Scientology contract leaks

Purkake

So somehow the contract you have to sign when joining the Church of Scientology leaked. I wonder how anyone would sign this:

Earlier this week a classified Scientology contract was leaked (full pdf document here), revealing the paranoid nature of the Church. The document is entitled Application, Declaration and General Release Declaration of Religious Commitment and Application for Membership in a Scientology Religious Order and for Active Participation on Church Staff. This contract must be signed by anyone who wishes to engage in "active participation as a staff member within the Church of Scientology" as a Class V Org member.

Among the items they must agree to are:

8. I am not related to or connected with any intelligence agency, either by past history or immediate familial connection.

9. I do NOT have a parent or a guardian who is an antagonist of the Scientology religion, or of any organization devoted to Scientology applied religious philosophy.

10. I am not seeking a staff position to obtain material for dissemination to the public via press, radio, television, motion picture or other media. I do not seek to obtain data for any other organization or to disrupt the Church organization.

11. I do not have personal debts of a magnitude such that efforts to satisfy them would immediately disrupt or cause me to pull back from my commitment to the Church.

The document continues by insisting that the following points be individually signed, making clear that the Church is not obligated to follow state or federal labor practices:

I FURTHER UNDERSTAND THAT ALL CHURCH STAFF MEMBERS INCLUDING MYSELF, ARE MEMBERS OF A RELIGIOUS ORDER; THAT THEY SERVE PURSUANT TO THEIR RELIGIOUS OBLIGATIONS AND NOT IN CONTEMPLATION OF RECEIVING ANY COMPENSATION WHATSOEVER, AND IN DOING SO THAT THEY ARE FORSAKING ALL COMMERCIAL AND FINANCIAL MOTIVATION. PLEASE INITIAL __

EACH CONSIDERS HIMSELF/HERSELF A VOLUNTEER TO CREATE A BETTER WORLD, AND UNDERSTANDS THAT HE/SHE IS NOT AN EMPLOYEE, I.E. IS NOT ENTITLED TO RECEIVE SECULAR BENEFITS SUCH AS A MINIMUM WAGE OR OVERTIME COMPENSATION. PLEASE INITIAL __

As if that weren't enough of an incentive to join, the document then goes on to warn the applicant of what will happen if they break their agreement:

7. BREACH OF COVENANT. If a staff member . . . breaks his agreement either by leaving staff before completing his commitment [either 2 1/2 or 5 years] or by violating his good standing as a Scientology staff member so that he is dismissed in accordance with policy, he or she shall remit forthwith to the Church a penance for violation of this covenant in accordance with the ecclesiastical policy of the Church if such person is declared a "freeloader". [...]

9. ENTIRETY OF COVENANT. The Church shall not be obligated to honor any verbal promises or any other terms or conditions not specifically covered in this Covenant. This Covenant forms the entirety of the Church's agreement with the Church staff member, and promises no specific counselling, training, posts or other benefits to any Church staff member.

So the Scientologists make you honor your promise to shill for them and receive nothing in return (and then pay a "penance for violation" if they are in any way dissatisfied with you) but they don't have to honor any of their promises to you. How nice of them. Then, in the event that you might be dissatisfied with how they exploited you and kicked you to the curb, they make clear that any legal action is off limits:

B. I HEREBY RELEASE AND DISCHARGE THE RELEASES from all actions, claims or demands I, my heirs, distributees, guardians, legal representatives or assigns ever had, now have or may hereafter have for injury or damage resulting from or any way connected with my membership in the Scientology Religious Order, active participation on Church staff or association with the Releasees. [...]

I AM AWARE THAT THIS IS A RELEASE OF LIABILITY, COVENANT NOT TO SUE AND INDEMNITY AGREEMENT BETWEEN MYSELF AND THE CHURCH AND/OR ITS AFFILIATED ORGANIZATIONS AND/OR OTHER INDIVIDUALS, AND I UNDERSTAND AND AGREE THAT BY PLACING MY SIGNATURE AT THE END OF THIS DOCUMENT I SHALL BE BOUND BY ITS TERMS. PLEASE INITIAL __

Tom Cruise, John Travolta and half the cast of "My name is Earl". What the hell do these people get out of being in that sect, really?

