Hurlie's Summer Trip

Hurlshort

I'm fascinated by anything to do with parenting round about now. If you keep her entertained is she quite good on holiday? Or does she complain tonnes? It's basically teh male version of broody, which is equivalent to the enthusiasm you feel about going up on the roof to fix a leak in a storm. You just feel its something you HAVE to do eventually.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

What in holy hell are you talkin' 'bout, Walsh? Good Lord, man!

I mean, the kid looks like a sweetie, but I know kids. You love 'em, but they still drive you batty. ...And they get in moods! Still, having the gaming system in your ride has to help keep the kid preoccupied during boring parts of the trip.

I wonder about those gaming systems. I don't understand what I'd be like today if i hadn't been forced to keep myself amused for hours and hours getting into fights with my siblings.

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

@Hurlshot: Awesome pics, keep em coming. I didnt even know we had 13th century castles in the US, I shall have to research Hovenweep Castle.

@Wals: A funny thing happens when you have your own kids, you become immune to their annoyances as it just becomes part of everyday life. That and kids are awesome little mini-you's that you get to watch learn and grow. I highly recommend it.

I took the "infinite patience" trait a few levels back and it has helped when dealing with a child. I actually just find it easy to deal with young children, I even taught kindergarten for a year. I'm much more worried about taking a teenager on vacation, but my wife teaches High School so we have the spectrum covered.

Skylar is two, and she has her tantrums. She is very good in public, in fact we went to a nice restaurant last night and she was just an angel (and we go to dinner early to avoid the crowds.) But then we got home and she was bouncing off the walls causing trouble. She was really just tired and cranky after a long day, so after an hour of fussing she fell asleep. She has actually been asleep for about 10 hours at this point, so I think we wore her out pretty well. That's the key with the young ones, keep them active.

Day 8 - We relaxed in town today and took my daughter swimming, which is her new favorite word.

img2219e.jpg

Tomorrow we head for Salt Lake City. I bought a 12-pack from Ska Brewing that was supposed to have 10-pin porter, which taks recommended. It was a combination pack with 4 different beers, but for some reason the Porter wasn't in there! That's ok, so far the others are very good anyways.

Now I'm bbq-ing some fresh salmon :D

Thanks, bro. I can't really drink much anymore and I just got home from a horrid meal at my outlaws. Of course, they gave me a check for my 40th birthday and they clearly went out of their way to be nice to me, so I can't complain. :D

Anyhow, have fun in Salt Lake. I went to the Temple there not long ago out of curiosity. I even had them send me a book of Mormon and talked to the guys about it when they delivered it for a long time. I think they finally left when they realized I had no intention of converting, but all around decent guys.

If you get a chance to hit the Temple, you might find it interesting. I did. What was most funny to me is that I went with a friend who has Mormon relatives. I thought it was most amusing that the tour guides for two guys in their early thirties were two pretty girls in their mid-twenties. Coincidence? I think not! ...But I had fun and thought it was quite informative.

The only problem for you is that you might not want to have religion talks with the kidling and she'd probably find it boring and therefore fuss.

I'm really hoping to find out some family history in the hall of records they have there. I hear it is fantastic, and I've had trouble getting information out of my dad's side of my family. People are always asking about my last name, and I'd like to be able to answer some day.

That would be a good stop, then. The people at Temple were friendly and helpful. I mean, yeah, they were clearly hoping for converts, but weren't rude when I said I was a Catholic who didn't intend to change religions. Anyhow, it's their Temple. I expect them to proselytize. I'd go there again if I had the chance. A lot of interesting stuff. Hope you have fun!

@Wals: A funny thing happens when you have your own kids, you become immune to their annoyances as it just becomes part of everyday life. That and kids are awesome little mini-you's that you get to watch learn and grow. I highly recommend it.

minime.jpg

-Elwood Blues

An artistic, yet scientific rendition of how my children will actually be.

-Elwood Blues

is it bad i don't know whats going on there? :'(

plz forgive me wals

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Day 9 - We made the drive to Salt Lake city, which was very impressive. There were a ton of great red rocks all around, and I think I'll have to stay in the town of Moab next time, as it seems to be an adventure's paradise. Rock climbing, off-roading, river rafting, sky diving, you name it and I saw a sign for it! We saw a few of the great arches, and we even climbed up to one here:

img2224t.jpg

My wife drove for a couple hours today too, her first time driving the RV. It was extremely nice to be able to sleep in the back while someone else knocked out a hundred miles. Tomorrow we start exploring Salt Lake City.

