Obsidian making Fallout: New Vegas

Fionavar

I wonder if we get to see some exotic dancers and strippers. It's Vegas, after all!

if Bethie allows it. it's Bethesda after all!

Probably not, Bethesda doesn't want nudity or sexual references while shooting bad guys into a pool of blood or nuking entire cities. They just don't wanna see it.

Somebody has to think of the children; nippleslips while committing murder? There has to be some morality and decency, goddammit!

Why do you think that? Has Bethie always been so conservative about that stuff? :o

Most likely not them, but there's vocal minority that has nothing better to do than to complain about the moral decay and about nudity. It is simply not cost-effective to try handle the matter in a mature way, considering the budget at hand.

"Some men see things as they are and say why?"
"I dream things that never were and say why not?"
- George Bernard Shaw

"Hope in reality is the worst of all evils because it prolongs the torments of man."
- Friedrich Nietzsche

"The amount of energy necessary to refute bull**** is an order of magnitude bigger than to produce it."

- Some guy 

Hopefully Obsidian can finally include a Gay Male romance in this Game. <3

It was already possible in Fallout 2. Well, a shotgun wedding isn't exactly romantic, even a gay one.

Well more specifically, I've been waiting for Obsidian to finally include an actual Gay Male romance in one of their games. *waits*

Instead of the Biowarian typical let's just have a lesbian romance.*

*well they DID have a Gay Male romance in Jade Empire... but still...

I wonder if we get to see some exotic dancers and strippers. It's Vegas, after all!

if Bethie allows it. it's Bethesda after all!

Probably not, Bethesda doesn't want nudity or sexual references while shooting bad guys into a pool of blood or nuking entire cities. They just don't wanna see it.

Somebody has to think of the children; nippleslips while committing murder? There has to be some morality and decency, goddammit!

Why do you think that? Has Bethie always been so conservative about that stuff? :o

I have no idea where the 'Bethesda is conservative' idea is coming from. No, they've never had a hot coffee mod, but their skins showed more skin than NWN2 models. I also remember a very creepy series of questions about sex with corpses in Oblivion.

If Bethesda appears to lack sexuality, it's because every last character is cardboard thin.

Well more specifically, I've been waiting for Obsidian to finally include an actual Gay Male romance in one of their games. *waits*

Instead of the Biowarian typical let's just have a lesbian romance.*

*well they DID have a Gay Male romance in Jade Empire... but still...

But still what?

Obsidian ‘romances’ are horrible and they haven’t shown any inclination to include a same-sex one for males.

Edited by Maria Caliban

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

I think the comment about being conservative was in comparison to previous Fallouts, where the world was a lot more mature than F3's fairly clean place where even the whore, the only whore in a junktown of misfits, is a valued member of the community.

On Oblivion, well, sexuality has never been much of a part of the TES series. It's there, definitely, but theyir focus is obviously elsewhere than portraying a morally gray world.

Just wish they'd get the madmaxian afterworld where the ones with guns make the laws - feel right.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

On Oblivion, well, sexuality has never been much of a part of the TES series.

Daggerfall and Battlespire both featured very casual nudity. I never played Arena or Redguard, but they may have as well.

Oh Jimmy, you were so funny.

Don't let me down.

From habit he lifts his watch; it shows him its blank face.

Zero hour, Snowman thinks. Time to go.

On Oblivion, well, sexuality has never been much of a part of the TES series.

Daggerfall and Battlespire both featured very casual nudity. I never played Arena or Redguard, but they may have as well.

I never played Daggerfall or Battlespire, only Arena, Redguard and the two recent titles. Colour me corrected.

kirottu said:
I was raised by polar bears. I had to fight against blood thirsty wolves and rabid penguins to get my food. Those who were too weak to survive were sent to Sweden.

It has made me the man I am today. A man who craves furry hentai.

So let us go and embrace the rustling smells of unseen worlds

Bethesda has also completely changed hands since that time, both in ownership and management. Seeing the nudity used to be no big deal to old Bethesda, not something to flaunt or hide in shame.

Don't let me down.

Well, it's not only Beth itself, but the whole ESRB rating system. E.g. The Witcher, a Polish game, was uncensored in most of Europe, while in the US the nudity was censored.

That had nothing to do with ESRB since they never saw the original version, and was done at the request of the publisher, Atari.

"Moral indignation is a standard strategy for endowing the idiot with dignity." Marshall McLuhan

I agree (except for the combat part). But the hatred for Bethesda and new, scary things somehow colours all their opinions about Fallout 3. Yes, the quests were bad. Does that automatically mean the combat was bad, the technology was bad, every new idea that Bethesda brought to the game was bad? No, not really. And this is why it's so annoying trying to discuss Fallout with fans of the series. It's like they all played the old games ten years ago and forgot 95% of them.

otoh, FO3 has an assload of problems and there's no reason to simply wave the pom-poms either.

FO3 has fewer problems than Oblivion, true, which is always a cause for hope for Bethie's future.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

Actually there were nude temple priestesses in Daggerfall and a brothel in Morrowind. I'd say that as graphics have become more in-your-face they've walked a fine line, including mature situations but limiting the visuals. I'd also hazard that this approach has served them well. Their games appeal to a wider audience out of the box and those who really want nudity download mods.

As far as the gritty game-world goes, I'm all for it. In fact, you could include sex, hard-core drug use, and a plethora of societal vices. However depict them in a mature manner. If there's a lot of sex, depict rampant sexually transmitted diseases. If there are drugs on every corner, depict the physical and psychological effects on what's left of society. Don't just include these elements to stroke the "Mad Max" ego of the players. Show vices for what they are -- fun, but inevitably self-destructive, especially when allowed to grow unchecked.

In regards to homosexual romances... I don't want any romances. I don't want some trite, hastened, over the top, puking on my keyboard romance. I'm not against romantic elements, but I've never seen a game romance that rose above the level of a puerile wet dream. Most of them don't even aspire to reach that far.

If the game is epic (oh that word!) enough in time scale to permit a realistic romance to develop between characters, so be it. In that case, I don't care if there's homosexual romance, heterosexual romance, or good old autoeroticism.

However, when promoting the gritty game world and romances, realize that most of these sound a lot more fun in theory than they will pan out in gameplay. Anything hardcore between the levels of Fallout 1 to Fallout 3 would be fine by me. Otherwise, you might make the game so gritty and realistic that it's just not fun.

Hey, what types of venereal disease could they include? Herpes could intermittently lower str, end, and agil during painful outbreaks. Syphilis could cause brain damage, lowering per, int, and cha.

Most people don't really seem to want mature treatment of these particular issues. What they want is freedom to screw some hooker.

These comments are not really pointed at anyone in particular, but if you feel like being offended.... *shrug*

SO the #1 question is.... what should be the opening song?

I think the number one question is: How interesting will the main story be?

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

or better yet, how much money will it cost to gain the use of a Sinatra song? keeping it in the 50's, there's "To Love and Be Loved" which could hold a nice ironic twist if they use the "to be safe and sheltered from the storm" bit.

Edited by TwinkieGorilla

Hey, what types of venereal disease could they include? Herpes could intermittently lower str, end, and agil during painful outbreaks. Syphilis could cause brain damage, lowering per, int, and cha.

You'd think a world with mentos and personal armor would have condoms and birth control.

A hero is what we need.

Sorry, We don't need another hero.

"When is this out. I can't wait to play it so I can talk at length about how bad it is." - Gorgon.

Mr. Bojangles, by Sammy Davis Jr.

Edited by crakkie

Don't let me down.