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

Guest PoziomyPion
staff member

This bit says so much and it's only a couple of words. Apparently you become a staff member by joining this sect.

Tom Cruise, John Travolta and half the cast of "My name is Earl". What the hell do these people get out of being in that sect, really?

When I read your post, I went to Google and typed in the search box: My name is Earl scientology, to find out about half of the cast being members of that church. I found an article and started reading about show creators and Jason Lee being scientologists.

I was indifferent until I read that Juliette Lewis, One of my favourite actressess is a scientologist too. What the hell, how people can belive in all that Xenu bull.

Freakin hell.

famous people are treated differently in the cult... er, religion of scientology than normal humans. l. ron hubbard made it clear that it was a benefit to have celebrity members for recruitment purposes. as for why they join... does anyone really think it takes a rational, intelligent mind to be a movie star?

i'd be willing to be that many of the clauses of the contract are not enforceable in any US court of law.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

How weak-willed does one really have to be in order to seriously believe in any of this ****? Lord Xenu, thetans, the bridge... it's like something out of a bad sci-fi film from the 50's. *facepalm*

If I were to believe bad sci fi was real I'd choose WH40k. I could be a gretchin. And eat bum fungi.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

How weak-willed does one really have to be in order to seriously believe in any of this ****? Lord Xenu, thetans, the bridge... it's like something out of a bad sci-fi film from the 50's. *facepalm*

Well, L. Ron Hubbard WAS a bad sci-fi writer in the 50s wasn't he? I think some people are just desperate to be part of... something. Its eccentric and different, and the movie stars are/want to be too.

The more you learn about Scientology the more of a joke it sounds like. Whats really horrifying is that people buy into it with their lives and savings. I guess it all sounds rather good at first. Sort of a healthy living spiritual type thing. The more a person pays the weirder it gets though and the more indoctrinated the people become. I used to believe hypnosis was a bunch of bunk, but I've recently changed my mind about it. The mind is incredible, and can unfortunately be manipulated like clay in the wrong hands.

Yeah but look at the lunatic energy of Tom Cruise and John Travolta, it gets things done like nobody's business.

I used the think it was just a scam, with the local Grand Moff collecting 10.000 $ every time a mark advances a tier, but apparently they are planning world domination, having as their stated goal the conversion of the entire world.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I've watched a few Scientologists questioned about their faith on YouTube, and it really is like they are brain washed. They immediately go on the defensive and repeat the same slogans/phrases over again. My Grandmother went to some sort of Scientologist seminar many years ago and went through hypno-regression. Said she actually believed she was a baby again. Told me this a while back and at the time I didn't believe her.

I'm very much into freedom of choice and freedom of religion... but Scientology just worries me.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

Scientology seems very different. I've had many conversations with Christians, friend & family. They each have their own ideas, arguments and reasons for their faith. They question it at times and reinforce it in different manners.

Scientology seems more like Dr. Evil put your head in the brain wash machine come out different stuff. Frankly I think the Germans are right to ban it. Really, it seems more like a cult than anything else.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

They sure know how to make the Foreign Legion sound like an attractive alternative :lol:

Are people really that desperate to feel "special"? :huh:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

I've seen a video where a guy asks two scientologists some questions and they immediately get defensive and say that the only people who question the church are those with something to hide. Then proceeded to call the questioner a pedophile because that's "what he looked like".

I'll try to dig it up

Edited by Calax

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

Well you could say 'brainwashing' about a lot of religions.

not just religion... scientology is quite a bit different than your run of the mill christian belief system (it is a cult by any definition). the ramblings of l. ron hubbard can easily be traced and proved exactly what they are - ramblings of a power hungry control freak - but the same is not true of christianity.

How many Christians do you think there would be without early indoctrination from the parents.

a lot.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I find it frightening that this group can so easily strong arm people into doing their bidding (even the IRS)

Yes, this is a cult. Christianity is not. End of story. :lol: Germans banned scientology? Good for them!

... do we really need to go over this again?