When I play through the game a second time...

Will I be forced to go through the tutorial? Because it really sucks to have to drag yourself through the tutorial every time you want to start a new game.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

I, for one, am hoping that the tutorial is fun *and* informative.

It doesn't matter how fun the tutorial is, it's a bitch to play through the fifteenth time.

I don't post if I don't have anything to say, which I guess makes me better than the rest of your so-called "community." 8)

Don't hold me to this, because things often change in game development, but if I had to compare it to anything, it's a bit like NWN2. There's a portion of it that you have to go through (as it's integral to setting up the story), but the bulk of the technical stuff (learning about firing weapons, using gadgets, etc.) can be skipped.

Matthew Rorie

Obsidian appears to be pretty good about making the tutorials skippable. Not sure why they would break the pattern for this game.

"Art and song are creations but so are weapons and lies"

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

I, for one, am hoping that the tutorial is fun *and* informative.

It doesn't matter how fun the tutorial is, it's a bitch to play through the fifteenth time.

Can I just point out the fallacy of uttering the phrase "it doesn't matter how fun" something is?

I'd rather have the first level of the game with some optional control-scheme prompts than a tutorial level, if that makes sense.

I'd rather have the first level of the game with some optional control-scheme prompts than a tutorial level, if that makes sense.
Okku's burrow from MotB?

"Our worst enemies are inventions of the mind. Pleasure. Fear. When we see them for what they are, we become unstoppable."

Okku's burrow from MotB?

I suppose that's the idea in principle, though I don't recall Okku's burrow standing out as particularly fun. Then again, that may be traceable to my general disdain for straightforward dungeon hacking.

I suppose that's the idea in principle, though I don't recall Okku's burrow standing out as particularly fun. Then again, that may be traceable to my general disdain for straightforward dungeon hacking.

You're right. It wasn't particularly "fun", however I do think it did a great job of setting up the story. My 2 cents.

Hopefully it involves astromech droids.

Dunno, I found the KotOR2 tutorial level pretty good at setting things up. Controlling an astromech droid, patching the place up... it was fun enough, and short.

Anyway, both KotOR2 and NWN2 gave you the opportunity to skip these tutorial sections if you wished to, so I wouldn't worry about it. I wouldn't count Okku's Barrow as a tutorial level though; it's a prologue.

Edited by fastpunk

"We do not quit playing because we grow old, we grow old because we quit playing." - Oliver Wendell Holmes

Well, skipping the KOTOR2 tutorial was like getting out of the frying pan and into the fire. Peragus got pretty old fast. Whether you call it a continuation of the tutorial or a prologue, it's a part at the beginning of the game that drags down the pacing and bores people trying a bunch of different characters.

I don't think this is inherently part of a mandatory first level. As long as it flows quickly and is relevant to what occurs for the rest of the game such a level should be fine. With Peragus, Irenicus' Dungeon, etc., it felt like developers were trying to ease me into the gameplay with a lengthy and hand-holding experience. This became unnecessary after the first playthrough.

I do agree that, unless the mandatory intro portion is one of the coolest segments in the game (which I hope it is), it should be kept short. Regardless (yet somewhat dependent) of length, I hope it's enjoyable each time.

Peragus got pretty old fast.
:teehee:

Peragus is my favorite part of the game.

Really? No, I mean, seriously?

I wouldn't lie to you.

If they had made it darker with more flickering lights or something like that, a bit more like System Shock sort of horror, it'd have worked really well.

Edited by WILL THE ALMIGHTY

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"

Telos was even worse.

Will there be a Telos in this game?

"Alright, I've been thinking. When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade - make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn lemons, what am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life's manager. Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons. Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! With the lemons. I'm going to to get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!"