Dragon Age Origins

The VO ain't great, strange because Claudia Black has a nice voice.

As for the romance stuff, phasers to obliterate (etc), the Mills & Boon crowd over on the Bio boards must be wetting themselves.

Maybe my party will be the meat-shield with the Foreign Accent and two wardogs.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

No wonder Bioware is going to hell, the only constant topic in DA forums is romance or its other iteration - gay romance.

F'ing emo fans.

This is going to be the second most bought game by female players after The Sims.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

This is going to be the second most bought game by female players after The Sims.

Obviously I don't care for romances in CRPGs. OTOH, I'm cool with people enjoying romances of any description (and if we are having romance options then it's definitely about time there was a gay romance in a CRPG). I'm also cool about more female gamers playing CRPGs but I don't buy that it it axiomatic that this must mean romances - that's just another stereotype. Lots of male gamers loved the BG2 romances - let's not polarise this issue.

What does bug me is the squeakiest wheel getting the oil - the romance lobby is very loud over on the Bioboards, there is a cosy groupthink there on this issue. As long as romances are entirely optional and don't detract from the overall game I just get on with it, but for some yes, they would appear to want a romance game with some easy combat between cutscenes. There's nothing wrong with adding a counterbalance to that POV.

Cheers

MC

sonsofgygax.JPG

I loved interacting with Zevran as a character. I thought he was really well written. It was just too bad he was literally the exact same spec as my main character, so I never really went running around with him in my group.

How about Wynne? Is she interesting to converse with?

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Does this Alistair fellow have a swaggy, enchanting Oxford-dialect, or will it be another CarthTheWhine-template?

Neither. He's not as bad as Carth though.

No wonder Bioware is going to hell, the only constant topic in DA forums is romance or its other iteration - gay romance.

F'ing emo fans.

Please bend over so I can illustrate where you can shove this particular comment.

What does bug me is the squeakiest wheel getting the oil - the romance lobby is very loud over on the Bioboards, there is a cosy groupthink there on this issue. As long as romances are entirely optional and don't detract from the overall game I just get on with it, but for some yes, they would appear to want a romance game with some easy combat between cutscenes. There's nothing wrong with adding a counterbalance to that POV.

Cheers

MC

1) I witness just as much groupthink here as I do on the BioBoards.

2) The average person who hangs out on the romance threads *also* likes combat and wants a great deal of it.

3) I'd like an RPG with no combat whatsoever, no XP, little to no inventory, and no character sheet with a list of skills, talents, and feats. On the other hand, I've tried to suggest that every party member be bisexual and interested in threesomes. And I actually play romance games.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Looking at the companions on the DA wiki, I'm not seeing the Half-Naked Plant Lady. What happened to her?

I demand my Half-Naked Plant Lady:

Dragon-Age-Origins-12.jpg

As you might know, I'm one of the two 'wiki admins' for the Dragon Age wiki. I started a thread two days ago so we can get some information on the naked plant lady, but none of the developers commented. Right now, about all we know is that she's a naked plant lady.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Obviously I don't care for romances in CRPGs. OTOH, I'm cool with people enjoying romances of any description (and if we are having romance options then it's definitely about time there was a gay romance in a CRPG). I'm also cool about more female gamers playing CRPGs but I don't buy that it it axiomatic that this must mean romances - that's just another stereotype. Lots of male gamers loved the BG2 romances - let's not polarise this issue.

Cheers

MC

Dont get me wrong, I loved the romances of BGII. It was another afterthought that added flavor to an already deep game. However when they became a staple of every Bio game, especially since they (KOTOR, Jade, ME) dont last long enough for a meaningful interaction of that sort to foster - they started pissing me off. Now they cram it into every game whether it fits in or not.

logosig2.jpg

Imperium Thought for the Day: Even a man who has nothing can still offer his life

Please bend over so I can illustrate where you can shove this particular comment.

3) I'd like an RPG with no combat whatsoever, no XP, little to no inventory, and no character sheet with a list of skills, talents, and feats. On the other hand, I've tried to suggest that every party member be bisexual and interested in threesomes. And I actually play romance games.

That was what I was talking about people. And here I was wondering why every Bio game is dumber and dumber (as in, further and further away from Baldurs Gate).

If you feel like playing adventure games with everyone sleeping with everyone else, thats fine. You even got a developer:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peach_Princess

Why ruin the fun for the rest of us?

1) I witness just as much groupthink here as I do on the BioBoards.

