is full of eels!" - Hungarian tourist
I am Dan Quayle of the Romans.
I want to tattoo a map of the Netherlands on my nether lands.
Heja Sverige!!
Everyone should cuffawkle more.
The wrench is your friend. :bat:

I appreciate these chumps with my money.

I guess, however, that an extra bonus is that I get to come on a message board with a bunch of folks and argue about them. That's probably my favorite thing. I'm also looking forward to New Vegas and Dragon Age. :thumbsup: