What you did today

Gorth

edit: You made me curious so I went and checked. I pay $72.45/month.

edit2: I get free towels. :)

For 72.45, you'd better.

I could have gotten a lower level membership, true. But I didn't want to be limited to what hours I coudl go there.

Anyway, the convenience is great. Its lliterally a five minute walk from my building. Heck, it may be three minute walk. That kind od accessibility saves a lot of time and money there.

Did I mention I get free towels?

And they have spray bottles. :yes:

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

For that much money I'd want a flunky in a white tuxedo to towel the damn machine for me. :thumbsup:

"It wasn't lies. It was just... bull****"."

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

I slept right through my alarm clock and missed a meeting with a professor at uni which took ages to set up. I'm going to be angry at the world for the rest of today at least.

Why does one always think it's possible to close one's eyes 'just for a few minutes' when dead tired.

Na na  na na  na na  ...

greg358 from Darksouls 3 PVP is a CHEATER.

That is all.

I was curious and chased a few links on google and can find nothing that indicates that people need different types of sugars.

you NEED glucose to provide fuel for your brain (look it up on wiki if you're not convinced), not "different types of sugars." fructose does not substitute for glucose as it digests differently. processed sugar is sucrose, which breaks down into a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule. carbs do the same, i.e., they break down into simple sugars.

taks

comrade taks... just because.

I was curious and chased a few links on google and can find nothing that indicates that people need different types of sugars.

you NEED glucose to provide fuel for your brain (look it up on wiki if you're not convinced), not "different types of sugars." fructose does not substitute for glucose as it digests differently. processed sugar is sucrose, which breaks down into a glucose molecule and a fructose molecule. carbs do the same, i.e., they break down into simple sugars.

taks

I'm not asking my question properly.

I can't find any nutriton site that says you need to supplement a diet of fruits and vegetables and grains and nuts with additonal sugars. IE, you need to drink soda along with your broccolli in order to have a compete diet.

Notice how I can belittle your beliefs without calling you names. It's a useful skill to have particularly where you aren't allowed to call people names. It's a mistake to get too drawn in/worked up. I mean it's not life or death, it's just two guys posting their thoughts on a message board. If it were personal or face to face all the usual restraints would be in place, and we would never have reached this place in the first place. Try to remember that.

taks

this is why when we're all total cyborgs (a brain in a box if you will) we can survive on like 1 candy bar for a day :lol:

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.

I can't find any nutriton site that says you need to supplement a diet of fruits and vegetables and grains and nuts with additonal sugars. IE, you need to drink soda along with your broccolli in order to have a compete diet.

oh, no, i agree with this. i don't think that's what the doctor was getting at in hurlshot's comment, however. it seemed to me (obviously purely a hypothetical guess) that the doctor thought said friend was not getting a proper amount of some type of sugar, which to me would imply glucose, for some otherwise unspecified medical reason (maybe hypoglycemia?). i assumed glucose because it seems to be the one that is most required by the body (based on my readings and my understanding of diabetes due to my wife and son).

taks

PS: my son does not have diabetes, but he does have the gene for it. he's in three studies now: one called DAISY which is attempting to uncover the link between diet and appearance of the autoantibodies that ultimately kill the islet cells in the pancreas, one called Trial Net which is an attempt at preventing diabetes once the autoantibodies appear, and one other that i have no idea about. john hates getting his blood drawn, btw.

it seemed to me (obviously purely a hypothetical guess) that the doctor thought said friend was not getting a proper amount of some type of sugar, which to me would imply glucose, for some otherwise unspecified medical reason (maybe hypoglycemia?). i assumed glucose because it seems to be the one that is most required by the body (based on my readings and my understanding of diabetes due to my wife and son).

That was the basis for my question really.

What kind of diet prevents someone from having enough glucose? I haven't found any mention of low glucose ever being a dietary problem, versus say low protein or low calcium or other dietary defeciencies that do get talked about it.

If you have diabetes 1 or 2, your body still gets the glucose; it simply can't utilize it properly.

What kind of diet prevents someone from having enough glucose?

hypoglycemia results in lower than necessary levels of glucose in the blood, and thus requires higher than normal intake of glucose or things that metabolize to glucose quickly.

taks

I had a small revelation yesterday that is just sinking in.

I'm sure many of you who have left home will have had the "Dammit I can eat a whole bag of sweets if I feel like it " moment. I had that moment many years ago now, but I suddenly realised that I've spent the last five years subordinated to my family pressures, and by God I'll not stand for it any more. I'm sick of the whole business. I'll stand by my mum, but the rest can hang. I'm an adult, I'm a professional, I've been stabbed, shot at, and s**t on, yet I've been letting the squirrely bastards point fingers and define who I am for all this time.

