Velvet Assassin comes out this week.

Heh, I might still get this game, no matter the review. I was looking forward to it as I'm a huge WWII history buff.

Heck, I played Frank Herbert's Dune which got horribly reviews everywhere, but I still managed to finish it (even moderately enjoy it) despite the game's problems simply because I'm a huge Dune fan.

Both the Dune RTS and adventure game are pretty highly rated these days. Heck, I played Arthur C Clarke's Rama adventure game and liked it...

Well here's a quick summary so far:

The Good:

+Plays well on older systems

+Interesting Story (so far; the opening was great as was the first level)

+Once you re-map a few things the controls are not that bad

+The killing moves are cool

+The Nazis are Nazis even though it's a German game

+Looks decent

+Combat is challenging

The Bad:

-You cannot save

-The default controls can be annoying

-Feels like a game that was ported to Steam at the last moment

-Steam is required

-The killing moves can sometimes be finicky

"Geez. It's like we lost some sort of bet and ended up saddled with a bunch of terrible new posters on this forum."

-Hurlshot

I actually looked up Vioette Szabo on Wikipedia after they said it was based on her. You must've been pretty good to have a game based on you sixty years later after your heroic death.

How I have existed fills me with horror. For I have failed in everything - spelling, arithmetic, riding, tennis, golf; dancing, singing, acting; wife, mistress, whore, friend. Even cooking. And I do not excuse myself with the usual escape of 'not trying'. I tried with all my heart.

In my dreams, I am not crippled. In my dreams, I dance.

I tried it for about an hour. Technicly, it doesnt seem so bad but it is quite uninteresting. I dont know why, but there was nothing to motivate me to continue playing.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I tried it for about an hour. Technicly, it doesnt seem so bad but it is quite uninteresting. I dont know why, but there was nothing to motivate me to continue playing.

That's too bad, I'm surprised you bought it then.

Here's a screen showing the "upgrade" portion of the game*:

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/Arandie/replay2009-05-0221-17-26-80.jpg[ /img]

*You gain XP by discovering secrets.

Awesome selection of skills, Bioware would be proud.

I like how they mixed up classical skills with the unorthodox morphine. Is the leather-clad heroine also a druggie?

Edited by Purkake

Kaftan hasn't paid for a game in years.

You must have him confused with someone else. Kaftan is a smart guy, he knows that this gaming hobby of his relies on sales in order to move forward. I seriously doubt an upstanding guy like Kaftan would ever resort to common theft just to play a game.

Piratpartiet, eller hur, Kaftan?

Anyways, I really wouldn't mind a new stealth game, but this looks like the bottom of the bargain-bin material. Might try it first though, Steam can be ciky.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

I said i tried it, I dont own the game. I wouldnt go out and just buy a game that I wasnt reasonably sure Id enjoy. And I do own a very large number of games. If you check my steam( "Kaftan" with the jesus licking bowling ball) its gots some games on it there aswell for proof :banghead: And Im not a member, but I will be voting on PP for the EU parlament election comming up now because we dont want anymore limited game installs or copyrights that last 3000 years.

But on what I said before, this might very well be a decent game, its just that it didnt suit my tastes.

Edited by Kaftan Barlast

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I read up on the lady this game is based on, and it amazes me how terribly immature so many development studios are. Did the brainstorm go like this?

"Hey, here's a story about a war hero who went behind enemy lines and organized resistance movements. Tragically she was captured and executed, but not before spending time in a concentration camp and being tortured."

"Great, let's make an action game where she goes sneaking around killing Nazi's, and let's make special killing moves like Mortal Kombat!"

Way to pay tribute, wankers.