Unusual Names

Monte Carlo

Hmmm, some names of people I've met or heard about from co-workers over the past 20 years, off the top of my head:

Trivia

Vulva

Lemonjello

Orangejello

Argasm (pronounced Orgasm)

No-one is called Vulva, except in the TV series Spaced.

Her real name's Ian. :(

Sadly, my meeting Vulva predated Spaced by 19 years.

Edited by Amentep

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

*in health class* "Now girls THIS is your vulva"

"That's not me!"

"..."

do we need to dig up the Mind of Mencia clip for this which includes usnavy?

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

creative names is nifty for parents, but often you is simply consigning your child to needless teasing and potential beatings. have never understood those folks who decides to name their son Rainbow Moonbeam Sparklenaut... or somesuch. thankful is typical only the hollywood people who do this kinda thing nowadays.

have always liked the names Grace & Catherine for girlies and Gabriel or Michael for boys... but as Gromnir's gift to the universe is to avoid producing progeny...

we knew a guy named Buddie Friend... honest. also knew a person with name Forey Duckett... named Forey 'cause he were birthed in delivery room 4-A.

is sometimes easy to tell which folks shoulda' never been permitted to procreate.

HA! Good Fun!

ps have never understood the jack=john bit.

"If there be time to expose through discussion the falsehood and fallacies, to avert the evil by the processes of education, the remedy to be applied is more speech, not enforced silence."Justice Louis Brandeis, Concurring, Whitney v. California, 274 U.S. 357 (1927)

"Im indifferent to almost any murder as long as it doesn't affect me or mine."--Gfted1 (September 30, 2019)

Sadly, my meeting Vulva predated Spaced by 19 years.

That is sad. Spaced is great. (I only saw it for the first time last week)

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I have heard in southern Finland there lives an old lady named Naima Kolo. Her last name is somewhat unusual, and her first name has gone out of fashion if it ever was popular in the first place. But there is nothing wrong in those names as such. It is only when they are put together that they bear the unfortunate connotation of

Edited by Balthamael

I once attempted memetic assassination on a fellow I didn't like at school. I began bandying around the notion that his surname was actually the proper original term for an item of pubic horticulture. It is still my fond hope that this can be achieved and his children will be as badly bullied as he handed it out.

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

Pubic horticulture? Haha :D Would you mind telling us that name, if need be in a disguised kind of way?

ps have never understood the jack=john bit.
I always assumed Jack was short for "Jacob"?

Anyway, Sparklenaut is a great name and if I wouldn't abhor the very idea of being partly responsible for one more human on earth, I would name it Sparklenaut :)

Edited by samm

Citizen of a country with a racist, hypocritical majority

I always assumed Jack was short for "Jacob"?

perhaps, but it is also "short" for john, which has never made sense to me, either.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

According to behindthename.com

JACK

Usage: English

Pronounced: JAK [key]

Derived from Jackin (earlier Jankin), a medieval diminutive of JOHN. It has long been regarded as an independent name. During the Middle Ages it was very common, and it became a slang word meaning "man". It was frequently used in fairy tales and nursery rhymes, such as 'Jack and the Beanstalk', 'Little Jack Horner', and 'Jack Sprat'. American writers Jack London (1876-1916) and Jack Kerouac (1922-1969) were two famous bearers of this name.

So it goes like John -> Jankin ->Jackin ->Jack

Edited by Balthamael

People I've met with unfortunate names..

Tith Strange (not good when going to England/America)

Randy Digger (also not so great in England)

Harry Fungos (yeah.. he was from Denver)

Fanny (and she had a fine one)

John Knepper (American guy.. his names means "John has sex" in Danish)

Fortune favors the bald.

Thanks for the info on Jack! And yeah, Adrian Wanker :lol: another player was called Mark Streit (quarrel). I also find indian names amusing, like Tharamakulasingam Submaraniam (random name found on google), they remind me of dragon names in DnD. Then there are poor people like Uwe Schwanz-Nagel (Uwe d***-nail), or lucky ones like Fabienne H

Edited by samm

I like the name Sean O'Shaunessy

Hey now, my mother is huge and don't you forget it. The drunk can't even get off the couch to make herself a vodka drenched sandwich. Octopus suck.

In primary school, our teacher - who never used our short names but always insisted that full names sound more serious - wouldn't believe that two brothers called Phil and Nick (of American decent) really are called only that: Phil wasn't for Phillip, Nick not for Nicholas. I think he called them Phillip and Nicholas throughout the three years in his class despite their protests :lol:

I call my students all sorts of odd things. It's the only way I can really remember who they are, by butchering the name is some way.

I used to call a student Jesus. He always got perfect scores and was extremely patient with the other students. He also vaguely looked like a painting of Jesus we looked at during a Renaissance unit. He's in High School now and the nickname has apparently stuck.

There is a very likely chance that I will be the first target if we have a school shooting though.

yeah, I'd just stick with, "kid" or "hey you!"

I remember one 13 year old said, "I'm not a kid anymore! I'm a teen!" hahaha

I remember one student came up to me to ask if I would buy one of her cookie dough containers for a school fundraiser. I held up my hand and said, "wait!" She looked at me. I said, "are you talking about the dough from the fund raiser?" She smiled and said yes. "Do you have the large size?" She nodded. "Do you have it in peanut butter?" She got excited and assured me she did. "Sorry, I'm not interested."

Oh, was she soooo mad at me. I don't know that I've ever had a student look at me with so much rage before or since. Of course, I did end up buying the cookie dough from her, so it was okay in the end, but I honestly think she was planning something dire until I laughed and said that I'd order some from her.

Her name was Caitlin Kunz. She was not unpopular, so folks didn't kid her about her name, but one time someone called her Caitlin ****.

My maiden last name, which unfortunately I'm not going to reveal here, was something I never quite grew out of disliking (my brother eventually came to terms with it) and thus was very glad to be rid of it when I married.

Re: name shortening - I understand the shortening of names verbally, because I'm syllable lazy, but stuff like "Bob" from "Robert" or "****" from "Richard" doesn't make sense. Richard...Rich. Logical. The other...not so much. But I don't know where the lineage of such names comes from, so...

“Things are as they are. Looking out into the universe at night, we make no comparisons between right and wrong stars, nor between well and badly arranged constellations.” – Alan Watts

i think jake is actually short for jacob, btw.

taks

I was aware of that one, but that wouldn't rule out Jack being short for Jacob, too. See the Rich / **** issue, Will / Bill, Rob / Bob etc., why not Jack / Jake.

My maiden last name, which unfortunately I'm not going to reveal here, was something I never quite grew out of disliking (my brother eventually came to terms with it) and thus was very glad to be rid of it when I married.

really? hmm, seems a strange concept to me. there are probably less than 20 people in the world with my last name, so i'm fond of it (there is another use of the name - unrelated to my family - that has mysterious origins). however, i guess if your last name was something like pillowbiter or babypuppykiller i can see your point.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

Sometimes a foreign name alone, no matter if it sounds anything like a word in a more usual language, is a heavy burden to carry. Kids with extraorinary names are targets immediately.