Looks like a great and fun trip, thanks for sharing it with us.

But I have to mention that as of this moment, at least, a few of what I assume to be photos are only displaying a giant ImageShack "Proudly presents" Anti-sec Movement (whtever that is) wall-of-text image.

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

Man, Hurlshot, you should charge all these voyeurs here money for being on the trip with you :p

A great travelling journal :banghead:

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

is it bad i don't know whats going on there? :'(

plz forgive me wals

It's the mini me in a baby carriage, with a pipe. He is being attacked by a wild dog that is top left, just like I was.

-Elwood Blues

Hey, bro, I'm in Mesquite even as I write. We plan on heading to Utah this weekend, but I'm really looking forward to seeing Valley of Fire and Lake Mead again. Good stuff! Keep the pictures coming.

...And when I see trailers now, I look at the driver to see if it's you, although I think you're in Northern Utah if I recall correctly.

Day 10 - We forgot the camera, so no pictures today. I went to the Family History place in Salt Lake City, and found out some fascinating information on a grandmother I knew little about. Her parents were both on their second marriage and in their 40's when they had her, and her roots go back to England in 1874 on one side and the 1700's on the other. Unfortunately I'm at a dead end with one of my grandfather's, and the other was adopted. I might go back to try again in a couple days.

Other than that, we converted to the Mormon church, praise Jesus.

Ok, not really, but boy is this the place to do it!

Ok, I skipped Day 11 because my wife and I were just exhausted and we pretty much laid around all day at the Park clubhouse doing laundry. I did finish a 500 piece puzzle, only to find out one piece was missing. We needed to rest up for the next day anyways...

Day 12 - We decided to go to Timpanogos Caves, which is not too far from Salt Lake City. The brochure said it is a 1 1/2 mile hike up to the cave from the road, which seemed easy enough. But it was a bit strenuous when you add in the little munch-kin that I carried up.

img2244w.jpg

I was sweating pretty heavily up the trail, and my wife muttered a few divorce scenarios behind me, but it was well worth it when we reached the top. The view was outstanding, we really did climb a lot of feet up, and the caves was nice and cool. It was a nice long cave that stretched maybe half a mile. You have to go with a Ranger, and ours was a bit lame, but we still enjoyed it. Skylar had some issues with the dark, but I gave her my headlamp and she grew a bit more confident.

img2230y.jpg

The way back down was easier, although Skylar was wiped out at that point and did her best to sleep on my shoulders.

img2243.jpg

It was a great hike, and I think we are going to head out to a Brewery as a reward for our efforts.

It was a great hike, and I think we are going to head out to a Brewery as a reward for our efforts.

Sounds like that is well deserved :verymad:

Heh, 499 piece puzzles... don't mention them ;)

“He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would surely suffice.” - Albert Einstein

Ok, I skipped Day 11 because my wife and I were just exhausted and we pretty much laid around all day at the Park clubhouse doing laundry. I did finish a 500 piece puzzle, only to find out one piece was missing. We needed to rest up for the next day anyways...

Day 12 - We decided to go to Timpanogos Caves, which is not too far from Salt Lake City. The brochure said it is a 1 1/2 mile hike up to the cave from the road, which seemed easy enough. But it was a bit strenuous when you add in the little munch-kin that I carried up.

img2244w.jpg

I was sweating pretty heavily up the trail, and my wife muttered a few divorce scenarios behind me, but it was well worth it when we reached the top. The view was outstanding, we really did climb a lot of feet up, and the caves was nice and cool. It was a nice long cave that stretched maybe half a mile. You have to go with a Ranger, and ours was a bit lame, but we still enjoyed it. Skylar had some issues with the dark, but I gave her my headlamp and she grew a bit more confident.

img2230y.jpg

The way back down was easier, although Skylar was wiped out at that point and did her best to sleep on my shoulders.

img2243.jpg

isn't that incline REALLY REALLY steep too? *thinks he remembers the climb and hurting all the way up and down because the slope was so steep*

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.