On that note, I'm off for a walk. :lol:

-Elwood Blues

tarna's dead; processing... complete. Disappointed by Universe. RIP Hades/Sand/etc. Here's hoping your next alt has a harp.

awww... our little walshy-pooh is growing up!

taks

ROFL. o:):lol:

-Elwood Blues

What kind of diet prevents someone from having enough glucose?

hypoglycemia results in lower than necessary levels of glucose in the blood, and thus requires higher than normal intake of glucose or things that metabolize to glucose quickly.

taks

Yes. And that's the only time I have heard its desireable to drink fruit juice. But other than suffering hypoglycemia, nobody really needs to worry about adding sugar to their diet. To the contrary, they are far better off cutting out as much as possible, because most people get far more than they need anyway.

AT least, such has always been my understanding.

Shat.

Interesting, you can overcome the filter with grammar. Incidentally you should worry about what this place is doing to your language. Yes I'm looking at you Walsh. Little stars do not belong in written language.

Losing my father to cancer was a really rough time for me, keep your chin up.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

Shat.

Interesting, you can overcome the filter with grammar. Incidentally you should worry about what this place is doing to your language. Yes I'm looking at you Walsh. Little stars do not belong in written language.

Losing my father to cancer was a really rough time for me, keep your chin up.

What if that's how we talk in England? Eh? Eh?

I am sorry for your loss, Gorgo. I haven't lost my mum yet, but I can guess what it will be like. I lost my godfather to cancer and was fething FURIOUS for ages. I just couldn't believe how someone so awesome could be taken when so many asshats still ran around free.

It's funny, because in many ways I do feel like I'm growing up all over again. I had to support my mum when I was a teenager through chronic depression and recovery after spinal meningitis. It offset the teenage rebellion until I left at 17 and went travelling. Even then it wasn't on purpose. I just came back and found I'd gone far beyond the restraints I had known. Finding she had cancer i did what I am used to doing, which is help, in spite of any trivial interpersonal rubbish. What I'm doing now is different, because it's a rebellion from my siblings. They've always been far more 'cool', even though looking back I've got a lot more to show for my life, and I guess I have been struggling to overcome the feeling of distance. It's natural to want some sort of familial bond, but frankly I don't see it happening for most people. It's the people you choose, your friends, who you really get close to and can count on.

:lol:

A bit depressing. But it's not totally bleak, after all. I mean you've only got one family. You can make as many friends as you like! I do feel sorry for my family, in spite of everything.

-Elwood Blues

AT least, such has always been my understanding.

i think that is a safe bet, yes. i suppose there could be some other medical maladies that would require something similar, things that aren't nearly as common (noting that hypoglycemia is not common to begin with).

taks

I don't know who this dominic grieve fellow is Wals but he sure makes me sound damn smart and I like it. I'm proud of you wals.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

Making coffee, reading news on internet, doing physical therapy in a bit, feeding dogs, sitting on porch throwing ball to dogs, working on laptop. Just another day.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

Helping my friend plan his new start up business. It's a lot of fun doing the conceptual stuff.

Read a bit, ate salad, played Company of Heroes, sorted company accounts (again).

-Elwood Blues

Helping my friend plan his new start up business. It's a lot of fun doing the conceptual stuff.

Read a bit, ate salad, played Company of Heroes, sorted company accounts (again).

Your friend should check out score.org. They are a pretty neat not for profit organization that helps small businesses and start ups. They have everything from the entire layout of a Business Plan and how to do it to all sorts of other helpful little hints and tips. I'm not sure if they have anything in the UK but you can also do some face to face consulting and what not.

There was a time when I questioned the ability for the schizoid to ever experience genuine happiness, at the very least for a prolonged segment of time. I am no closer to finding the answer, however, it has become apparent that contentment is certainly a realizable goal. I find these results to be adequate, if not pleasing. Unfortunately, connection is another subject entirely. When one has sufficiently examined the mind and their emotional constructs, connection can be easily imitated. More data must be gleaned and further collated before a sufficient judgment can be reached.

In Denmark you can apply for favorable startup loans and tax benefits, unfortunately most of us feel too comfortable being salary slaves. Up to about a decade ago the government would even write you a check to get your business going. No money for those kinds of shenanigans in today's economy.

Edited by Gorgon

Na na  na na  na na  ...

That is all.

so, more seriously, how's the recovery coming along?

taks

It's not so bad. It only hurts when I move. My teeth are what bothers me more than anything, but I can't get them fixed until the leg cast comes off. But I am going to have a very cool scar from my ear to jaw that I will of couse lie about how I got it.

"While it is true you learn with age, the down side is what you often learn is what a damn fool you were before"

Thomas Sowell

But I am going to have a very cool scar from my ear to jaw that I will of couse lie about how I got it.

saving a basket full of newborn infants from a pack of rabid wolves in the backcountry would be an interesting story. the ladies might dig it. it's all about the ladies either way.

taks

But I am going to have a very cool scar from my ear to jaw that I will of couse lie about how I got it.

saving a basket full of newborn infants from a pack of rabid wolves in the backcountry would be an interesting story. the ladies might dig it. it's all about the ladies either way.

taks

Heh, or you could scare people off by saying you got it in a bar fight with an army of bikers.

Victor of the 5 year fan fic competition!

Kevin Butler will awesome your face off.