F3: Mothership Zeta screens & short article

Fallout had three types of crazy:

• Crazy in town (normal fruitcakes and junkies)
  • Crazy Science (Ghouls that form from radiation exposure and Mutants that crawl out of the VATS)
  • Crazy out in the wild wasteland (where anything can happen and you can't know if its real or hallucination, or just plain bizarre)

The happenings in the waste are non-canon, and serve only as WTH moments and comic relief. Its not something that happens with any witnesses or with any way to find your way back to it. shrug-1.gif

That you can bring the blaster along with you is just cool ;)

This pontification of what is canon and what isn't seems a bit too convenient in that it allows folks to discount the failings of the earlier games. Clearly, the happenings in the wastes are PART of the game, and are, therefor canon, for beter or worse. They weren't "wth, that's FUNNY!" moments for me, they were more like WTF, this sucks" moments for me.

So if you found it funny then, why isn't it funny now? It's still WTF for me.

This pontification of what is canon and what isn't seems a bit too convenient in that it allows folks to discount the failings of the earlier games. Clearly, the happenings in the wastes are PART of the game, and are, therefor canon, for beter or worse. They weren't "wth, that's FUNNY!" moments for me, they were more like WTF, this sucks" moments for me.

Uh, because they are special encounters meant to be discovered only by characters with exceptional luck? They are hidden nods to popular sci-fi, as Twinkie said, hidden tracks on an album that shouldn't be factored into the final review.

And I hope you see the difference between a *single* *special* *random* encounter and a three hour add on *entirely dedicated to aliens*.

How the World Began and Ended in a Day

by TwinkieGorilla

Comedian: *proceeds to tell jokes*

Kjarista: wtf, i hate you!

Andy Kaufman: *conceptual comedy career*

Kjarista: wtf, i don't get it, i hate you!

Todd Howard: *creates really corny game with juvenile humor*

Kjarista: heh, thass pretty kewl i guess. i mean, it's ok. *shrugs*

World: *laughs*

Kjarista: *frowns*

But the DLC is an extra too, no?

and ZOOOOOOOOM the point flies right over your head like an ALIEN SPACESHIP OMGWTF!!!!1!

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

I've no clue what arguing about easter eggs belonging to canon has with the failings of the games, but as you will. The special encounters or easter eggs are thrown in for a lark, sometimes too much, and as others have said they're not in the canon. But then again, who cares about canon these days, stupid nerds. Heh.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

Pft are you new to the internet ? :) If there's any to get a rise out of, it'll be done.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

It amazes me that some people who seem to hate F3 with a passion even bother to pay attention to the DLC. Maybe even play the DLC... :ermm:

If it bothers you so much just ignore it. Like I do with Fallout 2. :)

everything i hate i ignore because makes me sad. sadland is sad. where is party hat? oh! inside Bethesda game on skeleton, lol! i go back there now ok bye!

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Uh, because they are special encounters meant to be discovered only by characters with exceptional luck? They are hidden nods to popular sci-fi, as Twinkie said, hidden tracks on an album that shouldn't be factored into the final review.

And I hope you see the difference between a *single* *special* *random* encounter and a three hour add on *entirely dedicated to aliens*.

No, I do not see the difference. Either way...any way, they are IN game and OOC. At least when they are DLC a player can simply not use them. We had no option in FO2.

No, I do not see the difference. Either way...any way, they are IN game and OOC. At least when they are DLC a player can simply not use them. We had no option in FO2.

The only one you couldn't walk out of was the Monthy Python Bridge.

Edited by Oner

We had no option in FO2.

Outdoorsman skill allows you to avoid them no ? There's one option.

We had no option in FO2.

So I'm forced to take a skill I might otherwise not want to take, just to avoid immersion breaking OOC real world references?

You're the one saying there was no option. So yes, if you wish to avoid the easter eggs you can, or just ignore them. In any case you're not necessarily compelled or guaranteed to experience any given easter egg.

