Drakensang

Jorian Drake

I tried the demo and my reaction was kinda similar to that of mkreku. It seem like an interesting RPG ruleset but the demo doesn't allow you anything nor tell you anything and when the story, dialogue and voice acting is significantly lower than even the original BG and the game has some highly questionable design decisions then I don't see much reason for me to buy it.

The prequel might be interesting if they produce a demo that actually shows/tells you something and perhaps hire a writer or two.

The primary thing that worked well was the camera was incredibly smooth and likable.

sporegif20080614235048aq1.gif

Is the game closer to BG/NWN or to Dungeon Siege?

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

I've started the Demo. Not wild about how its set up to move the camera view and see no way to change it. Combat is kinda wonky but maybe that's because I haven't got used to it. Ruleset seems neat, but I'm not sure what I have to do to raise certain stats. Some neat fiddly stuff.

Makes me interested enough to give the game itself a try at some point.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

I was dumb enough to try the demo, it felt very amateurish and the writing was ridiculous.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

This game actually sounds fun to me. I'll wait to read some reviews and player impressions before I buy, but it does look like an enjoyable romp for party-based RGP fans like myself. Then again, I'm not particularly stringent in my reviews of games I play. If I had fun, I like it. Fun is a good thing. :w00t: I'll be watching for this one.

I was dumb enough to try the demo, it felt very amateurish and the writing was ridiculous.

Maybe I didn't get far enough in to the demo, but the writing didn't seem bad - it was serviceable. It reminds me in a way of older RPGs where there wasn't a lot of subtlety in dialogue options.

Then again very few games ever really wow me with their writing.

I cannot - yet I must. How do you calculate that? At what point on the graph do "must" and "cannot" meet? Yet I must - but I cannot! ~ Ro-Man

Should I conclude that the gameplay is closer to Dungeon Siege than NWN? Not much story, lots of battles...

"Ooo, squirrels, Boo! I know I saw them! Quick, throw nuts!" -Minsc

"I am a well-known racist in the Realms! Elves? Dwarves? Ha! Kill'em all! Humans rule! -Me

Volourn will never grow up, he's like the Black Peter Pan, here to tell you that it might be great to always be a child, but everybody around is gonna hate it. :p

Should I conclude that the gameplay is closer to Dungeon Siege than NWN? Not much story, lots of battles...

No, there wasn't a lot of battles.. but then again there wasn't a lot of anything in the demo. But it's nothing like Dungeon Siege, that's for sure.

Oh, and ignore Kaftan's replies in this thread. He's just stuck in the old "the writing sucks" routine that seems to be the in-thing to say right now among emo internet kids.

Swedes, go to: Spel2, for the latest game reviews in swedish!

Well, if you enjoy ye olde english fantasy gibberish then, yes the writing will probably not bother you. For the rest of us, it's less enjoyable.

DISCLAIMER: Do not take what I write seriously unless it is clearly and in no uncertain terms, declared by me to be meant in a serious and non-humoristic manner. If there is no clear indication, asume the post is written in jest. This notification is meant very seriously and its purpouse is to avoid misunderstandings and the consequences thereof. Furthermore; I can not be held accountable for anything I write on these forums since the idea of taking serious responsability for my unserious actions, is an oxymoron in itself.

Important: as the following sentence contains many naughty words I warn you not to read it under any circumstances; botty, knickers, wee, erogenous zone, psychiatrist, clitoris, stockings, bosom, poetry reading, dentist, fellatio and the department of agriculture.

"I suppose outright stupidity and complete lack of taste could also be considered points of view. "

I only played Dungeon Seige (not the sequel) but it doesn't seem to be much like that game.

It didn't really feel like NWN either. It felt kind of like an older RPG with a 3D engine. From the little I played the Demo.