F3: Mothership Zeta screens & short article

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/100/1003434p1.html

"players get beamed aboard an alien spaceship. There, they'll meet new characters, both from the Wasteland and Earth's past"

Ok, so no actual mention of Elvis in the article. Think about it though. Elvis portrait in the original Fallout... 'meet characters from Earth's past'...

I'm rather hopeful for this DLC as each one has progressively been better than the last.

Edited by GreasyDogMeat

If the Steam version of F3 works with the Fallout Mod Manager then you should be able to get the DLC off of Games for Windows Live and FOMM will move it to a place where it can be compatible with the game.

At least I think it will.

Also it makes me sad that we'll be seeing the earth from space not from B.O.M.B II, but from an alien spaceship.

I wonder if you can see the moon colony as well.

Edited by Pop

Has Van Buren been considered canon by Beth or have they just taken bits & pieces they liked and used them? Almost no one (including the devs of the first two Fallout games) consider BoS canon but Beth have also taken elements from that game, including the mini nukes and the design of the hunting rifle.

I'm pumped about getting Samurai armor.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

I like Fallout 3 but I won't be getting this. They overstepped their bounds with this alien nonsense. The crashed alien ship easter egg was questionable, but this is too much. I'll stick with the apocalyptic Earth stuff.

War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength

Baldur's Gate modding
TeamBG
Baldur's Gate modder/community leader
Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition beta tester
Baldur's Gate 2 - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Icewind Dale - Enhanced Edition beta tester

Was there ever a solution for getting DLC on a Steam install of F03? I enjoyed the game well enough but since I can't buy the DLC through Steam, I don't know how complicated it is to get it working.

DLC is compatible with the steam version, it's just stored in a hidden folder in the FO3 directory (if purchased.)

But if you're like me and many others and think GoW is total horse**** and not worth the reduced framerate, the DLC files can be placed in the data folder.

Edited by Syraxis

I like Fallout 3 but I won't be getting this. They overstepped their bounds with this alien nonsense. The crashed alien ship easter egg was questionable, but this is too much. I'll stick with the apocalyptic Earth stuff.

Same here. This just seems like too far fetched. For some reason.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

The original Fallouts had robots with human brains for heads.

Come on guys, it's genre stuff. Like, you can't be a champion of Cronenberg films and then claim that you don't really like horror because Cronenberg is "different". Fallout is sci-fi of a sort, and it has all kinds of throwbacks to cheesy Cold War **** - Necropolis was almost straight out of I Am Legend, radiation made ordinary creatures grow huge in size, the robobrains, evil computers. I'm reading the jab that Bethsoft is placating the 10-year olds in its audience and my mind is boggled because I ****ing loved Fallout when I was 10 (got it for Christmas) because of all the gore and edginess but also because it was good sci-fi fantasy - it created a world that really captured my imagination. I find it kind of sad that people have chosen to look past that part of Fallout and instead have intellectualized it to the point where the ridiculous **** can't be a part of the game, it all has to be some grim exercise in RPG design philosophy. Fallout is great but it's not the Brothers Karamazov. It's ****ing Jaws.

Yeah, that's my take also. I mean, the alien aspect in particular doesn't appeal to me, but the idea that aliens are too goofy for Fallout sounds kind of hollow. I don't mind it being goofy. I worry about it getting to be a big part of the backstory 'cause I think it does detract from the essential gritty wasteland feel. If there's some way to indulge in the aliens idea without making it a center piece of future games, I'm all for it. ...And, of course, I could play it and really like it. There is no argument like success. *shrug*

Fallout is great but it's not the Brothers Karamazov. It's ****ing Jaws.

I'd be willing to accept any level of sillyness in Fallout, if it was done in a witty way like in Fallout 2. But if Fallout is "Jaws", then Fallout 3 feels more like "Scary Movie".

Also, i'm happy they're finally done with the DLCs. Maybe now the Omerta concerning New Vegas will be lifted...

Edited by Ziggy the Atomic Granpa

If he didn't have the suit on, I'd have thought it was this lackluster looking alien FPS. I'm not of the mind that aliens are too goofy for Fallout, but this is a bit setting breaking, and cliche as hell for a game - "ooh the alien menace will wipe out humanity!". Frankly, given the state of the world in 2277, I'm not sure there's much left to kill off...

I eagerly await the Godzilla DLC, when you control Freedom Magnus to save the DC area.

As an aside, they really need to make another X-COM game.

Why has elegance found so little following? Elegance has the disadvantage that hard work is needed to achieve it and a good education to appreciate it. - Edsger Wybe Dijkstra

You know, with Point Lookout and now this, it's like Bethesda doesn't even really care about the Fallout franchise anymore. Why did they even buy the right's to Fallout when they are now completely ignoring it all together now?

They should have just made a game called Capitol Wasteland.

Edited by Jaesun

You know, with Point Lookout and now this, it's like Bethesda doesn't even really care about the Fallout franchise anymore. Why did they even buy the right's to Fallout when they are now completely ignoring it all together now?

They should have just made a game called Capitol Wasteland.

QFT.

i really don't get why they needed the Fallout name to do all this bull****. it's not like 95% of the kids out there buying this game even knew what Fallout was in the first place.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

I thought it was clear from stuff like the android quest that the approach in Fallout 3 was to treat the setting as a kind of generic genre backdrop into which you could insert any sci-fi story.

i took out all the unnecessary words

And missed the point completly..

I thought it was clear from stuff like the android quest that the approach in Fallout 3 was to treat the setting as a kind of generic genre backdrop into which you could insert any sci-fi story.

I think this is really their approach to any game and setting, it seems to me that they are much more interested in what's fun and cool and not so much if it all fits together. Now alot of bad can be said about that, but there are some companies that forget their games need to be playable and not just have a coherent and good idea. Both approaches are bad, but the former at least works.

Fortune favors the bald.