Edited by Malcador

It amazes me that some people who seem to hate F3 with a passion even bother to pay attention to the DLC. Maybe even play the DLC... :shifty:

Why do you think we're not paying attention to the dlc?

It amazes me that some people who seem to hate F3 with a passion even bother to pay attention to the DLC. Maybe even play the DLC... :shifty:

You like Fallout. But Ignore Fallout 2. But like Fallout 3.

Try harder.

Fallout's physics operate in a different way, allowing for ghouls and deathclaws, but that doesn't undermine logic and sensibility.
How is that NOT both silly AND a plot device???

Because it'd create cognitive dissonance otherwise.

Fallout and Fallout 2 had aliens aswell.. and Dr Who.... and a godzilla footprint. And I just saw a screenshot with a crashed Star Trek shuttle. So dont come talking about how MZ breaks with the Fo setting.

Those are random special encounters, thoroughly non-canon.

The term for this is rationalization.

We had no option in FO2.

So I'm forced to take a skill I might otherwise not want to take, just to avoid immersion breaking OOC real world references?

You're the one saying there was no option. So yes, if you wish to avoid the easter eggs you can, or just ignore them. In any case you're not necessarily compelled or guaranteed to experience any given easter egg.

Because I'm sure that's what people did when they got the popup "You see a man guarding a bridge."

Because I'm sure that's what people did when they got the popup "You see a man guarding a bridge."

And that changes the fact that you have an option how, exactly ? Frankly if they wanted to say this has backing canon, they should do better than easter eggs. But then again...

Edited by Malcador

Fallout and Fallout 2 had aliens aswell.. and Dr Who.... and a godzilla footprint. And I just saw a screenshot with a crashed Star Trek shuttle. So dont come talking about how MZ breaks with the Fo setting.

Those are random special encounters, thoroughly non-canon.

The term for this is rationalization.

Okay fine, waiting for the Dr. Who/Godzilla crossover dlc, then.

:)

The point is that the universe is filled with mountains of **** like that. Getting on Fallout 3's case for doing some of the same stuff that Fallout 1 and 2 did is just stupid.

The Fallout writers and creators had fun making their universe doing weird stupid stuff that didn't exactly fit in with the rest of their universe. To say it's stupid for Fallout 3, but conveniently just a random encounter in Fallout 1 and 2 is inconsistent.

Of course, cognitive dissonance will prevent people from admitting that, lest it tarnishes the near immaculate image the game has in the eyes of some people. This kind of reminds me when an interviewer from the Codex started arguing with Chris Avellone himself about the awesomeness of Planescape: Torment when Chris had some critical comments about it.

The point is that the universe is filled with mountains of **** like that. Getting on Fallout 3's case for doing some of the same stuff that Fallout 1 and 2 did is just stupid.

The Fallout writers and creators had fun making their universe doing weird stupid stuff that didn't exactly fit in with the rest of their universe. To say it's stupid for Fallout 3, but conveniently just a random encounter in Fallout 1 and 2 is inconsistent.

Having replayed both classics recently, I can safely say that your argument is manure of the finest sort. Gee, you should start a fertilizer farm.

"Mountains of stupid ****" are usually limited to unique, one time encounters. They are special encounters, easter eggs, not part of the normal gameplay. Fallout 1 and (to a much lesser degree) Fallout 2 aimed to create a coherent, living world that made sense, not to be a patchwork of teh kewl elements that make little sense when put together.

Fallout 3 is exactly that, it doesn't even try to create a convincing world, it's just cobbled together without much to combine the elements.

To illustrate, what ties does Rivet City have to the rest of the wasteland? What does Megaton produce, where does it get its food? How exactly did Canterbury Commons survive without defenses of any sort? Why does it claim to be a major trading outpost when it has nothing to offer to traders? Where does Tenpenny get supplies? Where Paradise Falls gets their slaves? And that's just off the top of my head.

In Fallout and Fallout 2 these questions rarely (if ever) surfaced. The cities were developed and interconnected, the world was a consistent place and made immersing myself in the world easy.