New video: Gametrailer's 'Global Conspiracy' walkthrough

You think there is some conspiracy out there or something? That people are making the comparison for no good reason? They make the comparison because they see similarities. And the fact so many people are comparing AP specifically to ME should make you pause and reconsider your position, that maybe there's something obvious that everyone else sees and you're just missing because you don't want to see it.

Nah. It's other people who should get a good taste and finally play Deus Ex and Bloodlines.

20795.jpg

Nice try, but no. Last time I checked almost all skills in Mass Effect were geared towards killing as many things as possible, as fast as possible. Alpha Protocol adds a lot of ways to avoid direct confrontation and knock enemies out without killing them. Ergo, it's closer to Deus Ex and Bloodlines.

20795.jpg

Why not compare Alpha Protocol to Meter Gear Solid while you're at it.

Personally, I am getting an MGS vibe off this game, more than anything. I think this is what the Obs devs were aiming for from the start, but with a dose of the 3 JBs too. I mean, hey, not all game characters should feel like Snake Plisken.

So, we've done that already.

[quote name='H

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

ME is a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. AP is going to be a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. Some of the interface screens have superficial similarities. ME was very popular and is a year to two years old, depending on platform. Deus Ex is nearly a decade old. Bloodlines never sold well, from my understanding of things. While there may be elements of games that are a more relevant comparison, is there really any question why AP is attracting ME comparisons.

Of course not. I'm questioning the legitimacy of the comparisons, not their origin.

20795.jpg

ME is a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. AP is going to be a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. Some of the interface screens have superficial similarities. ME was very popular and is a year to two years old, depending on platform. Deus Ex is nearly a decade old. Bloodlines never sold well, from my understanding of things. While there may be elements of games that are a more relevant comparison, is there really any question why AP is attracting ME comparisons. They have similarities and ME is still fresh in the minds of a lot of people, and more so with it's sequel coming up.

And this invalidates what H

The point is, it still wasn't marketed as an RPG, nor had the developers intended to create a full blown RPG with DX.

I don't care about marketing and/or Ion Storm's intentions. I'm talking about the final product.

20795.jpg

The gameplay in DX wasn't revolved around Roleplaying. It was mission-based, not quest-based. And while there were some events where you could make a decision, it was hardly a real RPG.

It was just that. A FPS with lots of options. But then again, in these days, so many functions are merging together. It won't really matter anymore whether a game is a FPS or an RPG or whatever, since all genres are capable to give us Roleplaying with choices & consequences. It's not a genere in itself anymore, but just another layer of gameplay mechanics. That in DX was so thin that I'd hardly call it an RPG. It was a FPS with a very thin layer of Roleplaying, how about that? Happy?

It was just that. A FPS with lots of options. But then again, in these days, so many functions are merging together. It won't really matter anymore whether a game is a FPS or an RPG or whatever, since all genres are capable to give us Roleplaying with choices & consequences.

Thank you.

It was just that. A FPS with lots of options. But then again, in these days, so many functions are merging together. It won't really matter anymore whether a game is a FPS or an RPG or whatever, since all genres are capable to give us Roleplaying with choices & consequences.

Thank you.

:(

Fooled myself.

But take it as whatever it is. I'm still not buying DX as a full blown RPG.

ME is a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. AP is going to be a third-person-shooter-style action RPG. Some of the interface screens have superficial similarities. ME was very popular and is a year to two years old, depending on platform. Deus Ex is nearly a decade old. Bloodlines never sold well, from my understanding of things. While there may be elements of games that are a more relevant comparison, is there really any question why AP is attracting ME comparisons. They have similarities and ME is still fresh in the minds of a lot of people, and more so with it's sequel coming up.

And this invalidates what H

I'm going to need better directions than "the secret lair."

-==(UDIC)==-

I think I opened Pandora's Box here and I don't mean to offend anyone by what I am going to say next. As always, this is my opinion. Let's start from my earliest comments about this walktrhough.

I started off saying that I got an MGS vibe from it. I'm not comparing the actual game or gameplay mechanics. I'm commenting on the 'feel' I'm getting. The whole idea of Mike teaming up with Sie, then having a mini boss fight with her, that reminded me a lot of MGS. Sure it isn't the only game or game series to do something like that and it probably won't be the last one, but MGS had interesting characters and, quite often, great dialogues. I can see that in this walkthrough. I'm sorry if I am 'amnesiac' to a game that feels a lot more like what was portrayed here than MGS, it doesn't mean you are wrong in any way, or I might even not have played the game you have in mind, but this is what vibe it gives off to me, OK?

Yes, I fear that the ME comparisons of AP will be right and we'll get the same thing but without blue alien chicks to have sex with. You might say that ME was a great game, and I will agree for the most part, but there were so many flaws in ME. Like exploring nearly impossible to traverse planets for minerals/artifacts/medallions/whatever, it gets so tedious having to climb the 30th mountain. The identical looking caves/spaceships/bunkers/whatever just with crates placed around differently, variety people!

The dialogue with Sovereign. MY GOD! Your dialogue options were 1 actually useful choice and 2 that made me feel like a complete idiot. Like 'How many Rippers are there?' Well, there's me, then there's Chuck, Larry, David, but he gets wasted all the time so I'm counting him out ... oh, and Steve, you're gonna love Steve, man, he's frigging HILARIOUS! I mean seriously, what kind of answer was Shepard expecting? At best Sovereign would answer with 'We are Legion' or something like that. At least the answer would have sounded cool. It's supposed to play a major part in the story And don't get me started on the boss fight with Saren! I mean, you kill him and then he gets resurrected WITH SCIENCE!!!??? I mean seriously, that was the ending of the Street Fighter movie! Who thought THAT was a good idea? And FFS! THE OVERHEAT BUG! Though that's mostly Demiurge's fault, it's been over a year since the game was released for the PC, FIX IT ALREADY!

As far as Deus Ex and VtM:Bloodlines go, both great games, great atmosphere, great game mechanics, the latter bugged as hell though, while the first one is labeled by most as 'more like an FPS than an RPG'. I would agree that at it's time, Deus Ex was considered an FPS, but if the same game was released today, it would clearly be viewed as an FPS/RPG, though critisised for it's lacking dialogue options. Bloodlines is one of my favorite RPGs ever. It's buggy, but I love it. More games should be like these two.

I like what I've seen from AP this far, I really really do. I remember making a post about a year ago on wether AP will have the ability to 'move' gamers like MGS4 moved me. Even if you say that MGS4 sucked or you felt nothing, it did it for me, and AP seems to be doing it again. I have trust on the Obs stuff that they will pull off greatness on every story telling aspect of the game and it looks like they are pulling through withat too. OK, I must admit that I suck at mini games, so not really looking forward to hacking and lockpicking etc. but game mechanics, like the 'environmental solutions' WOW, just ... just WOW! I mean, usually in RPGs, you got zerged, you fired at a conveniently placed barrel, it blew up, you moved on, right? In AP, you find yourself in a bind, you can bring a whole building down! That's bad ass!

You should be able to make that propane tank explode with your fists. Then you could say you punched a whole building down. Would be awesome and you'd probably get a perk for it.

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"