Actually from what I've seen nobody can agree on anything here, which really is the complete opposite of what you're saying.

Still, though some people get on my nerves I'd never exchange them for the Bio romance hive mind.

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Real classy, RPGmasterBoo ;)

There was no flame today, I got bored. Besides drop by the DA forums if you dont believe me. A romance thread is opened every three days and is usually the biggest one there. :ermm:

logosig2.jpg

3) I’d like an RPG with no combat whatsoever, no XP, little to no inventory, and no character sheet with a list of skills, talents, and feats.

That would be an adventure game, or a movie :p

They did it in PnP, games like FUDGE and Amber for example. They end up as free-form storytelling as much as games, I suppose it's fun if you dig that kind of thing. Haven't a clue how you'd integrate that into a 'puter game though.

Since gaming Year Zero there's been two ends of the RPG spectrum - wargamers and role-players, most live happily in the middle. Me and Maria probably dwell towards either end of those ends (as I've said before). As for groupthink? Look at this thread, there is a healthy divergence of opinion.

For Maria's revolutionary free-form non-combat RPG (I think there's probably room for it in the indie end of the market) I'd obviously swap it out for a crunchy turn-based pure tactics game on hexes (I think there's probably room for it in the indie end of the market). I'm OD&D and Maria is 4E I suppose.

I wouldn't call my worst enemy 4e :p

I know of the free-form storytelling PnP RPGs. But I think that having a solid framework of rules to deal with conflicts can sometimes help the roleplaying. The rules just have to be general enough to allow a lot of freedom.

I'm sure there are some video games where you just walk around and talk to people, but I don't know any specifically. I guess it would be like Myst, but with dialogue options?

@Boo: I believe you, but that's no need to call them emos and make weird sexist comments.

Edited by Purkake

3) I'd like an RPG with no combat whatsoever, no XP, little to no inventory, and no character sheet with a list of skills, talents, and feats.

Codename ZRPG may be the closest to your wishes for now.

That was what I was talking about people. And here I was wondering why every Bio game is dumber and dumber.

Lewt and stats aren't what make RPGs intelligent. Combat is not what makes RPGs intelligent. Real choices with realistic consequences, intelligent stories, and deep characters are what make an RPG intelligent, and they're the biggest thing lacking from the DnD model cRPGs are following. As long as the player's biggest concerns revolve around class/race, creating the best build to kill the various 82,941 mobs they encounter, and getting XP, RPGs will never grow as a genre.

World of Warcraft is nothing but combat, gaining XP, inventory, and managing character skills and talents, but it

Edited by Maria Caliban

I'm sure there are some video games where you just walk around and talk to people, but I don't know any specifically. I guess it would be like Myst, but with dialogue options?

Try a random hentai game.

logosig2.jpg

Lewt and stats aren't what make RPGs intelligent. Combat is not what makes RPGs intelligent. Real choices with realistic consequences, intelligent stories, and deep characters are what make an RPG intelligent, and they're the biggest thing lacking from the DnD model cRPGs are following. As long as the player's biggest concerns revolve around class/race, creating the best build to kill the various 82,941 mobs they encounter, and getting XP, RPGs will never grow as a genre.

World of Warcraft is nothing but combat, gaining XP, inventory, and managing character skills and talents, but it’s not an RPG, it’s a fantasy combat game. Wouldn’t you be interested in seeing what it’s exact opposite might look like? Are you just afraid to try out an RPG with no numbers to tell you that you’re doing better, growing strong? After all, there’s more to life than killing high-level mobs.

All true, but:

how is that significantly different from a nonlinear adventure game in the vein of Farenheit?

Besides you have to understand that the drop in gameplay complexity is hard to stomach, and Bio hasnt really skyrocketed in other regards to balance that out. There has to be a game in there somewhere, even under layers of quality storytelling, or it wont satisfy the "player" and the "reader" .

Edited by RPGmasterBoo

logosig2.jpg

Maybe FunCom's upcoming "Secret World" MMO? That one would supposedly focus on story & characters & does not work with XP at all.

The ending of the words is ALMSIVI.

Try a random hentai game.

That would be like Myst, but with easier puzzles and more minigames :p

Looking at the companions on the DA wiki, I'm not seeing the Half-Naked Plant Lady. What happened to her?

I demand my Half-Naked Plant Lady:

Dragon-Age-Origins-12.jpg

So Geralt lent them a dryad? Sweet.

The ugly mugs behind her clue me in that she is a nasty shapeshifter.

logosig2.jpg